488 - Ferrari 488 exhaust valves | FerrariChat

488 Ferrari 488 exhaust valves

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by john Owen, Aug 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Does anyone know what effect these valves have on torque and power at different revs..It's a popular theory that having valves closed at low revs increases back pressure increasing torque..In contrast at higher revs they remain open to increase gas flow which increases power..
    As i understand it the further you twist the Manettino dial the earlier in the rev range these valves open..How does this affect performance and throttle response.?
    I'm asking this as i'm considering buying an aftermarket exhaust and wondering if there are any cons to buying one without valves..The valveless ones are lighter, simpler and a chunk less money to buy..
    Ideally i'd like a valveless Inconel back box..Has anyone done with and any regrets or issues with low end torque.
    Many thanks in advance..

2. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I have mine plugged so valves always open and after doing it noticed no difference in Torque. Since 488 torque is limited at lower RPM's I can't
    see having them open would make any difference. I wouldnt waste the money buying a valved system, you will never want to shut them

3. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Many thanks..This is just what i want to hear. Hope to get other responses to help clarify the situation.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    The measure here is boost recovery and turbo response. Those who have plugged their valves have removed any benchmark to measure against, so it becomes easy to tout there has been no compromise. Keep in mind Ferrari's means of creating throttle response and linearity - particularly within the rev ranges where full boost is not instantly available until the rpms rise - involves the valves. It's that simple. They don't use VTG - like it or not but the valves are part of the equation. This has been discussed so many times now I'm beginning to wonder why some are still struggling with this reality?

5. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Not sure what you mean by no benchmark to measure against? I drove the car before and after plugging and noticed no difference at at all. Even if you did lose some car has so much torque that you wont feel it and well worth the trade off since car sounded horrible before. You can get great sound out of a 488 with this simple mod, i really like the pops I now get at low RPM's and car no longer keeps changing sound as they open and close which became very annoying

Napoli likes this.
  6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Valves open from day 1 on my 488. Sound and performance is pure magic.

Kingoye, Napoli and Cigarzman like this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #7 Shadowfax, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    It's not about power or torque because the engine will produce the numbers anyway as the boost recovers. As I said its all about boost recovery time, throttle response, and linearity. Porsche achieves it by using VTG, Ferrari have their own method which involves the valves. When you can switch between both settings at the press of a button in certain driving situations and environments when the engine comes off throttle you can feel the difference. Its all about providing optimum performance but I guess for those who don't drive the car sportingly in these environments they will never know the difference and of course once the valves are disconnected you will never know the variances for obvious reasons. The benchmark is the stock setting with the ECU controlling the valves. And if you've removed that by plugging the valves then where is your benchmark? Simple - gone.

And in so far as never wanting to shut them - i beg to differ. Once you've been on the throttle hard for a few hundred ks it's sometimes very nice to be able to tone it down in between the next onslaught....and in a sleepy town environment. Sometimes it's not all about look at me here I am but more about please don't notice me while I slide past under your radar. A valve controller is all about having options....and worth every cent.

twcferrari likes this.
  8. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    It is pretty easy to drive car fairly quite by just staying in lower RPM's. And speaking of throttle response I highly recommend a Pedalbox, makes car way more responsive and fun to drive

9. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Valves open. If I need power I am downshifting to get the rpms up to around 4K rpm. There’s notion that valves opening and closing helps turbo boost but I notice no lag and can monitor turbo boost and response on the meters and everything works as it should.

Cigarzman likes this.
  10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Valves opened since day one , never looked back. Like it’s not fast enough ? Please .... best , Kirk

Napoli and Viperjoe like this.
  11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Same here using golf tees and zip ties!

Napoli likes this.
  12. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    The valve controller has been known to cause marital discord. On date nights, the wifey wants the valves closed so we can talk or she can listen to music. I prefer listening to the engine over either of those options.

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Mate all you need to do is go lower in revs/ higher gear. Even with valves open , slight accel keeping 80 kms ( 48 miles ) in 7th gear a bloody Prius makes more sound.

14. markt2260

markt2260 Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    I have a capristo stainless valved rear muffler, it’s for sale on eBay in the UK, quiet when you want it to be, louder than stock when you open it up and decent pops and crackles on the over run. Sounds better than my pista.

15. 599freak

599freak Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    Installed the Forza Controller today and would say it’s one of the best mods. Valves open is how the car should have sounded from the factory!

Shadowfax likes this.
  16. Kingoye

Kingoye Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jordan Oyediran
    Did you go with the B4 Controller? can you share photos of how it is installed? did you go with dealer installation? any issues so far?? Congrats by the way. I need a bit more volume from my exhaust.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Definitely both a slower response and a lack of torque when fully open.

No free lunch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app