Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 138 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Disciplined as it may be, the route is undeniably very similar. Jos may only be a millionaire instead of a billionaire, but of course Max could enjoy the very same best material available since day 1 in karting, as you put it. The fact that Jos has/had anger management issues doesn't in my book make him a better dad. It is obvious that Max has a lot more talent than Lance of course, but think I just object to the notion that Stroll would be all money and zero talent. The kid was F3 champion once, you don't get that by strapping dollar bills to your car :)

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Could there be a seat at Haas next year for Hulkenberg?
    I think he could fit there: he will never be a top driver, and they will never be a top team.

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    IMO, I would have got rid of Grosjean and picked up Hulkenberg.

Then again, I would have gotten rid of Grosjean along time ago.

4. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #3429 Flavio_C, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    No, again, your reasoning is not correct.

Not only Jos but also Sophie Kumpen (Max's mom) were "karters". Very few people know, but after Jos retired from F1 he returned to karting, racing in KZ in the Netherlands and Belgium. He also worked as engine tuner for the Pex brothers (Max's best friends). So since Max started in karting as a child, his father made it very clear that it was a serious thing like if he was becoming an olimpic athlete. Because the early talent that Max demonstrated, CRG from Italy offered him to race for free on the official team. It was pure merit. You say Jos was a "millionarire", well, it didn't appear to be, not sure if they were just humble rich persons or if Jos had spent a ton of money with lawyers due to his personal troubles... Anyway, Max is probably the racing driver that "costed the less" for his father.

Stroll in karting didn't have to show talent to conquer a better opportunity, his father was always buying the best seat available. He put Lance at the best team available (Chiesa Corse), the last world champions, and even though he didn't buy the team, papa Stroll bought a F1 motorhome for the team so Lance could have the best of the best. Then, he bought Prema, one of the best formula racing teams. In F3 Lance did poorly on his first year, but on the second year he got the best of both worlds: the talented drivers were all rookies in average teams whereas he had the best engines, the best engineers, and the best car.

So Max is that kid from public school who with a lot of hard work got into an Ivy League, Lance is the bum who got into the Ivy Leaghe thanks to the political connections of his rich family.

5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    One question: Who is Hulkenberg's Daddy? If the answer is anything other than Lawrence Stroll, who gives a ****?

tifosi12 likes this.
  7. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Stroll working on his race pace ;-)

8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The only explanation I have for Grosjean still being in F1 is that Haas is operating by the Team Andrea Moda principle. This was a team so intentionally bad that although they never (I think) even qualified, made the news week in and week out—their ultimate objective—until they got kicked out.

I’m assuming that with Grosjean, Haas expect to be on screen a few times per race with him either running into his teammate, going off at the first corner, chopping off someone or whining about his brakes.

Flavio_C likes this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    LOL

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Herr Hulkenberg.

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Stumbled upon this for info ..

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Limited talent yes. In F1 because of family wealth = Yes. Would you hire him?? Compare him to Norris and other contemporaries on the grid. Please post your answer. Im not blind to his 'success' but on F1 time so far, now 4th year. No I would not. He is just not that good to me.

ingegnere likes this.
  13. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Not bad for Lance 5th in FP2 when you consider who were the top 3 that have superior equipment and more than double the team budget Racing Point works with. Lance also was faster than his team mate Hulk.

14. DF1

In FP1 Nico was faster. They copied a faster car. Not impressed by the team. Its a wash between Lance and Nico today in practice. One faster in FP1 and the other faster in Fp2. Nico impresses more for me having been disconnected from racing until now. Completely disconnected from F1. Lance failed last weekend per the team. They expected better. We shall see in the race. Lance should be faster all around given his time in the team and the car. Dominating he is not so far. More to follow over the weekend.

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I wouldn't read anything into it. It's only practice.

Let's wait till qualifying when engines are turned up, limited fuel loads and specific tire compounds.

375+ and DF1 like this.
  16. DF1

Yes qualy and race. Nico should show a bit more potentially and so should Lance. Will be interesting comparison.

375+ and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  17. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    F1 and racing in general have tons of variable. One thing that is consistent though it that it's an expensive sport. So having Stroll in F1 because of his family's wealth? All I can say is what else is new?

william likes this.
  18. DF1

Access is money = Money is access LOL :)

pilotoCS likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think you meant state school.

Public schools in UK are fee-paying schools for the elite only.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You don't hire Lance Stroll: he buys you !!!

375+ likes this.
  21. DF1

Yes....very true. What was I thinking LOL

22. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Since I mentioned in the same phrase "Ivy League", I was clearly thinking about the USA school system.

23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    *************NSFW**********PROFANE LANGUAGE************NSFW***************PROFANE LANGUAGE

Lance in an interview after FP2

24. DF1

Seb and Checo? Wow............that will change the the inputs on this thread if true lol. Im not sure of this. Checo thinks he is out. Money + talent trumps being the son of the owner??????????? Amazed if even remote possibilities exist.

25. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Oh c'mon. You know he's just playing up to the press.

Terra and Flavio_C like this.