Pista or Senna? | FerrariChat

Pista or Senna?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by swordsman, Aug 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swordsman

swordsman Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    LA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 swordsman, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    I realize this might not be a popular post but I’m thinking about trading my Pista in for a Mclaren Senna. I’d like to hear thoughts from owners that have both cars or have driven both extensively. I’m happy with both my Pista and TDF right now so these are only thoughts in process but the Senna does also pique my interest. I’ve owned two 720S before so I’m familiar with Mclaren cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mikesufka, Camelot, carz80am and 5 others like this.
  2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow, beautiful pair, and I would love a TDF!
    I don’t have experience with either, but my buddy has a beautiful Senna and loves it. He also has a Pista and TDF...I’ll ping him to chime in.
    Interestingly, my other friend has a very similar pair as yours...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my 16M

LARRYH and Thecadster like this.
  3. Is this a trick question?

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Had pista, sold quickly.
    Friend has Senna, loves it. Brilliant car.

willcrook likes this.
  5. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I own both and can only say that they’re incomparable. The Senna feels like you’re driving something that shouldn’t be street legal and attracts an immense amount of attention. It’s extremely raw, noisy and almost feels awkward driving it slowly. It’s also ridiculously fast once the tires bite, which is a challenge on the Trofeo R’s unless they’re hot (so basically never on the street). Pulls from 60mph are where it’s at if you can find an open road. I love the car.

The design is obviously polarizing but in person and in the right spec, it look amazing. Many who’ve seen mine have commented on how much better looking they are in person. I personally think the car will age well since it has such a unique design that doesn’t follow the standard rules. It will look equally unique/odd in 20 years and be a standout car in any collection.

I specced mine in a Papaya Spark and did gloss carbon inside and out rather than the standard satin finish. I’m very happy with the way it turned out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Photos by Zach Brehl

JAM1, Nsd991, Bhh and 25 others like this.
  6. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Amazing Mr. S and of course it had to be Papaya Spark!
    Just amazing...

ScrappyB likes this.
  7. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

#8 Red Sled, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Based on my experience, I would say that they are two quite different cars beyond the obviously shared commonalities of being track focused V8 turbos. The Pista is an excellent road car and its dynamic qualities on a mountain road are quite superb. The combination of agility and precision with which the car can be placed can be fully exploited to do justice to the engine which is massive torque across a wide rpm band. The Senna is equally capable but one really doesn't get a sense exploiting the car anywhere near its full potential on the road, and as a result can feel less of an event. The engine, while powerful, feels less refined on the road than the Pista's. But these differences on the road are splitting hairs between two very capable and entertaining cars.

On track the differences are so large that Senna feels like a completely different car. While the Pista is undoubtedly quick, the Senna feels very much at home on the track to the point where its feel is closer to a race car than a road car. The handling is super sharp without any nervousness of the Pista at high speeds (probably a result of the extra downforce on the Senna), and the brakes are outstanding. The level of power, grip, and nimbleness all feel in proportion and makes the Senna a joy to exploit fully on the track and revel in the connectedness between the car and driver. The less refined character of the engine is more easily forgiven on track. The Senna is the best handling modern road-legal car I have driven, and conceptually close to an F40 in terms of single minded focus on the driver experience.

The Pista is only a fraction slower than the Senna on tighter tracks where its agility shines, but for the most part it is harder to exploit its wonderful powerplant to the full on faster curves as there is more of a hint of skittishness. With CT-off there is greater propensity to drift into oversteer while the Senna feels glued on. Pista's handling is probably the limiting factor in being able to use the full capabilities of the engine, and while both cars have excellent brakes, the Senna's feel a touch more racing-oriented on the track.

In terms of practicalities, I use the Senna as a turn key track car that can be driven directly on to the track from home. It has no storage space for a weekend road trip and even a toothbrush & sunglasses only trip is unlikely to be as memorable as two dozen laps on a technical track. The Pista on the other hand is perfectly civilised and can easily negotiate highways and byways on the way to the interesting roads.

Not sure if this helps, but hopefully gives at least a flavour of the differences.

8. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    i'd personally go for a Senna, if you're doing track time then it's absolutely perfect for it imo

ScrappyB likes this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #10 Shadowfax, Aug 6, 2020
    The Pista is a road car and the Senna is a track car. I'd take the Senna any day of the week. There are plenty of road cars out there. Pista is a great car but up against a Senna it's outdone on all fronts. End of story. Desirably you'd own both. Keep Pista for the road and Senna for the track.

