Timing Belt Dilemma Vise Grip fell off | FerrariChat

Timing Belt Dilemma Vise Grip fell off

Discussion in '360/430' started by toussi1, Aug 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    I have an issue, I was doing my timing belts on a 360

- My vise grip holding the Cam Gears on the left bank fell off without belt on! (Right side not touched yet)

- The cam gears moved position, the yellow marks are still on them, so I know they have to meet, but it is impossible to turn the cam gears by hand.

What tool would you use on both to move them so the yellow mark meets so I can put the belt back on?

Any help appreciated, STUCK! attached photo for reference of the gears
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  3. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Oof. Ive always been terrified of this happening. Perhaps if you could wedge something in between the bolts on the cam gear that you would able to get leverage on and rotate.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That's a poor inaccurate way to serivce the belts

f355spider and Skidkid like this.
  5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Not disagreeing, but it’s what Ferrari recommend!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

brookliner7 likes this.
  6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Use a large pair of Channel Locks and use the old belt as a buffer, so you don’t mess up the cam gears.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    How about the rubber band wrench

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

8. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    "You are not alone".
    It happened to me last year on my 1st timing belt job on the 360... I think I've written a post about it back then... The intake pulley slipped a few tooth and was impossible to turn back "by hand". I slept (poorly) over it and the next day, came up with a solution.
    I used the old belt on the intake pulley and the crank pulley, using the wrench on the crank to turn the engine over and that was enough leverage to make it turn... Once back in place, use vice grip to hold it again.
    Then turn back your crank pulley to its original marks. It worked for me...
    Good luck...

imahorse likes this.
  9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    flash32 likes this.
  10. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    Thank you for all the tips. Towing it now to the shop would be a diseastor ‍♂️

Do you think one of these in 16 inches long will work? No visegrips are made that open as much as the pulley.

I would have to put something around the pulley as I tossed the old belt out.

If I can put my vise grips on the pulley very so lightly so it grips but slips I can then fine tune the top and bottom pulley ??

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I was referring to this ..not a good idea ?[​IMG]

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    IF you are going to ghetto this please read post #6 and think about what this poster has written. Then put an old piece of belt to a pulley, grab the belt close to a pulley circumference and use the resulting leverage and see if you can convert the mental image into physical action. It is easy to show hard to describe.

13. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Read my post above. This wasn’t a big deal to rotate using the crank pulley and the old belt. I would not recommend trying to grab the pulley you’re trying to bring back with anything other than the old belt.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Take the plate off the rear of the head and turn the cams with a 21mm spanner. Simples.

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's not the easiest place to get access and leverage but this is how you adjust the cam timing if needed.

16. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    Pardon my ignorance, but is this the area? Inside the engine under those plate covers? This is 21mm?

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Correct. The wrench that fits there is 21mm.

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I wish Aldous voice would emigrate to the colonies here..... Texas is nice chaps! We would line up our f cars around the block for your wizardry!

brookliner7 likes this.
  19. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    @toussi1 , eager to hear if and how you managed to recover your cams timing?

20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You might want to think about a pair of triangular wooden blocks with a through bolt or stud next time, the mole grip idea looks a bit dodgy. I have not worked on the 360 belts.

mwstewart likes this.
  21. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    Will be working on it next week. I will be taking a video and I can post it here for the next guy who ends up in this mess.

If all fails, will have to tow it to a shop, I did take video and photos of the gears and belt before I un-did the tensioner, so I'll have something to compare with.

For anyone who has never done this type of work before, I suggest you just pay the $900 labor and have someone do it, a 7 hour job now is turning into a 30 hour job haha

John_K_348 likes this.
  22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I find that a 21mm open ended wrench has trouble turning the cam shaft because of the access to the cam shaft interferes with the fixed angle of the open ended wrench. The next time I am in this spot, I would buy a 1/2 inch, 6 pointed 21mm socket, and grind away some of the material inside the socket to fit over the round section of the cam shafts. Then I can use a 1/2 rachet to turn the cam shaft.

If you can measure the diameter across the round part of the cam shaft ends, it would help the effort.

23. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    A crowsfoot socket might be a good choice.

I am sure there is a nice tool that can lock in those gears. After reading this thread I will definitely purchase or fabricate prior to my next belt change.

A video would be great to see. I just did the major belt service on my car and this is probably good advice for a lot of people. I probably had ~20 hours into mine but then I was working slow and trying to enjoy the process and using a lot of my tools! I have good environmental controls in my garage so often it is the nicest place to be so no rush! LOL

John_K_348 and imahorse like this.
  24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No it's not. It is too big to fit inside the head cavity where the cam shaft lives. I tried. And the flat parts of the cam shafts are kind of shallow which make the crow foot engagement unstable and very hard to use when you add the extension on top of the crow foot.

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  25. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ahh, Could a grinder remove the material to make one work? Maybe a fancy flare nut socket?