Magnificent PF Coupe on BAT | FerrariChat

Magnificent PF Coupe on BAT

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by NYC Fred, Jul 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  2. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    While many aspects of this Pf Coupe are nice, I'm sorry to be critical of an important part of the presentation. The seats, in my opinion, are not correct on this Coupe. The seat backs are sewn far too flat compared to original profile; the perimeter bolsters of the seats should be much fuller. Example here. (Not my photo.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

amerikalei likes this.
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #3 BJK, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  4. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    The car in the photo I posted is an earlier inside-plug/drum brake car, 1315GT. The early cars had a four-speed gearbox, no overdrive, with gear lever location offset. The later outside-plug cars, as the BaT example on offer, usually had different four-speed with overdrive, center gear lever. Note also, on the early cars the forward part of the gearbox tunnel was typically carpeted; on later coupes, leather.

readplays and BJK like this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    your are sure???
    I have 2 customers with 250 GT, both 1959 and they have only 4 speed and no lights behind the grill

6. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    No lights behind the grill means nothing. They could be missing and irrelevant factor with respect to gearbox. Both inside-plug and outside plug chassis manufactured in 1959, with transition very approximately mid-year. You need to verify the chassis numbers and where they fall in the category of typical inside-plug specification or outside-plug. There are always exceptions, interim cars that had mixed specification during the transition from inside-plug/drum brake to the typical outside-plug/disc brake configuration. Note that many early coupes lost their drum brakes along the way, swapped to discs and some inside-plug engines swapped out also over time. Yes, I'm sure.

7. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    #7 lancia, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2020
    turbo-joe, It is easy to determine evidence if you wish, whether the two Pf coupes you mention without driving lights originally had the lights behind the grill or not. Absent non-original repair, the first vertical bars either end of the grill would have a curved cut-out to the back of the vertical, to accommodate the projection of the driving light lens. Similarly, the ends of the two middle horizontal grill bars have curved cut-outs to fit the lens. The forward closure panels for the front wheel wells would each have a dome-like bulge for room to fit the rear housing of the driving lights. Just look inside the wheel housing. And of course there is a simple mount in there for the light post.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Well, now we know how much a freshly restored PF Coupe is worth... $590k!

Honestly, at that price, seems like a pretty good deal. I would have expected it to be a bit higher, but PF Coupes seem to be about the same as Daytonas, so not crazy low in my opinion. Crazy was spending almost $1 million to restore it to that level.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Well bought for sure!

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Do we know who was responsible for interior work, especially seats ?

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Very pretty car but it might be worth another few grand to fix the interior. Those seats do look more like they came from a Valiant than a 250GT.

Oengus likes this.
  12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I love these cars but they tend to sit. Fantasy Junction has had a couple for sale that have been on their website for 2-3 years at this point (I think one recently sold). Daytona's are in the same price range but change hands pretty quickly. I think 250GT's would have to drop down into the 300-400k range to sell as often, but for some reason people don't seem to want to drop the prices on them that far, so they just sit.

This car looks very pretty in the dark Blu Lancia. Great colour.

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    You might be unfair to Plymouth. :rolleyes:

Oengus and davemqv like this.
  14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lol

Still though, at under 600k, with over 900k in receipts, the new owner can probably justify $30k for a new interior.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Motion Products was cited as restoration shop.
    Close enough for the Red Book I suppose.

Well bought a 2/3 resto cost, a victim of the current market...seemed like a good idea, at the time.

16. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The loose wavy center console covering is strange, but...

I’m not sure that the “over-stuffed” look is wrong; most seats that one sees are likely suffering from some crushing of the foam. But still, yeah, it does look a little too American in sensibility.

Gloss of leather is also probably a little too much, but probably better than the too matte leather that one often sees in restorations.

...so I don’t think it is *so* clear that they got the seats completely wrong. Or to put it another way...

...”man, tough crowd”... :)

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I guess it all depends what is the purpose of the car. If you want it to score platinum etc, then the new owner needs to address a few things. If he just wants to enjoy the car for what a car is - driving and enjoying its beauty, then it's good to go.

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... assuming there are no substantial "hidden" issues, which is the fear clouding up my mind whenever I see something visible done to obviously questionable quality or level and in the past, 8 or 9 of 10 times my fears have usually turned out well founded.

I just read the listing description and apparently they're noted having done the interior, which if correct I find surprising, especially if internal support construction & refinishing of seats were part of it.

Not necessarily if driving & beauty enjoyment expectations are to meet the feel and appearance close to that of what the car came with when originally built.

But the bottom line still is that if the buyer is content with his/her purchase, that’s all that matters.
    What any of us think here is irrelevant or he/she bought it to make another GTO/SWB/TR/etc. replicrap, oh well.

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 sound advice.