Trip to see the Golden Guitar | Page 249 | FerrariChat

Trip to see the Golden Guitar

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Horse, May 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    What a fantastic GG, I enjoyed it just as much as the first and all of them since. The comments about bad roads and Ferraris not being suitable are dumb.

I did the event multiple times in my Daytona and 575 and never bottomed the chassis. Why? Because both cars had standard ride height and bodywork. Sure I bottomed the suspension more than once, but that's why you have bump stops, which are important parts and should be checked and replaced, which in my experience few people do.

If you're driving a 20+ year old Ferrari on it's original springs and shock absorbers, you can be sure that (a) it will have lost some ride height and (b) the bump stops will have hardened with age.

You can't drive a lowered Ferrari anywhere in Australia without scraping at speed. There's also a reason why Ferrari didn't fit the euro front spoiler to Aussie 308's. Work it out guys.

The quality of Australian roads does improve as you move south but there are still roadworks, potholes, wildlife and plenty of other hazards. You drive to the conditions. If the road surface is undulating, back off FFS.

I sat the Vette on a "brisk" speed and loved the driving. Every day had me thinking at some point, "what an amazing road and beautiful scenery". I don't care if I'm at the front, I care if I'm having fun. The car was brilliant btw, not a moment's trouble. It's very physical to drive, but has excellent brakes and road feel and more grunt than grip, so you truly balance it on the throttle through every corner.

Then there's the company. What a brilliant group of blokes. GG is the best mental health therapy and every day has a new laugh. It's very special and I am truly grateful to be part of it.

"I can't believe he took the fifty"

kerrari, DMWC, Cyt and 1 other person like this.
  2. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
  3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    The GG is a great get together by like minded people who enjoy driving but the damage an unexpected section of road can do to your car is unwarranted.

I've done 10 or the 11 GGs and there has not been one that didn't damage my Ferraris in some way

I only took the Lexus one year because I didn't have the 355 handy.

The QV had the bottom of it smashed to pieces and I had NEW suspension fitted to it, AND it did run a Euro spoiler which you should never run in Australia but they make the car look great so you just pay the penalty for being vain.

What some people may not know is that some of the roads have HUGE ridges in the road and if you're moving at some pace you won't have time to avoid them and they will scour the bottom of the car, but again, a penalty worth paying for the fun you have.

The laughs you have of a night and during the stops is fantastic and as Ian says, is the best mental health therapy you can have.

I travelled fast at times but slowed to a slow speed when the road turned rough ..... I couldn't keep up with the Corvette on the rough stuff without feeling very uncomfortable, but then the CH is stiffly sprung so it is what it is.

The secondary QLD roads are much worse than secondary NSW which are abominable compared to VIC secondary roads.

I've done a few rallies in VIC and their roads are good.

The QLD slab roads (main hwy) are good but don't venture inland unless you've got an SUV , a low sports car isn't going to cut it if you press on which is why I would leave before the other guys and cruise gently at a speed that didn't upset the balance of the car and I felt comfortable at.

Everyone on this forum should do at least one GG, it's great for the soul but choose your car and attitude wisely

Maranello550 likes this.
  4. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    How many times has Horse been damaged by an unexpected section?

5. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I forgot to add how many broken windscreens ZEROGO has had.... :)

My tally is 2 roos, one windscreen and eleventy stone chips

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Only a dumb person would make a claim like the one you just made.

Those roads shake a Ferrari to bits....the end. I have too much mechanical sympathy to put my car through that again.

If I buy another Porsche one day you might have the pleasure of company again.

Apart from that, there's no argument that there's a lot of fun to be had.

7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Stop making idiotic posts. Leave that to me and Moretti.

There's a reason why horse stays home. You don't have to bottom a car to damage it. You know that. Stop talking ****.

8. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    6 GG’s in Horse and besides the kangaroo jumping into the side of it, no real damage, just dirt and mud.

The GTR is just brilliant and the GG and the GAD runs are the reason I bought another one.

The Challenge really is too low for anything except a racetrack, strangely enough.

Best 6 days you can have in cars, so many laughs!

Silly signature here to annoy KIAI

kerrari and Maranello550 like this.
  9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    No mean no VISIBLE IMMEDIATE damage.

10. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Have a look at the bottom of Pat's spoiler ..... been there done that

Horse only has the short spoiler, smart move in Oz

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's not the damage I'm referring to anyway

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    yeah I know, I replaced the undertray of the QV twice and the suspension was battered around plus rock damage to the engine sump

13. Its328

Its328 F1 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Later model cars are probably worse with very low profile tyres. The 360 is sprung pretty stiffly, and with 40 series tyres you feel every bump. The GT4 had a much softer ride and 70 series tyres!

14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Yes, although 70 series tyres have stiff sidewalls to give them some measure of lateral grip. For example, XWX's don't ride all that much better than 40 series Pilot Sports (I had them on the 575).

I had a long passenger ride in a 458 on the FCA Redline tour in Southern NSW some years ago and it was really noticeable how well the "soft" button worked on typical rough country roads. Manetino in sport, soft button on, was a great compromise for brisk speeds.

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  16. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Looks like a great time with the boys Ian....

17. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    STFU

Silly signature here to annoy KIAI

18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner