The arduous task of removing 20 yr old film | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The arduous task of removing 20 yr old film

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    probably just stupider.

2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    When I was in 7th grade, there was a 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE down the street from us with “for sale, $7000” written in shoe polish on the windshield. It sat there for a year in all kinds of weather. Finally my dad offered him $6000 I think and he bought it. It was visually challenged the paint was all flaking off and it was rusty. Boranni wheels were in great shape. mechanically and interior it was a 9.5.

this was during the 308 heyday, and I my friends would come and look at it out of curiosity and poo poo it saying things like “well technically it is a Ferrari, but it’s no 308.”

My mom got it in the divorce and sold it off while it was on blocks for $3000.

Smooth move. I wish I knew where that car is now.

3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    OMG. My all time favorite "older classic" Ferrari. From time to time I look through some of my old Hemmings Motor News from the early seventies and just want to cry... "used" Duesenbergs for $4500 etc.

When I was a kid, I worked in a bodyshop for a guy called Carmine from New York. He put me on sanding a Ferrari Superamerica for a repaint. I remember taking off the emblem thinking what a stupid name for a car. Too funny. I was clueless.

Later when I was going to leave for college, the bodyshop owner I worked for had a '55 Porsche Speedster. I needed a car and he had just painted it in black lacquer and it was already cut and buffed but it needed to be put back together. He offered it to me for $1500--- which I could have afforded--- but thought, what do I want that glorified VW for. Sadly still was clueless...

Husker likes this.
  4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Wow that’s incredible. Are you still in the auto body business I gather?

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Yes. I have owned a Restoration Custom Car shop for 29 years this month actually. Went to college for Advertising Design and opened an small Ad Agency for about six years. Did OK but had enough of that "scene". Wanted a change so I moved and opened up my shop. Worked it from the ground up. No financial help. No free rides. Still love the work and I have some truly great clients. I'll PM you with the Website. Don't want to upset anyone here thinking I'm plugging my shop. Just want to respect those that are sponsors on the Forum here.

Husker likes this.
  6. Todd Laing

Todd Laing Karting

Jun 15, 2020
    Mena Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Todd Laing
    Are those grills in the front air intakes stock??. I notice mine looks different?

Todd

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I think they might be “challenge” grills ?

Skidkid likes this.
  8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly what they are

9. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Husker: The question I want to know is: after you removed the PPF was there paint damage, e.g., chips where a rock penetrated the PPF? Im asking because I had the PPF removed on my 430 before a front end repaint because after removal, there were multiple nicks in the paint.
    I have mixed feeling about PPF, I don't think it delivers as much as promised based on my experience.

10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #60 Husker, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Bob, there was zero damage, so certainly the PPF did it’s job. There was one significant nick near a headlight that discouraged me from taking the old PPF off, as it looked that the stone had gone through to the metal and I would be peeling up paint. That turned out not to be the case, thankfully!

Now the PPF was nicked up.

I really wanted my car to be car show-capable (though certainly not concours type stuff), so the texture and look of PPF was objectionable to me. Now if you are really going to drive one of these cars - racing type stuff, road trips, etc., then I can see value in PPF.

My car sits in an air conditioned garage and I occasionally take it out puttering around. It’s never more than 5-6 miles from home. I enjoy going out and looking at it as much as driving it. So how it looks meant the PPF had to go, at least for me personally.

That’s probably TMI!

11. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Glad to hear you had a good experience. So all the removal work was definitely worth the effort. Thanks for the response.