Taken Off Market - Rare 1987 Porsche 911 M491 Widebody Cab | FerrariChat

Taken Off Market Rare 1987 Porsche 911 M491 Widebody Cab

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by innerstrength1@, Aug 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. innerstrength1@

innerstrength1@ Karting

Jan 29, 2017
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Dan B
    For your consideration is a very rare 1987 Porsche 911 cabriolet with a mere 60,986 miles from new. This particular example is believed to be one of two imported to the U.S. in 1987 its configuration of a Venetian Blue Metallic Cabriolet over Tan interior with the factory M491 widebody package. For those unfamiliar, the M491 package, a.k.a. "Turbo look," was a very rare option that gave all options provided on the 911 Turbo, minus the turbocharged engine (e.g. Turbo suspension, brakes, wheels, wide body, and the famous whale tail).

The car presents in show-quality condition, while having the prefect balance of miles to allow it to be driven and enjoyed regularly on windy mountain roads, to and from car shows, or just an evening out on the town.

Pros:
    • All numbers matching, very original, no accidents, and clean title in hand.
    • All original manuals, tools, and keys
    • Excellent mechanical condition, with no known issues and documented service history (2012-present).
    • Superb aesthetic condition.
    • Driven regularly to ensure sound mechanical condition.
    • Stored in "Carcoon" in temperature and humidity controlled garage.
    • Copy of original window sticker.
    • Motor for convertible top recently replaced.
    • Convertible top, rear window, and torneau cover are like new.
    • Meticulously and professionally maintained mechanically and aesthetically, including full ceramic coating.
    Cons:
    • All original paint, except for a hood re-spray prior to my ownership.
    • Clock does not currently function.
    • Aftermarket radio (Clarion) does not currently function, but original Alpine stereo is with car and will be included in sale
    • Driver's seat shows some minor wear.
    • Some stitching on steering wheel is beginning to fray
    This car provides the perfect blend of being a highly collectible driver's car that can also proudly be shown at local, regional, or national car shows. Priced aggressively to sell at $76,499. Please contact Dan by phone at (520) 971-8241, or by e-mail at [email protected] for more information. PPI's welcomed and encouraged.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jjmalez, Boomhauer, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Interesting car, a few questions:

1) Was the whale tail from the factory on this car, or added later? If added, what would be involved with removing (require paint)?

2) Where is the car located?

3) Do you have a carfax by chance?

Thanks!

3. innerstrength1@

innerstrength1@ Karting

Jan 29, 2017
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Dan B
    Thank you. Very good questions.

1) The whale tale is part of the M491 package from the factory, so it was installed in the factory when the car was first produced. If you wanted to remove it, it would likely require some paint work. However, some have done this to M491 cars to make them look more like the 911 Speedster, which is even more rare than the M491 cars.

2.) The car is located in Charleston, South Carolina.

3.) Yes, I have the Carfax. It is clean. I would be happy to e-mail it to you if you wish.

Also, the VIN is: WP0EB0918HS172241

arizonaitalian likes this.
  4. innerstrength1@

innerstrength1@ Karting

Jan 29, 2017
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Dan B
    Here is a copy of the CarFax

5. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    I used to own an exact twin to this car. Venetian Blue is stunning in person.
    Maybe some daylight photos would help it pop.
    These are extremely rare cars. Just 303 produced in 1987.
    Also, that's actually a "Tea Tray Tail" not a "Whale Tale"
    Whale tales are flatter, curve slightly down on the sides with a slight flip up at the end.
    Tea Trays have a lip all the way around.
    PLEASE do not modify this car or its tail. They are truly special cars and deserve to be saved.
    Mine went back to Germany. It sold at full ask in three days with multiple buyers making offers from around the world.
    The asking price here is market correct.

6. innerstrength1@

innerstrength1@ Karting

Jan 29, 2017
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Dan B
    TJsBeer,
    Thank you for your insight here. Frankly, I was not aware of the tail of two tales you highlighted above.

I will try to get some more pics up. You're absolutely correct that this color is stunning in person.

TJsBeer likes this.
  7. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    hey innerstrength1. i am in charleston. I am looking to buy a porsche cabrio. and i love yours. but similarities sort of stop there...since my budget is in different league unfortunately. im having to keep my search focused on looking for a 996 4S cabrio with x51 package in any color except guards red. i remember meeting you and chatting a couple of times through some other friends but it was always around your old M5 V10. Wish I would have seen this around town. wow its spectacular. i know it must be in great shape knowing how passionate and meticulous you are from the conversations. plus i recognize the photos of your car at the shop and know your mechanic's abilities, so it must be dialed in and well sorted.

8. innerstrength1@

innerstrength1@ Karting

Jan 29, 2017
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Dan B
    Thank you Leeber. I wish we you all the best with you search. Indeed, European Road & Racing has never steered me wrong (pun intended).

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Very nice car...
    The America roadster of 87..
    GLWS

10. innerstrength1@

innerstrength1@ Karting

Jan 29, 2017
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Dan B
    Thank you. Next owner is getting a rare beauty.

11. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    What a car. GLWS. I wish I were the lucky buyer but unfortunately not there quite yet. Beautiful!

12. innerstrength1@

innerstrength1@ Karting

Jan 29, 2017
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Dan B
    Thank you James (FastLapp).

The car is about to head off for consignment where price will increase.

For anyone considering this car, this is your last chance to purchase at this price.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  13. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    is it going to be locally consigned in charleston where a driveby is possible.

14. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Very desirable model, very nice color, very nice example, very well priced.

I think this would do very well on BaT.

GLWS

15. innerstrength1@

innerstrength1@ Karting

Jan 29, 2017
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Dan B
    Unfortunately that ship has sailed. It just got loaded onto a truck and is Atlanta bound. I’m so sorry we didn’t connect sooner. That said, I’m happy to talk with you about the car and it’s still very much for sale. Please feel free to call me at (520) 971-8241. Also, if you’re looking for a local reference in the car, Karl Troy from European Road and Racing could tell you about it. Thanks for your interest.

16. innerstrength1@

innerstrength1@ Karting

Jan 29, 2017
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Dan B
    Moderator, can you please list this car as being removed from the market? Many thanks.