458 vs. 488 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 vs. 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RazAtx, Jul 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    exactly. 458 is a hot commodity for the dealer to have currently. They have no problem selling the 458 with nice specs.

xfrgtr, Graz, Shadowfax and 3 others like this.
  2. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Obviously get what you like, but to answer your question absolutely not would I trade a 458 for a 488 unless we are talking a) an incredible deal and b) a base —>highly optioned spec. Pista, diff story, but I’d still give it a lot of thought.

For the f8? Also the same. I’d be a bit more tempted as I like the f8>488, but really would prefer a 458 over all 3. Ferrari’s styling direction is not my preference. If they are moving away from graceful/beautiful/artistry, for me, with a dealership nearby, I would just get a Mclaren. My fave Ferrari’s are pininfarinas final creations, went downhill from there. Not saying I wouldn’t ever buy a new ferrari, just a different experience now vs the NA pininfarinas.

458’s are timeless. You’ll never get bored of that sound/experience when it’s done right. I got bored with the F8 in an afternoon. It’s just fast and new, not much else.

Need4Spd, docf, alibo70 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    458 is awesome
    488 is awesomer
    F8 is awesomest

and that is my .02 (;-))

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #29 Caeruleus11, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    NO. Keep 458. IMHO all time high water mark.

docf, xfrgtr, Graz and 4 others like this.
  5. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I was and still am a huge fan of the 458, however my sheer curiosity got the better of me a couple of weeks when i spotted a stunning Grigio Ferro 488GTB at my Ferrari dealer..I was offered a very good deal to change and picked up my new 488 last Saturday..From the first turn of the steering and gradually even more so over the 160 mile drive home, i preferred it over my beloved 458..
    I felt the steering,handling,gear change,ride quality were a league above but the biggest gains were the brakes and sheer power delivery..The brakes were the achilles heel on my 458 but on the 488 with its LaFerrari brakes were on a different planet..The overly sharp steering and way too sensitive throttle on the 458 have been banished and much more confidence inspiring at all speeds..
    I never got the hang of the old school infotainment on the 458 but i instantly gelled with the newer system in the 488..Little things which used to annoy me in the 458 such as the weird action of the steering wheel buttons especially the indicators and wipers also feel better..
    Based on my first few days of 488 ownership i have no regrets on the change which i wouldn't have believed a month ago..Ferrari never go backwards however i fully understand why many of us prefer the 458..

Mighty Joe, Rembrandt, Napoli and 9 others like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Get what ever car you like the most. But ask him to stick those 20k over sticker where the sun don't shine.
    Tell him that you will consider 10k below and that you need the car for a weekend to decide. And ask him to get you an espresso while he sorts out the weekend paperwork.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tekaefixe, IloveGT and Ash Patel like this.
  7. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    Well I have a Speciale and its "better" than a Pista ;):p:):D

IloveGT likes this.
  8. ArtOnWheels

ArtOnWheels Rookie

Sep 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    Sooo when considering a Ferrari one should factor a softer throttle, easier radio, and feel of windshield wipers? OK got it.

gstudent, Ash Patel and tekaefixe like this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    LOL, yes, thats what the 488-F8 is now.

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The controversy over old school 458 ( NA- great sound) compared to new school 488( Turbo - muted engine noise) never ceases. There is another non Ferrari option that represents a synthesis of the 2 approaches. I spent a weekend driving the new Lamborghini EVO RWD courtesy of Lamborghini Uptown Toronto. I have no vested interest in the car as I do not own it nor do I receive any financial renumeration from the dealer for discussing it. I simply highly recommend for anyone who still has an affinity for an amazing V-10NA engine, and if exhaust note in a super car is of primary relevance in one's hierarchy of preferences, the sound emanating from this car will prove to be a massive treat. This car is all about the fun factor, exhiliration,thrills and adrenaline elevation. For those who might be curious, I have posted a review on the Lamborghini forum.

11. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

List the car attributes important to you. Rank them for each car. Total up and if their is a marked difference between the two, the answer is easy. If too close to call, go with your gut.

Generally, for Ferrari, the newer cars are better in every way performance wise. The question is : are you able to actually utilize that increased capability? If not, then it comes down to aesthetic appeal and prob. maintenance cost. As the 458 ages, it will require increased expenditures to maintain in top shape & compare that to the cost differential of a new one.

I have a 458 for a "fun" car. I love it. I've tracked it occasionally at WeatherTech (Laguna Seca), but it now seems slow to me.

If my S/O would approve, I would move up to an F8 Tributo in a heartbeat. ...my love for NA & gated cars not withstanding. With this said, I might just add to my collection a 430 Scud, 430 gated, or a 458 Challenge to abuse. Right now my beater is a 991.2 Porsche 4S with the power package.

Good luck!

12. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    going a bit OT but how do you compare the new EVO RWD to the old 580-2? I feel like my 580-2 is a lot faster then my 458 which I did not expect, and also more playful, nimble and robust at the same time (I am very suprised by it feeling a lot more nimble and playful). Is the evo rwd one step ahead in all those areas (which is very important for me, along with sound off course)

13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Please read my review of the EVO RWD on the Lamborghini forum. In summary, the EVO is noticeably quicker, with driving dynamics that are more alive, more compelling and engaging and rawer. It feels more nimble, playful and the sound is an aural symphony. More gravtas and authority with an enhancement of SPls. It is the superior of the 580 in virtually every objective measure but more significantly it oozes driver involvement, will cause the hairs on the back of your neck to stand at attention, goose bumps to trickle down your spine as you gasp for breath with an ear to ear grin on your face.

Ash Patel likes this.