FORMULA 1 EMIRATES 70TH ANNIVERSARY GRAND PRIX--->QUALIFYING ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 EMIRATES 70TH ANNIVERSARY GRAND PRIX--->QUALIFYING ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Aug 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    13 poles in 3+ seasons....(out of roughly 66 races) He will step up every now and then, but over a season he hasn’t strung together strong performances

william likes this.
  2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Esteban Gutierrez WDC? :D

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    He's basically a carbon copy of Rubens Barrichello....who is probably enjoying this season more than any other human on the planet.

ricksb and DF1 like this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/151197/leclerc-eighth-realistic-picture-for-ferrari

Charles Leclerc says his eighth place in qualifying for the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix is a more realistic indication of how fast Ferrari is right now.

Just one week after Leclerc qualified fourth and finished third for Ferrari at the British GP, the Italian outfit has had a more challenging time this weekend as it has struggled with the softer compound tyres.

Speaking to Sky Sports F1 after the session, Leclerc said he was not particularly shocked that he had been unable to repeat last weekend's result.

"Surprise? No," Leclerc said. "I think it's a bit more realistic picture for us to be honest. We have been struggling more than last week here, especially with the softer tyres.

"We seem to be more aggressive on them and we don't even manage to finish the full lap in Q3 with the soft tyres. They are dropping off quite a lot in the last sector. I lost quite a lot of lap time there, so not much we can do for now. It's like this."

Leclerc suggested that Ferrari's low downforce set up for this weekend has not helped with looking after the tyres, but reckons that adding more downforce would have made its cars too slow on the straights.

Due to the tyre struggles, Leclerc said he was bracing himself for an especially tough race.

"Tomorrow will be a very difficult race," he said. "It's hard to finish the qualifying lap, and it will be very difficult to keep up with the others in the race. But we remain optimistic. I will try my best and see where we end up.

"I think there will be drivers who will take risks and try to make only one pitstop tomorrow, while others will make two. I can't say which strategy we will choose, but we have analysed the data and we are sure about which strategy to adopt."

635CSI likes this.
  5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Understanding that the tire selection for the race being useless, you would expect F1 to try to remedy the situation somehow instead of letting it go on as is.

In this case it seems they’re OK with it and are hoping for more tire stops and basically more of a lottery with the chance of more tire failures.

zygomatic and crinoid like this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, at least the teams know the situation, unlike last weekend.

DF1 likes this.
  7. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    Hulk!!! Hope Nico bags a podium tomorrow and secured a well deserved drive for 2021!

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

We know the shelf life of an F1 tyre is only about 3-4 weeks.
    We know the decision to manufacture a different set of tyres takes more than a week.
    So, therefore Pirelli had already manufactured this weekend's tyres prior to last weekend's race.
    And thereby, we are left with no choice--could not even change the allocations away from the red softs towards yellow mediums and white hards, because there were no enough of them in the truck to go around.

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Stroller got massacred by a heavier, taller, rusty Hulkenberg who has only had 1 1/2 weekends of practice laps in a completely foreign car...what a waste of space.

kylec and Bas like this.
  10. DF1

Oh be careful Toto will not be pleased lol

11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    All good arguments but for sure the tires are not counted to the last one. Last week’s reds are this week’s yellow and hardly anyone used the reds last week.

In any case, F1 probably hoping for a lottery of multiple tire changes and blowouts, I think to avoid the inevitable Merc 1-2 cruise to victory.

zygomatic likes this.
  12. DF1

Esteban Ocon gets Silverstone grid penalty for impeding George Russell
    Ocon to start 70th Anniversary GP from 14th after grid penalty

william likes this.
  13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, tyres are not counted to the last one because during mounting, one may turn up a blemish of some sort and the team demand a replacement. So there has to be an overstock, but not big enough to even give every car another set of <whatever>.

14. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The three cars that ran a Q3 lap on mediums wound up going faster on meds than on softs.

Ferrari should have considered putting Leclerc on meds for his second Q3 run.
    (But maybe they're just short of them.)

DF1 likes this.
  15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I suspect Pirelli is doing "damage control" from the last race, trying to force teams onto a two stop strategy, to prevent a repeat of the shredding tire scenario we saw a week ago.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Vettel looks like a defeated man.

jpalmito and william like this.
  17. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I'd still like to have his pay check for the weekend.

ingegnere likes this.
  18. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    It is like getting dumped by your s.o. for a younger guy that performs better, and having to live under the same roof.

william likes this.
  19. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Yes, the bad team Leclerc is in and Vettel being forced out to a better team. As always in Ferrari's history, the driver leaving the team will ALWAYS be slower and suffer mechanical failures. BTW..... I have LOVED Ferrari ALL my life. :) Just stating facts. ;)

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

21. DF1

The writing was on the wall last year - Charles was held back by team orders and bad strategy. Robbed of win early in season at Bahrain. This is the better driver, Charles. Vettel has failed and was failing before he arrived. Kimi was never his threat was he lol.

Charles is the better Ferrari driver last year and now.

jpalmito, jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's a pity someone as talented as Charles Leclerc lands at Ferrari at a time when the team is in the dumps.

If this lasts 2 or 3 years, and with Leclerc on a long term contract, it will take the edge of his motivation and seriously damage his career.

It maybe end up being another Alesi story.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  23. DF1

We do have that potential it appears!