Need advice from Pista owners | FerrariChat

Need advice from Pista owners

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Pazzo009, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice and clarity....I am currently in a modded F12 that I absolutely love. I also have an 991.2 GT3RS.

Great car, but I want out of the RS. I am considering getting out the RS for a Scuderia....OR, getting out of both cars for a Pista.

I have a track dedicated car already, so I will not being tracking the Ferrari. I would use the car for occasional drives and date night with my wife. The F12 suits this purpose quite well, and the sound is magnificent.

I am absolutely in love with the Pista's looks. I am also familiar of it's purpose, capabilities, and attributes. My apprehension about the Pista is the lack of scream due to turbos, and potential harsh ride and ambient road noise. (unless I'm mistaken)

So my question is, as Pista owners; would be making a mistake getting out of my F12 to replace with the Pista for my intended use?

Thank you very much

2. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    I think you will love the Pista
    But it’s all a matter of preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Very hard to say if you will love it or not. It is an awesome machine and I take my wife out all the time in it. But it’s no “comfy” ride- no floor mats, light glass, very little insulation.

see if you can test drive one. You have some great cars already so no wrong choices. Good luck.

Il Co-Pilota and Pazzo009 like this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #4 Shadowfax, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    No the ride is not harsh at all. It's not nearly as stiff and rigid feeling at very low speeds as the 3rs.2 is and has very much a road car feel to it where as in the 3rs you know it has serious intent in the suspension at all times. The road noise intrusion in Pista is there but its really only on the courser chip bitumen surfaces where it intrudes as say how the gt3rs can do at times. But on general road surfaces the Pista is pretty damn good and although you will know there is a lack of sound deadening in the car in comparison to a regular Ferrari it isn't a deal breaker in any sense. The only real compromise there is when you are driving on coarse chip blacktop on long straight roads at higher speeds covering ground where the road noise can intrude and knock out the sound system but if you're sporty driving it or pushing it around corners you won't have any issues there.

The engine sounds good and lively too. It's a really good experience overall although the car gathers speed so ridiculously quickly it can make the moments of sound enjoyment brief and left a little wanting on occasions where you can't continue the action.

Insofar as general comfort as I've said Pista is very very regular in ride, comfort and feel for a so called track focused car. Mine has carpet mats and inside doesn't feel any less comfortable than a 488 gtb. In fact I would say it rides better than a 488gtb. Frankly I would call it a road car without sound deadening. Insofar as the engine sound goes, it sounds very docile with the valves closed around town speeds and this is very disappointing and lackluster so this is where you will find a valve controller very useful so you can control the sound levels to give a more sporty feel during these times when the engine is not under sustained power.

The Pista is not going to give you the scream of a 9000 rpm atmo engine so if you are expecting that then spare yourself the disappointment and don't buy it. That said it isn't a disaster by any stretch as it still sounds very good under power with the valves open. The sound experiences are different but equally compelling in their own individual ways.

I find the sound of Pista more enjoyable than say the 3rs sounds at lower town speeds where the 3 can be a bit docile in the sound as well until you start getting up it. As you know its really only when the engine gets over 4000 that it starts coming alive in sound and power, whereas the Pista is alive sound-wise at lower revs (with valves open) and will give plenty shove too. It's never short on power I can assure you of that. The difference between the 3 and the Pista at town speeds is that the Pista has that nicer louder growl to it. It's only in the upper rev ranges where the Pista is a bit monotone lacking the level of crescendo you get with the 3rs or v12 which both take longer to rev out and reaching their head. With the Pista, because of the gearing and the sheer torque, it revs out super fast so that also means less enjoyment than say the atmo which is is slower in revving out between each gear.

I think what you plan doing will work well. I think the Pista is fun for the odd track here and there but realistically is more of a road car. I prefer driving the gt porsches on a circuit and understand if you have a dedicated track car then it wouldn't make a lot of sense bothering with the Pista other than to stretch its legs right out down the straight on the track. Also if the tires aren't all chaffed up from the rigors of circuit driving the Pista will be nicer and less noisier to drive on the road surfaces....which is where you'll find yourself driving it most of the time anyway.

tekaefixe, Sav35, Tina and 7 others like this.
  5. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Wow...Brilliantly explained. Thank you!

6. localmotion411

Dec 28, 2012
    Madison, MS
    Full Name:
    Jay Carney
    What he said, exactly. I had a 488GTB for a short time, and the Pista is exactly what I was missing from that car. Today is day 2 with my brand new Pista.

I considered a Speciale, Scud, owned a 991.2 RS. Glad I chose the Pista. It’s a focused road car that can turn into a monster when you want it. Rides every bit if not better than the GTB. Insane steering, lively chassis. Best most liveable road car I’ve ever experienced at any price point.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

FourFiveGreat, ryalex, JRE and 11 others like this.
  7. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    What about an 812SF it drives better than an F12 and very close to a pista on acceleration

dolphins08430 and Jordan68 like this.
  8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Get a 458. The sound is better.

Sorry. Couldn’t resist. :)

TUTTSF, plastique999, gderek and 10 others like this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    As a wise Australian used to say DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR go and test drive one. Every time I see one at the dealer I am amazed.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Main problem is they usually don't offer Pista for test drives unless they know it's a definite sale and, the test drive in the actual car being purchased becomes more or less just an obligatory gesture.

If only it was cloaked in a Pista body. And there lays the problem. It also doesn't have the on tap torque of the Pista.

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I have a Pista, F12 and GT3 so similar line up to what you are asking about. The F12 IMO is the better date/daily car, my wife loves it. The F12 is more comfortable and under the radar. The Pista will get a lot of attention and you might be afraid of parking it where you cant see it. I dont feel the same with the F12 or GT3. From a driving perspective the Pista is a blast and neither the F12 or the Porsche will provide the same level of performance or excitement. I would ditch the RS and keep the F12 and try to get the Pista. This would be an ideal line up.

victorg, ryalex, jnunberg and 9 others like this.
  12. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    The Pista is simply a beautiful Ferrari and that alone is a good enough reason to jump into one!
    I've owned the Italia, Speciale and now a Pista and out of the 3, preferred the sound of the Italia. Ive not owned or driven a 488 GTB - but can say the Pista sounds almost like a Speciale (blare) than that high pitched sound of a V12 or a F355 V8 once made. Would I swap an F12 for a Pista - for sure.
    Good luck whatever you decide - both great cars!

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Drive one first, or at least a 488 so you will understand the visceral differences the engine and exhaust sounds make in the turbo cars. If you can live with the downsides, by all means Pista a great car. Stunning looks and performance.

ShineKen, Ash Patel and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent replies. If your wife is comfortable with the greater attention and likely lower seating position then the Pista ticks all the boxes. The car can be quite civilized if you are in sport mode and you drive gently or a real brute if you put it into race and drive aggressively. The one thing I would also caution you on are the tires, they are really high performance tires and if you plan to use the car year round, you will want to invest in a set of tires for lower temperatures. The Cup2 tires are fantastic when warm, but they are simply not made for cooler temps and can be there one minute and not there another when its cold.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Shadowfax and Gh21631 like this.
  15. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Having owned a Scuderia,the Pista does not give you the harsh ride of the latter. Road noise has been reduced to some extent by the use of felt like material around the front wheel arches. There are some threads on exhaust valve controllers which you can adjust sound to your taste. I have floor mats which snap into place.

16. PistaGuyAZ

PistaGuyAZ Karting

Apr 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Woon
    Get the Pista. You won't regret it. You can get one of several exhaust options that make the Pista sound great. Do it and don't look back.

JRE and Gh21631 like this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Did you think Pista owners would tell you to keep the F12 and avoid the Pista?
    ;)

JRE, Thecadster, Texas2step and 4 others like this.
  18. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I believe several recommended that he try to drive one and make an informed decision on that basis.

19. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    First, let me get this bit off my chest.

ON TRACK: I had the chance to drive both the Pista and the 812SF side by side on track at Corsa Pilota last year in Las Vegas. Both cars are amazing and very fast. The difference from road to track is that you **really** start to feel the advantage of the Pista, being the lighter, track-tuned, mid-engined supercar. If you drive the 812SF before getting in the Pista, as I did, you're really impressed. Coming from a 991.1 GT3, 458 Speciale, and a McLaren 570S, the 812SF had gobs of new power that I never experienced. Really fun on track, and the soundtrack was phenomenal.

