Maserati Khamsin | Page 340 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8476 Nembo1777, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Thanks Roger,

That used to be owned by Robert A near Stuttgart. He came down to our eight Khamsin meet near Zurich at Hochwacht Pfannennstiel August 2010...wow ten years ago already.

This is the email I received from him December 11, 2007.

Hello,

sorry for my bad english.

I'am a owner of an European Khamsin.
    I live in Germany and i have bought the car last year in Switzerland
    from a museum in Geneva.

The date for traffic [first registration] was in Dec.1977 in Switzerland.

My car has org. 86.500 km.

5-speed
    color: marron red metallic
    inside:tan

Here some photos of 24/8/2010. It can be seen on the far right in the first two photos.

Edit: before anyone asks I should of course specify chassis numbers: in BOTTOM photo from left to right they are: 244, 338, 160, 288, 352, 232, 100 and 246.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Just a question about those colours:
    352 is rosso rubino, but 288 is different, would that be rosso cordoba or any special color?

3. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I would say rosso Cordoba, yes.

5. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    I have an LHM-beginner's question I hope someone could help me with: AM120US1228 has a leak at lower end of the sight-tube on the reservoir (accompanied by a blob of urethane glue that I suspect is a previous attempt to stop the leak). I want to remove the tank in order to repair it, and want to avoid any naive mistakes or unnecessary bleeding sessions. If I disconnect everything, in particular including the big "spigot", what if anything do I need to do to avoid introducing any air into the system while the reservoir is out? Is it sufficient simply to keep all disconnected items at or above their normal altitudes?

Aside from that, any newbie-type mistakes an experienced mechanic might make out of unfamiliarity with the system?

Thanks,
    Alan (and 1228)

6. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Boralogist --
    Am I understanding correctly form you late July post that you have installed a Nardi steering wheel in your Khamsin? I would like to do the same thing, so could you share how that is done (including where to get the adapter)?

Thanks,
    Alan

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Hi Alan,
    I use to own #1228 in 2005. Is your car silver with red interior and tan carpeting? Still with USA bumpers or has it been converted? Please post some photos. I have photos from 15 years ago, if you are interested.
    Do not worry about disconnecting the tank, it will self bleed the air on the low pressure side of the LHM system. You only have to be concerned with air when it is on the high pressure side (after the pump).

Ivan

8. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Hi Ivan -
    Yes indeed you owned this car! Marc found it for me in Canada in late 2014. At that point it had been converted so very pretty (except for the steering wheel, as I mentioned in my last post). It was in storage for most of my ownership waiting for my garage to get built; it was just a few months I ago I got it back. I haven't taken any pictures of it yet myself, but here are a few from the previous owner that at least show the success of the bumper conversion.

And thank you for providing the reservoir answer I was hoping for. I shall proceed to remove it. Has anyone come up with a durable way of repairing the rubber seal around the sight glass? I seem to recall some owners simply removing the sight glass for lack of a better solution.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8484 Nembo1777, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  10. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    I too have been meaning to reach out to boralogist to ask the same question. Would appreciate any info on how you did this and if you wouldn’t mind sharing part references etc?

Bal

11. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Alan,

Regarding the sight tube on the tank. I couldn’t find an alternative to the rubber bungs suitable for use with lhm. I ended up removing and having two plates soldered on the tank as it’s only made of tinplate.

Working out the level is a bit hard when looking down the filler neck but it’s possible, or maybe I should make a dipstick.

Bal

12. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    #8487 boralogist, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Gentlemen---
    Sadly I was unable to find anything to help with this conversion.
    Therefore we had to make a custom adapter at the local machine shop.
    Several tries till we got it right. Trial & error protocol at its best!
    Regards.

PS This is the SW I used:
    https://www.amazon.com/Nardi-Steering-Wheel-Perforated-6062-34-2092/dp/B001IATVY2

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    boralogist likes this.
  14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Hi Alan,

Looks like the car was repainted a darker shade of silver .... I like it.

Here are some photos from when your car had the "proper" bumpers.

I remember that when I bought it the car needed a bit of TLC, especially the hydraulics. I think I also replaced the dash top material. In one of the photos you see I had to get into several of the hydraulic components. I most
    likely had the brake accumulators rebuilt at that time and a new main sphere installed. All which would need to be redone if nobody has done them since.

