Oval tube for 308 GTS | FerrariChat

Oval tube for 308 GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by bill308, Aug 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    #1 bill308, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    My frame holding the rear, lower right side pickup, has damage from an earlier life. I want to repair it, probably by replacing an 8-20 inch length of tubing. I'm assuming the tube is seamless mild steel.

Does anyone have a source for new, oval, chassis tubing?
    I have contacted ProFormance Metals in the UK and Dino Parts in Germany. Superformance in the UK and Ferrari Parts Exchange in the US, offer repair sections.
    Does anyone know the tube wall thickness?
    Has anyone repaired similar damage?

The following photo shows the damaged area.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bill

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Superformance lists the raw oval chassis tubes on their web site in the 308 body panels section. Is this what you are looking for? Part number FER03010 and FER01015.

3. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    #3 bill308, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Hi Brian,
    Thanks for the fast response. Yes, Superformance is one option. What do we know about this tubing? Anyone have experience with it?
    Does anyone have a length of tubing/remnant left over from a previous repair?
    Bill

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I would grind the weld and paint it. I wouldnt want to fool with re alignmentof the new tube. If there is no wheel alignment issue I wouldnt touch it. My opinion.

thorn and waymar like this.
  5. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
  6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #6 pshoejberg, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    The Superformance tubing doesn’t measure correctly. Proformance uk are the only company to my knowledge that can deliver what you need. You need to do a proper repair and change the full length of pipe while having all the fix points supported thoroughly. And yes I have performed same type of repair on one of my Cars. 2 mm Wall thickness sounds correct. I have a stump of the oval profile in my workshop and Can take an accurate measurement if you like.
    best, Peter

7. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    absostone,
    I need to consider your recommendation.

JC Andruet,
    I sent emails to both suppliers you recommended and have received responses from Joe and Phil of proformancemetals.co.uk. They have a length of 92 x 55 mm (3.62 x 2.17 inches), oval, seamless tubing, but probably won't get their pricing until 8/10. I performed a quick measurement of the tube on my car, including paint and maybe other buggers, and came up with 3.73 x 1.9 inches, a little taller, but narrower than my long reach measurement. Pretty good I think.

Peter,
    Yes, I would love to get a tracing of your tube. Can you send the image as a pdf file, with overall width and height measurements? When I do a comparison of oval cross sections, using PowerPoint's drawing feature, and superimpose the profiles, it looks like the the performancemetals' replacement tube, may need to be squeezed a bit. All in all, a pretty good match, I think.

It's a lot of welding to replace the entire tube. I guess I need to take a harder look at the structure as a whole. With the car an hour away, at Automotive Restorations in Stratford, CT, USA, I don't have a good feel for how much support, the body adds to the structure, as a whole. It may also be possible replace a short section and sleeve the repair internally.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

absostone likes this.
  8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Good luck

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007