What color brings premium on used market? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What color brings premium on used market?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Extreme, Aug 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    that's soo cool connection...your Speciale really shows the aero on the car too so tough and muscular presence
    ...very nice enjoy it as long as you can :)

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    grazie!!

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Red is easiest to sell but doesn’t usually carry a premium because most Ferraris are red. A less usual color like Blu TdF may take longer to sell but the buyer who wants that color often will pay asking because it’s hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. NY-3PEDAL360

NY-3PEDAL360 Karting

Jul 19, 2020
    Red and tan...

5. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Mine’s Nero (black) and love it but I woulda even paid more for same spec in any blue. Just get what you really like. My previous F430 was Grigio Silverstone (dark metallic grey) and that was really nice as well. Only negative to dark colors (and white) is that it hides some of the curves and lines.

View attachment 2981723

kevin5889 and sampelligrino like this.
  6. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #31 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Dicecal and sampelligrino like this.
  7. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
    Similar to tdf, special red colours such as Rosso Fiorano or Rosso Mugello are quite rare and sell pretty quickly.

Sent from my BBF100-6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Need4Spd likes this.
  8. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    The variants and triple layers are most desirable.
    IE instead of rosso corsa - fuoco, scuderia, mugello, etc; instead of Bianco Avus - Italia, Fuji, etc.

jm2 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I agree triple layer colors should bring a premium, for obvious reasons. In practice, like in my country for instance, 80 or 90 percent of all Ferraris are red. Any other color automatically brings a premium.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

jm2 likes this.
  10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I love the AN special.

Some cars look amazing in any color. The 458 is one of them.

I had a silver car and was counseled to avoid silver when I was looking for my F12 but in retrospect that is an amazing color.also funny how black is so popular but Nero Daytona is decided less popular.

I am speccing a F8 spider. I thought AN was a good call and would leave my budget ( I have one unlock many) with room for outside CF for contrast.

I was told silver was a no no again. The dealer considers silver cars hard to sell and warns the buyer about resale.

For cars that one is not keeping they consider themselves the ultimate stakeholder.....red seems to have the highest demand.

Oh and premium paints don’t get their premium back.

The OP thinking about his ultimate cost is asking that question. The next question is what are necessary options.

I agree with the responses buy what you like, the rest is unimportant. There is a driver for every car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sampelligrino likes this.
  11. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    Bit late to this thread but I think the two show car colours (triple layer); Fuoco red and Giallo yellow are always a good bet, along with the traditional red, black, etc. Will you get a premium, even for a triple layer, only if somebody wants your exact car and that has much to do with the full specification.

I would go the other way round. Get a car, to the colour you want, but avoid those that are a difficult sale. Those colours will, to a certain extent, depend on your location.

12. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    I remember, perhaps 20/25 years ago, being told Ferrari were making a concerted effort to persuade customers to buy colours other than red for the standard (non specials) V8s. Slowly more black, yellow, silvers, blues started appearing but it took another 10+ years before the range of colours really started to expand.

Personally I love seeing the amazing gamut of colours owners are now choosing, even if some could only be loved by their owners!

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    In my experience, resale red does not bring a premium. Yes it is popular, but you're also competing with all the other cars on the market. Sometimes more unique colours can bring a premium due to the fact that there are few of them. Rosso Coburn and F1 2007 are for instance quite few, but they often sell fast, and when ever a car in one of these colours is for sale, especially the former, it is really the talk of the town.

RC is popular, but they are also all over the place. Value is directly proportional to availability and demand.

Also in the later years, more and more buyers seem to look for more modern and exciting colours.

The red 355 is an icon in its own right, so that has something to do with it being the most "valuable" colour. The 458 does not have the same kind of iconic status yet, and even less so in red. The cars of today are just too young for that, red or otherwise.

And the end of the day, one thing is for certain. A 458 will cost you money and depreciate, that's a fact. Get the colour you want and enjoy the car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Not a lot of colors to choose from in the 458 used car world. I've been looking for some time now. Black, white, yellow, and of course, red are everywhere with the occasional grey or silver. Always kind of surprised me when you look at all the beautiful colors that are offered for the 458 from Ferrari.

