Sold - Unique 2001 Porsche Boxster | FerrariChat

Sold Unique 2001 Porsche Boxster

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by msark, Jul 16, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Beautiful and Rare … Words valued in the car world…..

We all want the chance to have something unique. That car that draws praise and compliments for its individuality and personality. This is a car that fits the description.

This 2001 Porsche Boxster is in the unique color of Zanzibar Red. It’s a scarce color just as it came from the factory. So unusual that it’s rated a 4 out of 5 in Porsche unique colors.

Well equipped with a Full Leather Interior, 17” Sport Classic wheels, Xenon Headlights, Touring Package AND Comfort Package. All the bells, whistles and creature comforts from heated seats to the advanced sound system. Additional touches include a color keyed center console and roll bars.

Just over 30,000 miles and one owner prior to me. The service is up to date and 4 new tires were installed in December 2019. The original books and tools, between seat wind-screen and many of the original records are included.

A PPI at your expense is welcome at a shop within a reasonable distance. Located in Los Angeles.

$14,000.00

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  2. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Tempe, AZ, Westcliffe, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
    Very clean car, and Zanzibar is always a winner. Bi-Xenons and full leather make the car stand out as well.

Any interested parties will want to know if it's had an IMS retrofit or new bearing- especially at that mileage. The M96 is a good motor, It just has some quirks. A well maintained one will easily see 200k miles. The base model 5 speed is actually the one you really want, it doesn't have 2nd gear issues or CV angle problems like the S 6 speed counterparts. The ratio on the 5 speed is a bit better for canyons as well.

Clean car!

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    This would be a great daily driver pending IMS/retrofit status.

technom3 likes this.
  4. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    The IMS has not been modified ....

5. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Tempe, AZ, Westcliffe, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
    So while it's not a dealbreaker, ironically low milage, clean examples are where this is a concern. If a M96 hits 100k on a stock IMS, it's probably not ever going to be an issue.

The solution is a LN engineering bearing, or a single row which is the "OEM" fix for the car. If you're in there doing a clutch, it's under an hour. A skilled DIY'er with jack stands could do the bearing and a clutch in 10 hours. A local independent Porsche shop that knows Boxsters will probably charge around $1500 to $2200 all total, depending on if you want to do clutch plates as well.

Statistically IMS failure is 8%. That means 92% of cars never have a problem.

Let's put it this way- I've owned 4 986 Boxsters. Two are 60k miles with an LN retrofit, a 30k mile example similar to above with the factory unit, and my open wheel racecar with 200k hard, oil starved miles with the factory unit. Never had a problem.

Your milage may very, but the lack of an IMS retrofit wouldn't bother me that much, all things considered. They are fun, easy to work on, and a lot of good support (both aftermarket and otherwise.)

6. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Tamaren .... You have done an excellent job delineating the issue.

I have 2 Boxsters, an extraordinary Zanzibar Red 996 coupe and have had other 996's. I appreciate what's out there about the IMS but I've never been at a point I made the modification on any of the cars. Also... As I recall the Boxster has a lower statistical incidence of issue (below 8%) given it's engine position and oil slosh. Maybe true, maybe hearsay. The 2 Boxsters are for sale as I have a hip issue and I'm moving to PDK and Tiptronics. My 456M is an automatic so I clearly see no shame giving up a clutch pedal.

Thanks for your participation in Boxster University!

Texas Forever and Jdubbya like this.
  7. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Service paperwork almost to day 1.
    Available on request.

technom3 likes this.
  8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That is spec'd nicely!

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Really nice example...GLWS!

technom3 likes this.
  10. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    I've brought the price to $13,500.

Best ... Mark

GatorFL likes this.
  11. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Deposit Accepted.....

GatorFL likes this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Congrats ! That was fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    What a great car

14. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    S O L D !
    On it's way with the new owner at the wheel to live near the lake in the San Bernardino Mountains ....

technom3, GatorFL, Mang and 1 other person like this.