Slow Down, and Noise | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Slow Down, and Noise

Discussion in '348/355' started by Boaf 32, Aug 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If I have to deal with the temp sensors hopefully their replacement will be straightforward.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/replacing-coolant-temp-sensors.229830/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/104628-temp-sensor.605300/

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The two blue water temp ones are a breeze, I replaced the the oil pressure sender since I had to remove it while I was in there. Those instructions are exactly correct. It is what I used. The Part #: 104628 I COULD NOT break loose. Next engine out I will pull the manifold and replace that and the one on the opposite side side of the manifold that you can not get to without the manifold off.

#45 & #47
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    No I haven't ever used them

4. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Fellow 335er's

They arrived, 5 days late but we will see how they work. Will keep you posted

Boaf
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  5. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    355er's,

The new Evoflow are installed. Sounds similar but a bit of a different note. Reason, there was noting left in the passenger CAT. I am getting a P1448 so investigating that. I had a new Bypass put in 4 years ago and we had some issues with it. Will check again with F1 Motorsports. Good Techs.

Will try and take some pictures of them installed.

Boaf..

6. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    All,

Photo of the installed CATS. Now just need to address P1448. Sensor, or CAT ECU. My first thought, the passenger side CAT (with nothing left inside) may have fried the Sensor. Cheaper than a ECU. Anyone have an idea how to confirm it is the rear heat sensor?

Cheers,

Boaf
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Guess I can just go ahead and replace the 2 Sensors, I may just buy them and add it to my engine out service.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Technistrada make a cheap thermocouple for these cars.

https://technistrada.com/

9. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Have you used these?

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The thermocouples, no, but quite a few other folks have.

I do have one of their ECUs fitted to my car for evaluation, but I've only had the ECU for a year or so and I haven't done much driving. I may refit the good original if I sell the car (for matching purposes/originality) as they are significantly smaller than OEM.

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Empty cat would not have "fried" the Thermocouple. My 348 is a non-cat with the Thermocouples inserted into the straight pipes and they are working very well. The Thermocouples will not be damaged even if the exhaust gets red-hot.

As I understand, code 1448 is related to the bypass circuit, not to the left or right Thermocouple circuits. You can bench test a Thermocouple if you take it out, mount it on something that will keep its probe up in the air, connect to it a multimeter that can measure millivolt and heat the prove with a torch up to red-hot. At room temp, you should see ~3-4 mV and the voltage should rise gradually as you heat-up the probe. At red-hot, you will get ~30+ mV.

Boaf 32 likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ratarossa has a video on checking thermocouples:

Lots of "filler". Technistrada is mentioned at around 9:00

13. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Thanks will do.

14. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Thanks Qavion. I tested my Thermo's and they are both good. What tests are there for the Cat ECU? At $500+ for OEM, I am not fond of just replacing blindly. But for $189, not bad. How did you determine which Cat ECU was throwing the code?

Boaf

15. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    pretty sure you can swap the cat ecu's and see if the code changes.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    +1

As Ernest says, you can swap the ECU's. Just be sure to clear the codes and label the plugs and units before you start swapping things over. If you do lose track of what goes where, the wiring diagrams should help. One unit has a violet wire (exhaust bypass) and the other a violet wire (RH cat). The plugs on the ECUs which go to the thermocouples have the same coloured wires, but the wiring is relatively easy to trace.

emac likes this.
  17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    ooops... One unit has a violet/black wire (exhaust bypass) and the other a violet wire (RH cat)

18. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Ian, that is good info as the main issue I had when I got my car was they had swapped the cat and bypass ecu plugs during the major!

19. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Did you also test the third, bypass, Thermocouple? Code 1448 is related to the bypass circuit so you should look there. Since you are not also getting codes 1445 and 1449 (right and left Thermocouple circuits), they are probably good.

You can bench test the CatECU-s if you connect the Thermocouple, provide 12V supply to the "GND" and "+12V" pins and connect a voltmeter (set to Volts) to "GND" and "Output" pins. At room temperature, it should read ~0.5 volts and, when you heat-up the Thermocouple, up to some 3.7 volts.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Thanks, The ECU's for the Cats seem OK, on to the bypass. I did have an error code on the Bypass when it was replaced 4 or 5 years ago. Me thinks I see a pattern.

Boaf

21. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Gents,

I have not looked for the By-Pass ECU just yet, not clearly visible, nor did I see it in the exhaust diagram 16. Is there one or does it share a CAT ECU? I will pull the heat shield and see if I can trace the thermo coupler (if there is one).

I don't like going in blind. Any guidance is appreciated.

Good news, I only have the 1448 code, and my CAT codes are no longer there after replacing with Evoflow's.

Boaf

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There are separate ECUs on the RHS. They are very close to each other behind the right hand rear wheel. They are mounted at right angles to each other if I remember correctly.

23. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Often the errant signals that trip SDL from both SDECU and thermocouples are momentary spike or faults not readily visible on bench testing.

I have three leads tapped into the outputs of my SDECU and have studied this issue in depth invivo. Driving around watching my DVOM. Switching leads. I have videos posted of this real time in here as well.

just because the bench testing shows that a component is good , if you’re still getting a SDL it may be an intermittent fault only visible as I described above. Most thermocouple faults appear like this.

just FYI

24. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    I Did see one ECU that connects to the Passenger side CAT. I did'nt move anything so I will clear some obstacles and check it out. Thanks man.

25. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Thanks DrBob101. The good news about my SDL, I was a bit low on oil. Light would go on and off. Topped off with a quart while idling, measure and that was that. Viewing your video.