Ferrari ROMA | Page 108 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That’s a nice shot of the trunk. The low lift-over is very handy and looks great. I often use the lifted trunk of my Cali30 as a sunshade and sit on the middle latch area when I need to fiddle with delicate items I bring along on a drive. That has saved me from some potentially uncomfortable situations.

Regarding fake grills, they create unnecessary drag and I don’t think that would do in future models because Ferraristi and commentators are very knowledgeable and discriminating nowadays so fake bits would immediately be pointed out and criticized. IMO, it isn’t necessary to do anything fake anymore because most potential owners don’t look for fake aesthetics. The factory loves to point out how functional the everything is on performance models as the competition is fierce and the designs need to be functional.

I really do think the factory wants to transition the look of their current models to newer functional appearances while maintaining a connection to older designs. An exclusive and legendary marque like Ferrari cannot afford to lose design connections to their earlier icons.

vcappp and 456-boy like this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes! Bring back the 'egg crate' grill...:)

Bundy likes this.
  3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, the not so old California had a fake air intake, so I wouldn´t rule it out.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ah, I see you have not failed me, that is why I qualified my wording, “...on performance models...”. ;).

I should also correct your assertion as the modern Cali features nonfunctional fender side grills, not air intakes.

The purpose of the Cali’s name and retro bodywork details were to recall the iconic 250 California GT from the 50s where its side grills vented the engine compartment. Engine compartment vents would not serve a useful purpose today as too much engine cooling can be counterproductive to performance and the effectiveness of its catalytic converters. That’s why the Cali’s cold engine starts involve extra noise and revs.

vcappp likes this.
  5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    But the air intake on the hood is fake, no?

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The air intake on the hood is functional and cools the aluminium engine head cover, probably helping to preserve its red paint job. So it is real. This photo shows the inlet on the interior surface of the hood.

It would appear only your derogatory claims are fake.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Given your sad lack of knowledge on the Cali and it’s iconic namesake, how or why are you repeatedly make wild and derogatory statements about things you know nothing about, unless you are just trolling?

magneti, RamsHmb and greg328 like this.
  7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Hey, hey, cool down your jets, dude! I had not any intention of being derogatory. If I wanted to be, I´d be talking about California´s disproportionate ass or something like that, I´m not so anal about fake air intakes.

Actually the Testarossa and the F355 are very cool despite having fake grills (and yes. also a lot cooler than the California). ;)

AM-DE likes this.
  8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2685 4th_gear, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Talk about being disingenuous... pretending to avoid being rude and then proceeding to immediately spell out the rude comments you claim to be avoiding to utter. Wow.

This is a Roma thread in a Cali/PF/Roma forum in a Ferrari chat site, so I don’t make personal remarks about other people’s Ferraris as it would be rude and off-topic but I see that doesn’t occur to you. I guess that’s also too much to expect seeing that you repeatedly try to pull off false claims as if they were everyday facts. The former transgression would be rude but the latter is malicious disinformation, and is more deplorable.

RamsHmb likes this.
  9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Um, a difficult audience today it seems. I think that the tone of the conversation got lost when typing, maybe I´d should have used more emoticons.

OK, I got it wrong that the air intake of the California was fake because with the hood open you can clearly see that the scoop is not connected to the intake, like in the 550. But not entirely wrong, as using that scoop for cooling is something like an afterthought.

I reiterate that I was not trying to be offensive, if that helps. And also reiterate that a F355 is cooler than a California, no matter how fake the grill is, I´m not anal about those things.

Actualizer likes this.
  10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It is indeed important to choose your words carefully when posting on public forums.

As you’ve been on FChat since 2003 with over 6,000 postings you should have known better than to post off-topic, not fact check your assertions before declaring them forcefully as if they were factual, and to avoid using personal opinion to insert off-topic remarks to deride other people’s cars on the very forum where owners of those cars would be reading or posting.

Your posts constitute trolling.

If you really do not want to be or do not want to come across as being offensive I strongly suggest you heed my complaints against the messages you just posted.

BTW, we are on a Roma thread, so please stay on topic.

456-boy likes this.
  11. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Heard that the factory is closed the month of August. Is this true? Thought they might be staying open due Covid slowdown. Guess my Roma will be delayed.

12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    OK, I had enough. I´ve been here for longer than you and it´s the first time somebody says I´m a troll.

Maybe I shoud have been more careful with my wording, yes, but I think you´ve read what you wanted to read. When I said that the air scoop in the California is fake, I was not asserting it, I said "it´s fake, no?". I was asking for confirmation. But even then, even if I got it wrong, I don´t know why you´re so MAD about it!

And yes, please, stay on topic: you were the first one who talked about fake grills in an electric car. What that has to do with the Roma, the California or any Ferrari ever?

Jeez, difficult audience today.

13. coolhandshin

coolhandshin Rookie

Nov 24, 2016
    That is not trolling.

You can actually make valid comments and criticisms on other's cars and question its functions even on a ferrari forum :)

Lesia44 likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #2691 paulchua, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    F355 Grill is actually functional, (not so the 348) - the left and right of the grill go to brake ducts.
    btw, I'll shamelessly say I am anal about air intakes.

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Knock it off. It's not up to you to determine what's trolling. :cool:

paulchua likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I happen to like that big butt...

;)

Though I would retrofit so the lights actually work. haha

tomc likes this.
  17. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    “Not that there’s anything wrong with that!”

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RamsHmb likes this.
  18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Gentlemen, sometimes life in microcosm imitates the world at large. What are they saying about social media double standards and “cancel culture”? Perhaps you will also take stock of our world at large.

I have many useful and rewarding projects to spend my time on instead of trying to share positive ideas and helpful experiences online. I actually prefer doing things, driving my cars and getting out over typing on a keyboard so I apologize if I should disappoint anyone by leaving but I have been pulling back from engaging on FChat in recent years. It’s well past time for me to spend my energies more productively.

I won’t be renewing my forum fees and I will be deleting my avatar shortly, logging out permanently. Before I leave I want to thank those who took time to encourage my participation on this forum.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride.

Redneck Slim, AD211 and greg328 like this.
  19. Marcus01

Marcus01 Rookie

Jun 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Guys, are any of you who have sat in one of these tall?

I'm 6'4" and just about fit in my 458 but a spider was too small.

I'm considering putting a deposit on one of these sight unseen as I think it's magnificent...but this interior size thing is a major concern.

Thanks in advance

20. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
  21. kdw0304

kdw0304 Rookie

Jan 21, 2020

how does rosso portofino and fuoco compare?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. JES444L

JES444L Rookie

Oct 24, 2015
    The Fuoco is very metallic and the orange pops in the light.

The Portofino is a metallic red and the red becomes more intense in the light. A good alternative at a third of the price!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It’s interesting that the most attractive photos keep the grille in darker shadows.

Matt

tomc and 375+ like this.