Authorized Dealer attitudes toward 3x8's | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Authorized Dealer attitudes toward 3x8's

Discussion in '308/328' started by Bullfighter, May 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

With regard to ADs and my Ferrari 3x8:

1. My local AD has zero interest in 3x8s or 3x8 owners

2. My local AD rare works on 3x8s unless one rolls into the parking lot and is on fire

3. My local AD works on quite a few 3x8s and classic cars

4. My local AD maintains my/many other 3x8s and does an enthusiastic, quality job

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk

A mighty simplistic view in both examples.

2. vetroresina

vetroresina Karting

Dec 20, 2005
    Netherlands & Germany
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    I don't have to be treated like a king because of the fact that it's all show.
    Plain and simple service is all I want to pay for.
    I prefer talking with mechanics above salesmanagers. They tend to give much better and objective feedback and in particular after they are confronted with their daily portion of snobbing customers.
    In my case I only call my AD, Kroymans in Holland , when I need parts. Some of them are difficult to get and some easy. Service is always perfect, nice people who don't bother at all to talk with someone that does his own car. But I never ever would visit any garage. I like to understand what i'm driving and it's a nice way to build off daily stress.
    I also think that older F deserve their own passioned and personal caretaker.
    For me it feels like individuality and best possible relation with my F.

So, if you feel that you get what you paid for, every fine mechanic is fine and every fine salesmanager is fine.

Marcel

3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    True, which is why I said "some". But recognizing a large number of exceptions doesn't entirely eliminate the cliches.

That's why there are so many thread looking to cross-reference ro Bosch parts that don't come in a box with a prancing horse on them.

Again, it comes down to the people, rather than the shop.

4. TGF

TGF Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    North Central, MA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would have expected that the same rules would apply: when there is too much demand, do the better margin work on the newer (or classic and costly) cars. On the other hand, the only shop I have been to (Boston Sportscar) had about one 308 in the shop for every other Ferrari there; perhaps a bit less, but there were quite a few 308s. I found them pleasant to work with and gather the 308s must be good filler around the pricier work. As if 308 work was cheap! ;)

Have you had similar experiences?

5. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    Yeah, I was surprised as well at the number of 308s Darin had in the shop. So many that poor Craig was getting confused as to whose car was whose. :) When I went to visit them earlier in the year though, there wasn't a 308 anywhere in sight. So I wonder if it's just a coincidence that he's got a bunch right now.

6. TGF

TGF Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    North Central, MA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Coincidence or not, at least it's evidence they are welcome and that Darin's crew knows what to do with them. :)

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I take my 328 to Bobileff in San Diego, and his shop tends to have quite a few 308s. Also 348s, 355s and a ton of Lambos (Miuras, believe it or not). I think he does well by the 308s/Boxers - Bosch FI or carbs, but without all the electronics on the new models or the intensive fabrication required for the vintage stuff.

But I also noticed FoSD hardly touches these cars - they seem to be focused on the 360/430 era, maybe because of warranty work as mentioned above.

I suppose it depends on the AD whether they welcome 3x8s. Sounds like your experience will vary depending on which AD you go to, and maybe based on what else is in your garage.

8. Hessian

Hessian Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan S.
    FoW treated me well for my PPI and some recent minor work. The only burr in my saddle was the fact that it took a couple of weeks longer to get the job done than the orignal estimate. This was only a problem because I'd made plans to use the car during that period of time. The Daytona and 599 that were there when I showed up were still in the shop when I left with my fixed car, and there were as many as 10 308s and 328s.

9. Brapbrapbrap

Brapbrapbrap Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Hal
    We're restoring - strike that. We're returning a 1980 308 GTSi to operating condition and I dropped by Ferrari of Houston. The sales guy took me on a tour through their shop and the race shop. He spent 2 hours with me and he knew I wasn't buying anything. I was very impressed. They had a couple 412's, a 308 GT4 and a brace of Ferrari F1 cars from different epochs. They also had the ALMS car on hand. He showed me the engine shop and the paint shop and let me poke around a GT4 that had it's guts strewn all over the workbench so I could familiarize myself with what I would see when we did the one we have (I share shop space with a friend, it's his car).

I gotta say, FoH rocks.

Hal

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    I have used only Algar for five years for my '78 308.

Great service and I am treated with dignity and respect.

I even visited the shop with the family and was given a tour.

The car keeps running better after each annual checkup.

Every situation is explained fully BEFORE the work is done and I am always offered the opportunity to go the service department and see the work in progress.

When I mentioned I might be looking into purchasing a 355, the service manager offered to personally give me a PPI!

I always HIGHLY recommend them.

Yours,

Tom

11. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    Did you have the great pleasure of the company of Mr Sid Simpson? I wish Sid would write a book about Redcars and Longrange Rifles. Great pics on this thread, thanks

Simpson likes this.
  12. TGF

TGF Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    North Central, MA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Sounds like fun!

You can't buy that kind of publicity. It is just good business to treat people with respect. You may come to them with some business during the restore and at the least, they have a nice plug on the forums.