10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Why ?

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You’ll look ridiculous driving the Senna. Don’t bother.

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I will be happy to look ridiculous knowing I'm the one who owns it. The dreamers and haters can do what what they do best.

tekaefixe, Zlaatan, Ash Patel and 6 others like this.
  13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It’s a stupid car. Loud in a bad way. Too uncomfortable. Ugly as sin. We shouldn’t encourage Mclaren to ever make something like it again by speaking well of it.

stavura likes this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I used to think like this until one day when I saw a senna in the flesh parked alongside a Pista at the PPF shop when my 3rs was getting done. Let me tell you the Senna is a seriously bespoke weapon and as much as I don't like to say this on a Ferrari forum it made the Pista look very very ordinary alongside. Credit needs to be given where it's due. It may not look all that pretty in the photos but see one in the flesh and it's a whole different ball game. Very bespoke car.

Shack, Avia11, IloveGT and 3 others like this.
  15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    The sports car market is saturated with similar offerings so it was nice to see McLaren do something bold. I feel like Ferrari missed the opportunity to offer a true F40 redux prior to the new emissions, fuel economy and sound regulations taking hold. They could have done a Senna-like car but made it prettier - even at the expense of some downforce which most would accept.

Unfortunately, I expect any F40 2.0 will either be track-only or be an SF90 based hybrid V8..... kind of like how Honda evolved (ruined?) the NSX.

Wikdstrate, Shack, Gh21631 and 3 others like this.
  16. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    it's been a success to owners and been a grower in terms of looks.

not being patronising but you have to realise that cars that look a bit odd actually age well as there's no reference point in time for them but themselves. I think the senna is one of these and will continue to be more accepted aesthetically in the future

JAM1, Ash Patel, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The Senna is ugly but I guess it does not matter to the driver - and it seems to be really focussed, unlike other cars that are just pretending. It's definitely special.

Ash Patel and ScrappyB like this.
  18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The Senna is ugly in pictures. In real life when you see it its beyond spectacular. Just an awesome car. You cant really compare it to the pista. Just two different cars completely.

Gh21631, Ash Patel and Thecadster like this.
  19. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #20 ScrappyB, Aug 6, 2020
    I had an opportunity to spend time with the chief designer at McLaren and asked about the design process for the Senna. Essentially, the engineers were given strict performance targets which dictated the surface envelope once the cooling and downforce requirements were satisfied. Achieving those targets was priority #1 and the resulting 'hard points' left very little freedom for the design team. It was a matter of connecting the dots in an aesthetically pleasing manner as possible.

Whether you love or hate the results, it was an honest example where form did truly follow function. There is a certain beauty in that.

Bhh, Gh21631, Solid State and 2 others like this.
  20. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    If price point is not a factor and you are looking for exclusivity and a limited production machine,it would seem the Senna would be your choice. Would you plan to track it?

21. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I bought a Senna yesterday (it should be here in about a week). I wouldn't say that I cross shopped with a Pista. I was thinking of trading/selling speciale for a Pista. (I'd like to keep one ferrari in the garage). I have a 720s and I thought that it should be one or the other (720s vs Pista). I passed on the Pista, kept the speciale and went into the Senna. Don't get me wrong. Pista is a very, very good car and does what it is supposed to do on track (I've tracked with multiple competent people who own/tracked the pista). However, a hypercar is a hypercar.

This is the second senna that I have purchased. I didn't hold onto the first one for very long (I was the original owner). However, more and more owners started to bring them to the track and it does what it is supposed to do and it is a crazy looking spaceship. It is well received by everyone now.

Senna is still the junior car to the P1. The owner who just sold it to me went and purchased a P1 (I think he realized that he settled or went for price point vs the car that he really wanted).

spyderman, Gh21631, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The Senna will be in the same pantheon as the F1 and F40.
    Fairly soon.
    The Pista will be replaced by the next special V8.

At one time a 430 scud and F40 were not that far away in cost.

Id drive a Yaris all day every day if I could drive a Senna only 10 minutes a month.

JAM1, Wikdstrate, 09Scuderia and 3 others like this.
  23. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah we are still waiting on that "next special V8" LOL. That talk got real quiet.

There will never be another "special V8" that doesn't involve electrics which by definition is not a "special V8" anymore

Long live the mighty Pista!

BTW I think the Senna is the only cool looking car ever built by McLaren ....

Bhh likes this.
  24. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don´t know either of them, but, well, you already have a good car for the road in the TdF, so I´d look for something different.