Spain GP 2020 Pre race thread | FerrariChat

Spain GP 2020 Pre race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Aug 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Another race next weekend! :)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53717284

Leading Formula 1 drivers are comfortable with racing at the Spanish Grand Prix despite a rise in coronavirus cases in the country.

The rise in cases in Spain has been particularly marked in Barcelona and the Catalonia region, where the race is held.

Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen and Valtteri Bottas said they would ensure limited contact with the outside world.

"I stay at the track always so nothing changes for me," said Hamilton.

"I stay in my 'bubble'. I am only around a couple of people so I will get to the airport and go straight to my motorhome and stay at the track for four days, same as I have this weekend."

F1 has imposed strict protocols on staff to minimise the risks around coronavirus.

Red Bull's Max Verstappen, who won Sunday's 70th Anniversary Grand Prix added: "You minimise contact. You stay in your bubble. I don't expect any trouble. It's not only in Spain there is corona. You just have to be careful."

And Hamilton's team-mate Valtteri Bottas said that drivers "should be safe" as long as they followed guidelines.

"Land in Spain, go directly to the track, only be with people in my bubble. Then leave with the same people to the next place."

F1 faces the same problem at the following race in Belgium, where there has also been a spike in cases.

A spokesman said: "We are looking forward to racing in Spain and Belgium, and as we have throughout this season, we will ensure the safety of our people and the commuters we visit remains our priority.

"We have strict procedures in place including operating in bubbles, ongoing testing and the use of PPE to ensure we operate as safely as possible."

What's happening with the calendar?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The Vietnam Grand Prix was one of several races postponed or cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic
    F1 still does not have a complete race schedule for this season.

Thirteen races have been scheduled so far, with the last confirmed race at Imola in Italy on 1 November.

The season will end in the Middle East with races in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, but the sport has not yet come up with a firm plan for November.

It had hoped to revive the Vietnam Grand Prix, which was originally scheduled to make its debut on the calendar in April, but hopes of holding a race in Hanoi this year have receded in recent weeks.

Vietnam has been one of the most successful countries in dealing with coronavirus but an outbreak in the coastal resort of Da Nang has highlighted the risks.

Insiders say F1 is looking at the possibility of holding further races in Europe or nearby in November and is talking to the Jerez circuit in southern Spain and the Istanbul Park track in Turkey.

Jerez last held a Grand Prix in 1997, but has been an irregular venue for testing, while Istanbul held a Grand Prix from 2005-11.

Vietnam remains a possibility but if it cannot happen, F1 would go to either Jerez or Istanbul, or possibly both.

F1 wants to secure at least 16 races because that is the minimum required to guarantee full payment of TV contracts.

And the number of races that are held in November will likely dictate whether there are one or two Grands Prix held in Bahrain before the season finale in Abu Dhabi.

paulchua and william like this.
  2. DF1

Weather as you would want for summer: 27-29C / 22 evening. The track will be warm!

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    What is happening with Perez? Is he still quarantined in England?

4. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    may toto's tyre blistering woes be mighty

F2003-GA, stavura, ingegnere and 6 others like this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    No. Perez will be back in Spain.

6. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    He has to test negative first (which they expect him to).

pilotoCS likes this.
  7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Another solid performance from Charles would be good.
    More great racecraft from Albon.
    And further ignoring of team strategy from Max :D

Should Vettel even bother turning up ?

ingegnere and DF1 like this.
  8. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I dont get it . Perez tested positive twice
    Now they expect him to test negative?
    Im not a MD of course but, how can one test - days after testing +? The virus doesnt simply dies in your body or leave your body
    Unless doctors gave him a special medicine...Im really confused on this one

9. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hulk proved he should be in a seat somewhere IMO...

DF1 likes this.
  10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I had the same thoughts. Once you really have it, you normally don't test negative for about six weeks.

ingegnere and william like this.
  11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Here is hoping for some more trouble for the Mercs, would make for a more interesting season if Max could continue to take the fight to them.

At any rate, I'm relieved to see no more Silverstone races. Two at that place gets boring, especially without rain.

DF1 likes this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Deliveries.....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tire info
    Minimum pressures for the SpanishGP
    Front: 23 psi (+1) Rear 20,5 (+1)
    Max cambers : - 3,25(=) -1,75(=)
    Compounds C1, C2, C3 2021 tyres test during FP2 30'

Schultz, nietoale1, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Viva Espagna!

14. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I wonder if Alonso will be there...

DF1 likes this.
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Probably with Renault unless he has been in the USA.

DF1 likes this.
  16. DF1

Mix it up!!!

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am wondering if Renault will not protest him post-race; they are on a roll at the moment. ;)

18. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/151272/hulkenberg-was-merc-choice-for-2013-after-hamilton - Lance should be happy to have Perez back LOL. Superb compliments for Nico!!

Nico Hulkenberg was Mercedes' second choice to join the team for the 2013 Formula 1 season had it not signed Lewis Hamilton, Ross Brawn has revealed.

Hulkenberg made his F1 race comeback at Silverstone on Sunday, deputising for Sergio Perez at Racing Point after the Mexican driver tested positive for COVID-19.

After an issue prevented him from taking the start of the British Grand Prix one week earlier, Hulkenberg qualified an impressive third for the 70th Anniversary race, and was on course for a top-five finish before a late pit stop dropped him to seventh.

Hulkenberg's showing won him praise throughout the paddock after a late notice return, having not driven an F1 car since his final appearance for Renault in 2019.

Writing in his post-race column, F1 managing director of motorsports Brawn gave credit to Hulkenberg for his performance, and revealed he considered signing him during his time at Mercedes.

"It was going to be an incredible physical challenge for Nico Hulkenberg," Brawn said.

"I don't know how much he hurt at the end of the race, but it was great performance all weekend by someone who had just been dropped in the deep end.

"I almost signed him years ago, when I was in charge at Mercedes. If Lewis hadn't joined Mercedes when he did, Nico was our next choice.

"I've always respected Nico enormously as a driver. He's a very strong driver who should be in Formula 1."

375+ likes this.
  19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Renault can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned. Sour loosers.

william likes this.
  20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Why don't Ferrari release Vettel and insert Nico ?

21. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I was actually going to type that instead, but did not want to get flogged.....

22. DF1

Get Carlos early and send Nico to Mclaren.

greg328, Nembo1777 and tifosi12 like this.
  23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    That would work, too.

24. DF1

I think if you change driver's just get the new one now. With so little time off between races, this is impratical. No real time for Carlos to integrate quickly to a new team like Ferrari. I see Vettel staying unless he simply leaves.

tifosi12 likes this.
  25. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    375+ likes this.