Maserati Ghibli (AM115) Tail Light Installation | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli (AM115) Tail Light Installation

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Sebastien Doucet, Aug 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sebastien Doucet

Oct 5, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Sebastien Doucet
    Good morning everyone,
    I am in the process of restoring a 1970 Ghibli SS.
    During the car’s past life, different tail lights were installed along with some minor body work.
    We are in the process of restoring the car to its original tail lights (early Carello style shown below).

After multiple trials with the various Carello styles fitted to the Ghibli over the course of its production years, we narrowed it down to this style as it is the only size that fits inside the light bucket.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I could use some help from this community to show me how the tail light is mounted inside the bucket. Below is a picture of the bucket.

- Does the til light assembly sit flush against the tail light bucket?
    - Or is it protruding out? And if so how is it being held in place?
    - what does the light assembly mounting hardware look like?
    - is there a spacer used on the mounting hardware?
    - is there a rubber gasket that sits behind the light to space it out?

I have been able to find plenty of pictures showing the exterior fitment (such as the below picture) but I need help to understand how the light assembly is mounted inside its bucket.

I really hope someone with the same tail lights as me can remove them from the car and show me how they are mounted.

Thank you very very much.
    Sebastien

2. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Sebastien, and welcome! The light unit is from an Alfa Giulia Super originally, where it was mounted with a gasket. On the early Ghibli, it mounts with spacers to the body which are hexagonal ‘long nut’ studs, and when I removed mine there was no gasket. I am away from home currently but can post photos and measurements for you early next week if that helps. I’m sure others will chime in shortly as well. Do you have any other pictures of the car? And chassis number?
    Incidentally, the chrome beauty band on those lights seems to perish even on new old stock items (it’s pretty much hidden on the Ghibli I suppose) but if you want perfect reproductions the whole units or just lenses are available from OKP in Germany.
    Best regards.
    Mark.

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Is your Ghibli a Euro or USA spec car?

Ivan

4. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
  5. Sebastien Doucet

Oct 5, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Sebastien Doucet
    Mark thank you this is exactly what I was looking for. I have purchased a brand new set of light housing/lens from Classic Alfa in the UK.
    I also randomly found someone in Germany who reproduces a mounting plate that mounts on top of the rubber gasket and includes the mounting studs.
    I am ordering a pair and the seller is kind enough to include all hardware (nuts, washers etc).
    You guys are such a wonderful community and source of knowledge.

My car is a euro SS chassis number 808. I purchased it yellow but it is being completely restored and repainted in its original Gemma Verde over Senape Tan leather.

here are some pics of the light housing bracket I found in Germany along with pics of my car.

MrMark and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    This is an early car most likely built in 1968 and not 1970. These originally were referred to as Ghibli 5000 and and have more in common with the early 4.7 than the later Ghibli SS. Good luck with the re-paint. Verde Gemma should look nice.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to refer to the Ghibli authenticity guide: http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Ghibli_Features_Options.pdf

Ivan

7. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3