Buying another Ferrari to get an SF90S? | FerrariChat

Buying another Ferrari to get an SF90S?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Dilusha, Aug 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    I've talked to a couple of guys who've bought another Ferrari to get an SF90S. They had to buy two new F8s to get an SF90S each. Also they don't own any other Ferrari. One of them has had an F430 a long time ago. And the other one has never owned a Ferrari before.

So if you're a new Ferrari customer who wants to buy an SF90S but doesn't own any Ferrari, do you always have to buy another Ferrari?

Cnilsen95 likes this.
  2. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2010
    CA, NV, TX
    Strange.

As far as I know, the SF90 is pretty available if you're able to prove you're an able buyer. It's not hard to get.

Maybe I'm completely off-base and out of touch with reality.

pt95, BarryK and pilotoCS like this.
  3. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    could be dealer nonsense, you should be able to get one - try a few

ZF123 likes this.
  4. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    I was told all allocations were gone in the US a long time ago. You could buy an allocation off someone if you ask the dealer.

5. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Allocations for the first year I think. Isn't it?

6. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Yeah must be, but these are well known Ferrari dealers in US. Good reviews and ratings and etc.

7. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    I'm not entirely sure they distinguish by Model Year, I think its based on allocation / order placement coming from the dealers to Ferrari and then its worked in order from first to last. Depending where your order falls on the list is what drives the model year. For my pista I was one of the first to place the order and I was told it might be a 19 or might be a 20. Ended up being a 19.

8. Dela

Dela Karting

Aug 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    D
    Yes for year 1

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No, you do not always have to buy another Ferrari. This is something mostly seen in the US, the "games".
    On a rare occassion a car is offered which Ferrari puts into its "points system". Note that the SF90 was not such a car. There simply wasn't many allocations. But here in Europe, if a dealer has an allocation, it is yours for the taking. Traditionally this is very different in the US. Customers and dealers have developed a culture where it is perceived as a reward and a favour done to the customer to be able to purchase a new Ferrari. Why that is, is anybody's guess, but it rarely flies here in Europe. If a dealer tells you that you need to purchase another car to get an SF90, he does so only because he is allowed to by the local culture and clients let him.
    Here SF90'S were first come, first served. My dealer has a few very high ranking clients whom is on a waiting list for either a Spider or if someone backs out. They simply waited too long after the reveal, and once they had made up their mind the allocations were gone.

As far as purchasing an SF90 as your first Ferrari? Why not? Yes it is a bit more expensive than an F8 or 812, but where does it say that you have to start with the baby Roma? Some simply like what the car offers and thus want one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Igor Ound and Rembrandt like this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. All Stradale allocations were offered at the beginning. There's only about 1000 which is two years worth of production. The next batch will be the SF90 Spider in the same numbers.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If that was the case, we wouldn't see level 1 clients being turned away.

12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Absolutely not true as I and other have posted above based on recent experience of checking availability with the dealers.

And while we are discussing facts vs speculation, perhaps you care to enlighten us to how you know there are building 1000 cars only. Ferrari themselves have never discussed a figure.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If I tell you where I got that number, will you then tell me which German dealer whom have those allocations you keep mentioning? I asked you in the other thread, but you did not answer.

The 1000 is not precicely 1000. But I was told at the factory as well as at my dealer that it is about 500 units per year over two t
    Years. Will it be 900, 1000 or 1100? Don't know, and frankly I don't really care.
    But I know a few whom would be VERY interested in the allocations you speak of.

Igor Ound likes this.
  14. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    You are both right... all allocations were made soon after the car was launched and the car was sold out for the next 2 years. Since the COVID outbreak, many of those orders have been cancelled and dealers have re-offered those slots. They are not new slots, just the ones from the cancellations. This is not a big production model and three dealers I speak to now have just a couple of unallocated cars in total between them

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    They must make at least 1000 cars per year right? If not, why the hell call it a series production?

16. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Ferrari likes to underpromise and overproduce so take that number with a grain of salt. :D

IloveGT and BarryK like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Serial production applies any car produced in a volume greater than 25. About 500 SF90 per year is the number.

I was told that the SF90 line moves somewhat slower and is more demanding than the other lines.

18. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    I really hope that's not true. They can't call a series production car sold out. If they can't meet the demand, why call it a regular production model?

Dela likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Are we on the same forum? This is Ferrarichat and we are talking about Ferrari, not McLaren.

I sincerely hope they keep doing what they are doing, and keep availability lower than demand. That's what Ferrari does, and that's why they aren't in trouble like McLaren.

20. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Agreed 100%

21. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    We're talking about few thousands here. There aren't tens of thousands of people who are willing to pay 600-700k dollars on a car. If they're only making just 500 per year, then that's far too low.

Dela likes this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No that is not far too low. Twice that is far too many. Do you think they produce 812's in the thousands per year? They don't. If you let anyone who want one have one, you end up where McLaren are at. You take so much away from the car if it becomes easily accessible. Currently Ferrari produces about 8500-9000 cars per year over their ENTIRE range. That means Lusso, Lusso T, SF90, Portofino, F8, Pista and 812. Yes, the Lusso has been discontinued, but they have enough orders to keep that line going for the next 12-18 months. The Roma will come in while the Lusso goes out.
    That's seven cars on what will become about 10000 cars per year once the Roma enters full production. The Porto and F8 cars are the bulk currently, so as you can see, that does not leave much for the rest. If they made 1000 SF90's per year, that would result in a major flood of the market and severe devaluation.

Tommy Boy likes this.
  23. Dela

Dela Karting

Aug 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    D
    I tend to agree with you given the fact that Ferrari is now a public company. Some forum member put it this way “SF90 is limited by the price point, and how many they are capable of making in a set period, and not explicitly by some set volume.” A fair comparison will be to an aventador...there aren’t too many people that can afford one at that similar price point as an SF90.

Anyway great opinions.

24. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I hate to wake you up from your dreams of exclusivity but the answer is yes, they do produce 812s by the thousands. In 2019, according to UK official statistics, 272 cars just in the UK which is reliably 10% of the global production.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/ferrari_812_superfast_s-a

You can check the 10% rule of thum works with cars with known production like 589GTO, F12TDF, 458SA, Laferrari etc.

This would mean global production of 812 was more like 2500-3000 in 2019. Total Ferrari production numbers may not have risen much in 2019, but without regular 488 in production, the sports car pillar of their declared production was mainly 812 with pista in the special series pillar.

technom3 likes this.
  25. XSQF

XSQF Rookie

Apr 5, 2019
    That's because they ramped up production in 2019 for the UK market, hence the delays on some North American cars, look at 2020 figures and you definitely won't see a 2 in front of it.

Lukeylikey, RamsHmb and Il Co-Pilota like this.