I might have been the one that applied the silicon on the sight tube as I see the tank was removed. You may want to remove the sight tube and use a couple of rubber plugs to cover the holes. A round wooden stick can be used as a dip stick instead. Hopefully it still has the original jack and toolkit.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The reservoir for the Bora has elbow tubes soldered there instead. You could try that and use a piece of Tygon tubing which is heat resistant and compatible with LHM. Worked for me.

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Ivan #1228 was repainted to its current shade of gray by Classic Coach in Elizabeth, NJ along with bumper conversion and interior work, soon after you sold it. The Owner went on a buying spree also purchased a black 4.7 Ghibli and if I remember correctly a Blue Bora. All were in Classic at the same time, he then suddenly put them up for sale. I’m pretty sure Ed Waterman purchased them all.

#1228 was Originally identical to #1226 except with Tan carpets.

17. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Just to clarify, 1228 original had tan carpets and red leather? BTW there is another Khamsin a few miles away, light-silver/red. I don't know the number but do know the owner drove it to Monterey last summer.

Sorry, "a few miles away" means next town over from me in the middle of San Francisco peninsula. I have not met the owner but the shop that maintains my daily drivers maintains that Khamsin.[/QUOTE]

18. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Ivan -- thanks! those pictures are fabulous story tellers. One mystery about the car you might be able to illuminate is that at some point its bright-red leather was coated with some kind of dye or wash that looks like an attempt to "tone down" the red. I know this because there is a curious spot near the emergency window winder hole/plug on the driver's door where they missed a spot, or this coating came off. This is visible in the interior shot I posted. In addition I had the leather panel around the shift-lever out and where it's not exposed it's the original bright red. Anyone know which owner might have done that?

And now I see the original tan carpets.

19. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Staatsof --
    Thanks for the suggestions. I too saw the Nardi adapter, advertised as working on a Ghibli. Anybody know if there are any surprises in removing the padded steering wheel (like fragile turn signal cancel bits)? If not I'll pull it and take pictures of the spline or whatever is down in there..

20. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Boralogist and Staatsof thank you for your replies.

Alan, good luck on your investigations.

Bal

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8496 Nembo1777, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Alan I believe it was Marc in Toronto who might have done some dye-ing.

One thing I have been wanting to mention and which I will do now since you were talking about LHM reservoir tanks.

Obviously the tin can nature of these is a bit sub par so McGrath Maserati in England decided to make bespoke ones in much sturdier material. I discovered it when I visited in April of 2019. It is beautifully made. They thought they were going to sell a handful but have sold many dozens. It is 954GB Pounds =1060 Euros = 1249US$. I have zero connection with this, just passing on information. Photo below.

Regarding a silver Khamsin that shows up at Monterey in recent years there has been just one, AM120US1170 the car of George A of Portola Valley with after market wire wheels, featured on the cover of Viale Ciro Menotti magazine years ago.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

22. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Khamsin photos on another forum:https://www.carpassion.com/forum/thema/39406-khamsin-bilder-und-infos/

Some cars that I can't identify:
    the light blue car at the Nürburgring 1980, it looks like #334, but it has a German registration (TUT..).
    the silver car with the Berlin (B..) registration and the closed rear panel
    the light blue car with the UK registration (SUC...)

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Tut is 216.
    I see photos I took like ZB washing 066 (33 Bordeaux number plate)
    SUC UK light blue is 349.

AMLC likes this.
  24. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    The silver car with the Berlin (B..) registration and the closed rear panel could be #202 I think, before it was sold to France.
    This could be the same car, in 2014 in Avignon, with Berlin Zollkennzeichen: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffweb/15685829937/in/photolist-23LvDus-23QALsS-pBmvmC-pgNis9-e1oU3G-moakeA-pU6YKK-q9eL8j-rtC5NV-rrrNqb-rtJuVp/
    A Zollkennzeichen should have a red part on the right side, but it looks like they put a white sticker over that.

Is there recent info about #216 or #349? According to the gov.uk site the car with the registration (SUC..) of #349 was exported (Export marker = yes).

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    While I see that they've quite sensibly decide to follow the Bora style tank design for the fluid level design the color looks wrong and the price is only for the price insensitive. I'd endeavor to solder tubes on one if I was faced with that issue. My tank was green and that was easily resprayed. Other than a rather crude green LHM label that was it. Nothing all quite that fancy.