Extra tool kit | FerrariChat

Extra tool kit

Discussion in '308/328' started by fastjon, Aug 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastjon

fastjon Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I wish my car still had the originals. But I would I buy a replacement set? Definitely not.

mike996 likes this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had multiples when I had three cars.....

At one point FerrariUK sold a "generic" modern replacement roll that just needed a few backdated tools to cover the carbed cars.
    It was $325.

I have sold a complete early "window crank and carb tool" set for $1400.
    So, it's gotten easier to pack a kit with real tools.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...you need to put some order into this first.
    - put the spark plug tool out of the jack roll and into its intended pocket (the last one at the right) in the tool roll;
    - then you need to find the correct pair of pliers for a 328 tool roll: the one that is here is not original, and its especially visible as there is only one correct type for a 328 tool roll...
    That would give you a complete 328 tool roll.
    Pull the two screwdrivers that are in the jack bag out, they are non-original (not a problem to have some additional tools, but these should not be there).
    Once sorted out, then you would have the option to sell the two together or separately.

The 328 tool roll is the essence of simplicity ; there are only a very small number of variations, such as screwdrivers with, or without the "Ferrari" white script, wrenches in the usual shiny chrome finish, the one you have here, or the more rare "dull chrome"; and that's about it.
    Said otherwise, one tool roll is identical to the other, so it should sell fairly easily.
    I have bought a number myself, restored some by assorting the remaining tools with the correct missing ones, etc...
    What you have here should sell easily, once you have the correct pair of pliers in the tool roll; as for price, that's anybody's guess...

In the "3x8" family, the 328 tool roll is the simplest and most standard: with the correct pair of pliers, you will have a fully authentic one. There are more "gray" area with some 308 toll rolls.

Rgds

375+ likes this.
  5. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    There should be a law that forbids selling those separatly...

6. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    crap tools. why try to duplicate something like that?

POW!!! i just lost my right ear!

7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It’s missing a number of things:

- Correct pliers
    - One of the belts
    - Correct set of bulbs and fuses
    - Black plastic sleeve on jack bar
    - A spark plug (there should be two)
    - Battery replacement strap
    - Emergency light
    - Manuals pouch

I may have missed other things but this is a quick glance.

8. fastjon

fastjon Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Thanks, good insight here.

I took it from my 328 that was totaled in April. Along with the emblem, gas tank cover, and shift nob (I’m framing as a souvenir).

I’d like to see this go to someone who works on their own Ferrari, idk seems better than letting a dismantler pocket it.

you guys are great for the insight.

9. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    emergency lights were a separate option on 328, yes? I have mine in its pouch. Have most of the two rolls but only have one screwdriver,

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    No, the emergency light was included within the jack kit

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's a pity, as screwdrivers are really hard to come by those days, and especially the flat blade ones; I don't know why, but when you find one for sale, it is usually one of the Philips blade's. Also, care must be taken as the orientation of the "Ferrari" script, so as to have four handles with the script written in the same direction.
    Pliers are relatively easy to come by, as are the "Kravm" wrenches, EXCEPT the 14 mm combination wrench.
    The spark plug tool is very difficult to find these days (and remember that the 328 spark plug tool is slightly smaller as the one for 308s, as 328s have 12 mm plugs and 308s 14 mm ones)

Rgds

12. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thanks. My emergency light and pouch were missing when I purchased my 328 back in 2009. I bought one from a fellow F-Chatter several years ago. If I took photos of both of my tool rolls would you gentlemen be kind enough to tell me exactly what I need, and what is correct and incorrect? I think there were several Screwdriver formats. My GTS is an 87, VIN ends in 68487. I am bored due to COVID so maybe I will spend some time trying to find and purchase the complete and proper kits, Thank you Keith

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Sure. Go ahead and post your photos. Happy to help.

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have three plug sockets, both sizes.

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Happy to look over your tools and help. I would also recommend these threads:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/328-toolkit-advice.605827/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/328-tool-kit-question.481311/

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As for screwdrivers, no, for the 328 there is only one "standard format", really. The white "Ferrari" script on the handle might slightly vary in style, and its orientation might be reversed, that is IF your screwdrivers has/have the script; on the early production cars, some tool rolls had screwdrivers without the script.
    Of course you would like to have four screwdrivers matched in colors, with the "same" red/brown translucent handles, but that's all the problem, really...except finding the screwdrivers, that is...
    (NO black handles for the screwdrivers on original 328 tool rolls...)
    Rgds

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    If you would consider selling a 328 one, and shipping it too France, please let me know. Always useful to have an extra one...

Rgds