Subterranean Lift | FerrariChat

Subterranean Lift

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Jaguar36, Jul 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Does anyone have any experience with a subterranean lift? Something like the PhantomPark from ACLifts? I need some more garage space and can't expand so I'm thinking about going down. I've heard the cost was about $50k for one of these. I'm wondering if that includes the concrete and excavation work, or if that is additional. From the videos they also look intolerably slow, I'm wondering if there are any that go faster.

2. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    We've done two of them on garage projects. Both times it was new construction, so it was an easy addition to the project. The excavation work was all done when the foundation footings were dug, and the form work was done too then. Both times it was a lower garage where the cars can be driven off the lift, and stored.

The brand was Subterra - but they're all the same really. We needed the capability to lift two cars at a time ( top and bottom car) so we needed higher capacity model, but we were well below 50K -canadian $$$s too.. Speed wise, yup. They're slow. I didnt think they are much slower than the regular lifts we do. I've always enjoyed the few seconds it takes to lift a car up.

3. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Are they water proof?

4. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Full Name:
    shaun
    nope. The ones I did have a 1/2" or so gap along the top. I guess you could fashion up some sort of garage door weatherseal along the top if you wanted. Mine had a pit for some of the mechanicals, and that drained into the weeping tile of the house.

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Ahh, that might be the cost difference then. I'm looking at one that would go outside. Did the manufacturer assist with the install at all? Or did they just give you a box of parts? It seems these are not very common, I was wondering if the manufacturer would be more involved because of that.

I'm suprised these aren't more popular, a multi-level garage seems like a great way to get more space without needing a larger foootprint.

Eric C likes this.
  6. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I was thinking about outside as well, but it would need to be sealed.

7. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I'm curious as well - was actually looking at interior units just this past Monday. I read $40-$50,000 as well. Happy to hear that may be on the high side.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I was interested but given my tiny house and the cost of remodel I couldn't justify another 50K. Given how often I hit my head on my Bendpak lift, I wish I had just gone for it. Life is short.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I heard back from AClifts and got some good information, it is quite expensive though.

Here is what I heard from them:
    The price for our standard four post model PhantomPark with 8' of travel and a 9' x 18' platform including the necessary safety features starts at $57,986. Price may vary depending on platform size, lifting capacity and travel. If the jobsite is located within the contiguous states, freight may cost anywhere from $2000 to $7000 depending on the jobsite address. Installation is typically $13K to $20K depending on the model, jobsite location and jobsite conditions. Price typically includes all necessary equipment rental, low voltage installation and materials required for installation. Price does not include excavating, high voltage electrical and applicable taxes or permits.
    Seems like including excavation and everything its going to be close to $100k.

Thecadster likes this.
  10. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    This seems to be a good business to be in, the margins sound tremendous.

11. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Particularly given the low number of responses in this thread, it seems this type of lift just isn't very popular. So the very low volumes probably means that they are essentially custom units. Combine that with all the different entities, regulations and permits that need to be involved and I think that's how you get the crazy high price.

12. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Full Name:
    shaun
    we sell all our lifts at basically our cost. We get a slight discount from the manufacturer, but its pennies. It basically pays for my time of making a few calls. For us, its purely a convenience item to our customers. We do get a bit of preferential treatment, for install times, or if they're low on inventory before the next container arrives. We do it to have one stop shopping for a whole garage outfitting -floors, cabinets, wall storage, lifts. Most manufacturers advertise their lift prices publically, and also offer a install service too, so money is tight there. I dont want to start manufacturing lifts, so I wont ever realize any better margins, but I'm OK with that.

13. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Shaun, who do you work for? Sounds like Subterra lifts are sold by Babco in Canada, but I get the impression they aren't the OEM for them. Do you know if there is a US distributor? I was wondering if the OEM makes an outdoor version.

14. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Full Name:
    shaun
    I work for myself. My company does closet organizers mainly, but we also do garages. I'm a car guy so it works, and lets me get to see some awesome cars, and we get to build some super awesome garages. Let me ask around. I can ask the installers who do the lifts for us. They do installs for a couple manufacturers so they might have some insight. We also have a lift manufacturer close by, and my project manager tells me they have been bugging us to meet in person. Since lifts arent a profit centre for us, I'm not in a huge hurry. I can ask them too to see
    what they say.

Stay tuned.

JL350 likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I actually contacted AC Lifts and got the same info posted above. Decided to pass and we put our house on the market to build new and have some fun doing it.

Shaun,

off topic- but im in the process of building a new house. it will have a 6 car garage for me with a loft above the cars where I will house my office, a sitting area, golf sim, racing sim and some other toys. Do you have a website where you have done your garages? Im trying to get as many ideas as possible to make the space AMAZING. You can pm me so that we dont clutter the original thread.

LARRYH likes this.
  16. priericky128

priericky128 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I realize this post is a year old, but I am installing some subterranean lifts (2x) in my garage to be able to handle a pair of front-engine v12 fcars. I shopped around domestic suppliers and prices were insanely high and response rate and information was not very good. I am planning to import these from China at significantly lower cost (I import 100+ containers annually already). I may end up importing these for others since it is pretty straightforward to get the drawings made. Mine will have UL listed motors from a German supplier and run at the correct amperage and hz for the USA. The lifts themselves aren't too hard, but the install and prep is pretty involved. Mine will get installed next summer/fall when we are under way with construction so if anyone is interested, pm me.

The application is limited but I think honestly people just don't know these are an option.

17. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I'd be rather wary about getting something like a lift from generic Chinese company. Particularly since the hardware is only a fraction of the cost of the whole project. I found the installation and construction work was going to end up almost doubling the price. It seems like the real issue is both the safety concerns and the extreme low volume, that make these very expensive.

I ended up deciding to just move to a a new place instead.

18. priericky128

Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yes I am digging a new foundation anyway so the ancillary costs are marginal in my case. If you were trying to retrofit to an existing garage as a standalone project, yes it would be nearly impossible, especially since the lifts themselves weigh ~6600 lbs and have to be installed with a crane.

19. CDMster

CDMster Rookie

May 20, 2022
    Hi there,

I couldn't figure out how to DM, I assume I need some rep or approval so apologies for making this a reply and resurrecting this thread. I've been looking into a subterranean lift for my backyard, and have ran into the same issue with information and cost, and I stumbled on your message. Just for kicks are you still going forward with your order, and if you are would you consider placing another order in? If so what would the cost look like? I'm up in Alberta, Canada. Thanks for any info you can provide!

20. priericky128

Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yeah thanks, got your PM, replied today. I am still moving forward with my project. I'll have my two lifts installed later this summer or fall. The construction approval process is a little slow. Isometric attached.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. priericky128

Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Well I started this week on my two lifts. Gonna need some more fcars soon. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays, Oz-ATL, Thecadster and 3 others like this.
  22. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    I was curious how these subterranean deal with water ingress? especially in an outdoor application. I live in a very rainy climate and would be concered about water, freezing, etc. Any failure of the drainage could possible create the car sitting in a swimming pool.

23. priericky128

Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    We have a pretty robust sump pump system we are installing, but this is a legitimate concern. There is a way to built it with a waterproof upper platform as well as the ring where it meets the surface, but I have not done one like that before.

Generally these are best suited to being included as part of a structure so they are not exposed to the elements.

24. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Thank you for the reply. Look forward to seeing the progress of the install.

25. pherrari62

pherrari62 Rookie

Dec 3, 2023
    Full Name:
    Patrick Betik
    I'm building a new garage that is space limited. These lifts look nice! How can I find out more about costs, logistics, etc. I'm a commercial construction contractor. So getting installation resources is not a problem. Any help is appreciated!