Time up for Binotto? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Time up for Binotto?

Discussion in 'F1' started by garrobitto, Jul 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garrobitto

garrobitto Karting

Jul 12, 2020
    Alameda
    Full Name:
    Garrobito Alado
    So... finally happened, Binotto is not anymore the technical responsible for Ferrari, just the... hummm..... administrative leader?? that is really a tittle?? seems to me (like I say before) it's a step down before exit =====>. Binotto is in the same position as Anthony Fauci... they're not gonna abandon the boat yet but as soon as possible they will be out with a bitter remembering. They're, literally, dead walking people...

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    He's team principal, that's still a lot. Ferrari was the only team where the team principal and the technical director were the same person. I thought that it was a provisional solution after the rushed departure of Arrivabene, I'm surprised that Binotto held the two titles for so long.

I suppose that with the horizontal organization they had, the workload of the technical director was distributed between the different bosses so he thought there was no need to name a different person for that. But it didn't work.

crinoid likes this.
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  4. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    You know, I think SF made a series of errors that got us here. First, chasing out LdM was a bit harsh. The Lawyer had many championships to his credit despite his tantrums in the pit lane when the hybrid era began. Then Sweater changed the style to many peoples disgust. I must admit though, his work for the Alfa Giulia Quad was fantastic and I miss him for that alone. Before his passing, letting J. Allison go after his wife died was a bit cold, but it may have been mutual. I'm not sure. And now we see him on the MB team kicking butt. Arrivebene getting sacked in favor of Binotto should have been good from a tech perspective, and I think it was, but somehow they allowed a tech cheat to go though...and at a deep level... that now the car is hamstrung because of the ban. Technically it made power, politically and rules wise it was a serious error. Sporting director will help for the management but the MGU is still screwed. I am almost positive that the decision to let Vettel go was based ENTIRELY on financials despite what SF says. It makes perfect sense given the COVID pandemic, impact on Italy, and now the engine ban and 2 cheap drivers going forward. If Vettel gets the Racing Point seat and kicks butt, it will be another banner year for SF like in the turbo era, and when Prost criticized the car. Lauda did too before turbos but he backed it up with lap times. Man do I miss Lauda and I pray he has a few blessings for the Red team as well as his late Silver (Black) Arrows. Oh.. and TESTING please for God's Sake! :D

635CSI, garrobitto and crinoid like this.
  5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Getting rid of LdM was a good choice. This is the guy who drove off Schumacher, Brawn, and Todt. How was getting rid of MA good on a technical level? Under him, Ferrari produced the first WCC/WDC capable car in a long time. Binotto is out of his depth. Pitwall is still screwing things up left and right. Those people should have gotten the boot a long time ago.

Under Binotto, the team went from being capable of bagging #1, and this year they will finish 5th.

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    P12 ...oh P10 with the retirements sorry .....wtf

7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The car is crap, the engine is crap, but I still think Binotto will build a winning team around Charles.
    They have a good relationship, if you disagree ask Seb?

8. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    Binotto will be TP at least until the end of 2022. The higher ups are backing him and will make their decision after the first season of the new regulations. If Ferrari is far off from the top still in 2022, I can see them thinking of replacing him.

9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Well he took the step of not renewing Vettel, which was long overdue. Hopefully he’ll improve the technical organization. I think this year’s lack of performance was a perfect storm of the engine directives and a premature lock-down in Italy followed by the imposed lock-down. But mostly he doesn’t come across as an arrogant a** like Arrivabene.

jpalmito and 635CSI like this.
  10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    LdM got rid of MS 1-2 years too soon, and the result was that Brawn and Todt also left.
    It is still debatable whether LdM let go of Alonso too early, but the engine was crap, and it would be several season before the engine was proper once again. Alonso knew this and did not want to eat crow for another 2 years.
    Binoto did not get rid of Vettel soon enough.

