Help Appreciated - Pre Purchase Inspection Results (Photos) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help Appreciated - Pre Purchase Inspection Results (Photos)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by oo7ml, Jul 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I doubt he would say drive the car correctly and you will be fine but I have with literally double the power to the wheels. 4 cars, not one issue. They were lower mile cars not 75k. I think around 13-15 is the right miles to buy one of these cars anyway because look at the amount of miles, owners and drive train beaters that have been behind a 50k TR. I will never put 20k on my 13k 90 model and I bet anyone here any amount of money my differential is perfect when I sell it. I will put my money where my mouth is every time. Not being a smart ass, I just know what I am talking about, been there and done that numerous times, not just once. I by far don't know it all but what I do is what I speak about.

sherrillt and flash32 like this.
  2. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'd like to respond to the original poster of the thread. Nothing awful in the report. Buy the car if you think it's worth it. This is an old Ferrari and not a Ford and it'll cost a lot in maintenance and repairs. Keeping. A great condition car great is expensive. If you re buying a car to drive and not just polish, then put extra focus on maintenance history. BTW I don't think many people do compression or leakdown tests in the UK.

sherrillt, oo7ml and turbo-joe like this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when I baught my competition I only made an exhaust gas test ( important the HC, have no cat, and of so test before the cat ). when I baught my BB I did a compressions test and also had a look with a boroscope into the cylinders

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    ive been speaking to Tim and Aldous about a ppi on something this week; both will do a compression test and leak down. So I suspect if you get a proper ppi you will get both.

(As stated above, what the op posted up looks like a main dealer health check, about 30 minutes work and broadly worthless interns on informing a purchase.)

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    IMHO I believe diff failures are random, and have no bearing on low or high mileage. I believe it was a heat treat issue? Lack of or missed after welding. Other opinions invited.

sherrillt likes this.
  6. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I would certainly follow this opinion. My 4 cars and zero problems helps support it. Especially one with 800 horsepower.

sherrillt likes this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Romano- you know this more than me but am I correct in saying the 512TRs had the same diff as the TRs? I know the 94 have an upgraded one of course but 85-93 throughout both models it’s the same design and same part? If so would make sense with the additional power for it to be weaker on the 512TR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #33 turbo-joe, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    NO, the 512 TR has an upgraded diff, same as the 512 M

those TR diff housings have been also in the BB and BBi and the 365 BB ( 103262 )
    the 512TR has an upgraded housing. ( 155099R )

I think it is not a problem of the power that the diff will fail. it is manufacturer failure during welding. why all aftermarket diff housings are not welded?
    are the newer diffs from F still welded? may be someone knows or can post some photos from the old and the new diff housing

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I was under the impression and if I remember my research when buying my 512tr ..the diff was welded until late model year 1993 and into 1994 and of course the 512m

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

10. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Get an independent PPI and then get the service performed at another shop. Then you can negotiate the cost of the service from the final price. I believe that you mentioned a major service was included in the price. They have no incentive to complete this thoroughly. Especially if you negotiate a good deal, they could potentially make up the difference by cutting corners with the service. Too big of a risk, get the work done elsewhere.

raysur and turbo-joe like this.
  11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    It would be foolish for a seller to agree to a price and then agree to pay an open ended tbd bill. The shop knows that they can hit the seller for any outrageous ‘repair’ and cost. Then... the ‘buyer’ walks away. The seller is held for ransom.

Don’t do it.

Only agree to a specific price after the buyer —prepays— for his desired ppi. If the buyer does not pay the bill, the shop puts a mechanic’s lien on the car and holds the car hostage until the seller pays.

Never, ever ‘negotiate’ after the seller pays a bill demanded by the buyer.

Tell that buyer to take a hike.

12. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Am I mistaken or is this advice to a seller? Its good advice but the buyer in this case is the one wanting advice.

13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Let me rephrase:

Buyers - don’t expect unrealistic demands to be met.

MOSS likes this.