Red seems like a double edge sword as some here have pointed out. Popular, yes, probably the most popular color on any Ferrari. But with that said, you better have one of the nicest ones out there when it comes to selling it. There's a whole lot of 'em for buyers to choose from.

For me unique and tasteful color combos are far more interesting to me than a red and tan Ferrari.
    But you have to buy what you like.
    For me, I couldn't care less about the next owner of my cars.

15. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    rosso corsa always has a high value even though there are more cars available than other colors, especially the metallic variant. many second hand buyers are first time Ferrari buyers and that's the most preferred color for them.

16. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Rossa Corsa is still resale king but becoming less so. Each new model seems to have less and less people getting Rossa Corsa. Just look at how diverse Pista specs are.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Rosso of Corsa.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Rosso Corsa No2

Rosso Corsa Metalizatto No1 Much more depth with no flat spots. With the right salesman this will get more with 2 identical cars side by side bare the paint.

19. Red (or various shades of red) will have the easiest resale.

But not necessarily the highest resale.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This used to be the case, but it is a lottery. Too many cars in red means that Rosso Corsa cars sometimes end up sitting. I had a conversation with my dealer about resale colours a while back, and they no longer reccomend Rosso Corsa if a client wants a car he can easily sell. If it's a V12 or GT car, they directly advise against it.
    The market is saturated with it, and another effect McLaren and other brands have had on the exotic car scene, is colour choice. People have become aware of more modern and vibrant colours, and that's important in this regard. More and more seem to think that purchasing a new Ferrari in Rosso Corsa makes it look instantly dated - and I tend to agree.
    My dealer has seen less than 5 F8 specs in RC, no SF90 specs, and no 812GTS specs. No RC Pista Spider specs, no RC Porto specs. It is not that popular anymore.
    They have had to vastly change how they fit the showroom compared to 2-3 years ago. There could easily be 6-8 RC cars on display. Now there are maybe 2. They have plenty for sale, but they are in the upstairs storage. The showroom is not dominated by one colour for long periods these days, but it is dominated by metallic and multi layer colours. If there's a yellow, it is usually TS. If there's a blue, it is metallic. If there's a Nero, it is more than likely tri layer stellato. Red? It is probably Maranello, Berlinetta, Cali, F1 or Magma. If there's a Corsa, it more than likely sits on a Testarossa, 360 or other older model.

Plenty of Corsa 458's for sale, but they aren't moving any faster here in the northern part of Europe than anything else.

Times are changing, that's just life.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Red is too common. Throw a rock and you will hit a red Ferrari with cuoio leather interior.

So, those who don't want the Cliche of a red Ferrari with tan interior, will pay a premium for Not Red & Not Yellow.

It's all preference...if you want to go against the flow, so to speak, get what you like. Don't be compelled to buy just because "it's popular."

Condition, miles, and history will get you the best resale value because those Not Red will be scarce and harder to find in great condition.

22. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I should add, locale has a lot to do with color preference. In Silicon Valley, where I live, subtlety is preferred, so Not Red. I see a rather varied number of colors and wraps. Of course, red is everywhere, but I am talking relative, anecdotal numbers.

In LA & SoCal I see more Red/Cuoio for the Rodeo Drive kept ladies and Geriatric crowd; neon/ loud colors for rappers and those in the entertainment industry.... preferably a Ferrari spider or a Lambo, Merc 4X4 squared, etc.

In other parts of the US/ Asia I've traveled to, Red/Cuoio are the more common ones I've seen.

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Firstly ild say country also is a factor. Secondly ild say there is no colour that brings premium on second hand market. Some might sell quicker but again spec also will add to this. Some colours will also stay forever e.g Green.

But to those with the triple paint or that guy with the 100k 4 coat would NEVER see and recovery of the 100k.

Same goes with carbon.

24. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    i find demand more important than waiting for a year because a buyer has to be exactly looking for your color and interior color and options which is rather difficult.

i'm not sure about charging premium for a color unless it is a very very special expensive paint. usually the seller ends up offering it cheaper than red to attract buyers for red which can be convinced by lower prices.