DF1 likes this.
  11. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Ah, I see 2 things about MA I can agree with. On one hand his marketing experience was good for team management and getting people to work together, with all their emotions and psychology, blah blah blah. You know the big business stuff. But on the other hand, the big business stuff (tobacco in particular) may have contributed to his @$$ like persona and upset people the other direction. But still the engine cheat was just dumb.

One thing I'm curious about is SF using the Gurney flap and MB not, even though MB came from a position of power MGU wise. SF designed the rear wings with the engine cheat baked in. Now it's a hindrance.

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Additionally there are a [very] limited amount of top technical engineers available to SF to employ / poach, thats why the merc team is functioning at its best. Strip away the experienced engineers / designers as SF did some years ago and you are relying on upcoming people with little knowledge / understanding on the current trend / needs in F1. You can organise all you like and be super efficient but you will still struggle with innovation.

Merc team builds from within so anyone that leaves is not missed and the show [dominance] goes on.

Best

Tony

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Somewhere in a beautiful villa, Arri is just chilling and having a laugh at the Scuderia's situation

635CSI, mcimino and Col. Kurtz like this.
  14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree firing binotto would be dramatic.
    Camilleri should take his responsibilities and involved himselves much more into the scuderia.
    Binotto needs support and human investment.

Igor Ound likes this.
  15. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I don't think so.
    A real tifoso could not be happy with that.
    By the way he perfectly knows he wouldn't have done any better than Binotto

635CSI and Igor Ound like this.
  16. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Bas likes this.
  17. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #142 Frank_C, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2020
    I agree with the articles. The clown needs to go. As pointed out, irrespective of the final outcome, it is the design “concepts” of this (SF 1000) and the previous iterations that were wrong and that is ultimately the responsibility of the clown.

High rake, low drag/low downforce then high drag low downforce (uh that’s smart)........concepts just didn’t work.

And the PR mess with his mishandling of Vettel. What an idiot-cretino! It is bad enough the rest of the world sees him as the fool he is but now he has drug Ferrari down to his level.

The bozo era is amongst the worse Ferrari has ever seen. It is a shame Marko doesn’t have anyone’s ear at Ferrari- a little Red Bull swap would go a long way- Vasseur is on contract, and well respected in the paddock. What little respect he had is now gone as his visage reflects the clown he truly is. In his case you can judge a book by its cover.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, Forghieri didn´t say that Binotto has to go, quite the opposite, he thinks that it´s better to keep the current crew and bring some reinforcements.

Althoguh I disagree with the part about Vettel: he had to go. Some said back in the day that they should have kept Raikkonen too, but after seeing what Leclerc is doing, I don´t think nobody is complaining about that anymore.

635CSI, william and crinoid like this.
  19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Constant bloodletting and management change will utterly destroy any organisation.
    Ferrari has already suffered a lot from witch-hunting in the last 5-6 years.

Boomhauer and jpalmito like this.
  20. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Just had a comment from a distant cousin in Serramazzoni. Last winter, one of the Ferrari "engineers" rode his bike in the nude, and my cousin thinks that if this the kind of people influencing the design, no wonder the car is less than good.

Boomhauer and william like this.
  21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Do they really have a plan to improve long term ?
    I have some doubts ..

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    After his comments RE Vettel this week, and his horrible cars....I can't see much reason for him staying anymore.

23. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #148 635CSI, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    We all have doubts.
    They battle with our hopes.
    Thus is the fate of those who support once great but now mediocre sports teams.

I am sure they have a plan, I am starting to doubt that it is an adequate plan.
    If the engine freeze is aS ‘set in stone’ as we believe , were aren’t going to win for 2 years.
    Maybe now is the time for reorganisation?

At the moment, after Spain, I’m honestly not sure.

jpalmito likes this.
  24. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Aldo Costa firing was a disaster.

Bas and Sig. Roma like this.
  25. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Back in the days when Ferrari was run by Montezemolo and Domenicali. Dumbest moves Montezemolo made to "italianize" the team.

Jakuzzi, jpalmito and Bas like this.