13. jwtfjwtf

jwtfjwtf Karting

Oct 9, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Joshua Ferguson
    When I bought my '86 328 in October, I had a PPI and a major done at Ferrari of Denver prior to driving it home to San Diego. I was treated very well. After getting the car home, I took Bullfighter's advice and have gone to Bobileff. I have been very pleased with their service, prices, and knowledge of these cars. They always get me in even when they are slammed and I have never made an appointment.

14. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    here, here. i'm lucky to have dave smith of smith motorworks just a few minutes away. it gives me confidence to try something a little higher in difficulty. i know if i screw up, help is close by and the price won't kill me.

15. Jerry Fisher

Jerry Fisher Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Never had a problem with local AD when I had my 308GTB carb car. They were happy to take my $$ just as quickly as the 430 guys. In fact, the mechanic preferred working on the older cars because the new ones have the engine set so far down in the chassis he said working on them is back breaking.

bad news..only one of their techs was 'old/experienced" enough with the older carbed cars to work on anything but the new ones. The younger tech could not even find the idle screw w/o having to ask me to bring it back when it needed an adjustment.

I have heard some ADs will not work on the older cars. I think they should have thier franchised pulled for that kind of nonsense.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #41 BigTex, May 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The comments on parts support as well as technical familiarity are certainly true.

But as noted it'd only take one older tech to handle the market...

No, Sid Simpson finally retired, he's still active in the Houston collector car scene though..here at Classy Chassis.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Ferrari of Denver charged me $11,000 for some engine work, the car still did not run properly, and they charged me an additional $600 to make it right.

When I came to pick up the car the first time, someone at Ferrari of Denver had pulled the handbrake WAY too hard, and torn the h#11 out of the leather boot. THEY DID NOT MENTION THIS when I came to get the car.

To their credit, they did make it right, but only AFTER I mentioned it!

Hey, everyone makes mistakes. (I know I have done some dumb things while working on my car.) But what did they think, I wouldn't notice?

I'd have had a lot more respect for them if they'd said, "Hey, we know we did this. We'll fix it,and we're sorry.

You mess up, you fess up. Come on!

Yeah, they gave me a lot of attitude about what a favor they were doing to even stoop to work on a 308.

Thank God for Dave Helms and Paragon Motors.

18. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #43 enjoythemusic, Jun 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Like many others here, i love the look of the Euro 308GTS. Frankly, if i wanted a 430 it would be here (or whatever flavor of the moment is). Sure there have been critics of my highly modified 308, some who seem Holier Than Tho within certain Ferrari circles, and they only serve to make fools of themselves in my eyes.

If/When the car needs service, someone will be happy if they treat me right and do excellent work. Many independents have enjoyed the funds poured (literally) into the 308 here, yet yes have also sat on a test drive of a new Maser next to a salesman who was saying some less than positive things about a 308.

In the end there are good and less than good dealers, independent service centers, and Ferrari enthusiasts (and people in general). Vote with your time and dollars! Support those who support your wishes and provide excellent service.

FYI: Of course the extremely limited ability of the 308 (and most Ferrari cars) has caused me to move onward in spending time/funds in another toy for the track. Maybe when we add a SC she will once again pique my interest? Until then...

Enjoy the Track :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    They did my major three years ago and just replaced my clutch and a bunch of other stuff. I have heard that there are other great shops in the area - like John Terrell, Independent Ferrari Service, but have had great experiance with FoNE. I know I'm paying a premium, but I know my car is well cared for and know that they will be there if a problem arises.
    - Ron

20. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I also take me car to Bobileff in SD and I live in LA but store the car in PS so it is a major deal getting the car to them. Gary always works with me for the hand off and pick up including Saturdays. FoNB (or OC) never does that. FoNB/OC rarely had older 3x8 cars in when I visited, but they did have a lot of older Ferraris. Alan Woodard is the service manager and a great guy, but the dealership isn't real deep in doing the older V-8's. Maybe they changed their tune. I always got the feeling that my car would be a learning platform for one of their junior mechanics while I paid top hourly rate, so I take the car to Gary.

21. Simpson

Simpson Rookie

Aug 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Lisa Simpson Carr
    Sid is my Dad. A man with a heart of gold. I miss him dearly. He’s been gone 1 week. Ugh
    It brings me joy to read about him. I wish he would have written a book about cars and rifles. He stored so much info in his beautiful mind.
    I have a custom built rifle he personally built. So proud he is/was my Dad.

22. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I get an annual letter from Newport Beach Ferrari indicating that my 2016 Ferrari 308GTSi is due for its service....... They offered excellent service when I had them help me obtain and install a new OEM windshield in my car years back. I think that they would service my car appropriately and enthusiastically if I were to bring it in.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  23. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #48 SAFE4NOW, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    It’s unfortunate that all service department don’t recognize that all Ferrari owners are important, and equally enthusiastic and passionate about the brand!

Personally , I made it clear when I started that we would treat every owner as a VIP ... starting with 3x8 owners !

Slowly we are rebuilding , this is a shot of our Service drive today:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob, JuLiTrO, Rosey and 7 others like this.
  24. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Steve
    Hope you are well. I know all
    Of my experiences with y’all have been perfect. I have no doubt you treat all owners with the same high level of service I received.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAFE4NOW likes this.