Phenomenal until you get into the Pista. It's been said before many times on this forum, but you really appreciate it once you experience it: the way the Pista picks up speed is scary fast. I've owned electric cars and have felt that type of speed as well -- this is different and way better. During Corsa Pilota, when the instructors first take you out for the "tour" of the course in the Pista, the Italian instructors really try to scare the sh*t out of you. In the Pista, the feeling of acceleration on the back straight of the track felt endlessly scary. The way Ferrari manages torque and continues to amp it up proportionally to drag resistance as you gain speed makes the car feel like it's accelerating equally as fast in every gear. It's nuts -- so nuts I had to check that mine weren't missing.

The sound coming from the Pista is still distinctly Ferrari. But it is different than usual, especially the sound the the turbo makes from outside the car. You either like that sound or you don't. But from inside the car as you are hauling ass

ON ROAD: The Pista begs you to drive fast, all the time. The soundtrack on it, as mentioned by @Shadowfax, is really special when on throttle. Ferrari has added theatre to the upshifts that make the experience really mind blowing when you're operating it at pace. In pedestrian environments, the honest truth is the that the Pista desperately needs an exhaust valve controller, at minimum. If you're cruising at 70mph on the highway without an exhaust controller, it's quiet enough that you could easily take a business call on the bluetooth system (which they've massively improved as well). The ability to flip the valves open and closed should have been a factory button or part of the Manettino.

You really notice and feel the lack of drama when decelerating. The valve slam shut and the car goes nearly silent. GPF cars will sound even worse. Ultimately, if you're comfortable adding a controller or asking the dealer to pin the valves open, then, IMHO, the missing piece of the Pista puzzle is complete.

To my eyes, it's one of the most beautiful, aggressive, modern, and soulful designs that Ferrari has come up with in recent years. I haven't found an angle that I do not love. The interior feels dated, but familiar. It could have used the F8's updated vents and steering wheel, but as Ferrari always do, they just a tad to be desired. Almost a Ferrari signature.

Do I believe the Pista is a good car for the OP? Only the OP can answer that. For me, it's an easy choice between the F12 and the Pista.

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    "I would use the car for occasional drives and date night with my wife. The F12 suits this purpose quite well, and the sound is magnificent."

That does not sound like the Pista mission. Let your wife ride in whatever your thinking about before your purchase it. Most people don't have a difficult time choosing between a turbo mid engine and a mid-front NA V12. With both F12 and Pista you would have all bases covered.

victorg likes this.
  21. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    Been reading the posts by fellow members and mostly all good advice. However, I will say while the F12 is beautiful and a capable car, in my personal opinion, it misses some what of that sense of occasion the Pista gives you. Im sure some of you will be quick to disagree.
    I took a F12 for a test drive a few years ago and while it was blisteringly fast - I felt it missed what my V8s at the time offered. My driving abilities will never be capable enough to extract fully any of the Ferrari line up (and certainly not on public roads) - but I genuinely felt I enjoyed the V8's much more at the time.
    I drive my cars in town and also across the continent from the UK to Germany - comfort has not been a factor for me in buying any Ferrari thus far. For that I have a Range Rover. Buy a Pista - it will put a smile on your face before you even fire it up!

ryalex and Shadowfax like this.
  22. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    While I have not driven the Pista, coming from Ferrari V-8's including the 360, 2 F-430's, 458 and 488 and now onto the 812, I really miss my 488. There is nothing else like hearing the V-12 screaming towards 9k and yes my valves are pinned open. After my trade regret, I looked on the dealers website to see if my 488 was still available but it had sold a few days earlier as I was going to buy it back. Have I regretted my 812 purchase, absolutely not but could have been very happy staying with the 488. If possible, my advise is to KEEP your F-12 and add the Pista or another V-8 and then you will have the best of both the V-8 and V-12.

MANDALAY likes this.
  23. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    I

The 812 engine and sound are amazing! Out of curiosity, what specifically made you change your mind to want to go back to the V8?

24. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    If I had to sell or trade the 812, I would stay with the 812. It does almost everything except the nimbleness of the V-8's. I was wanting to just add back the 488 and have both.

Thecadster likes this.
  25. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    #25 Pazzo009, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Very well said, and thank you very much.

If I decide to get a Pista, I would definitely do an exhaust. Likely a 200cell cat and valve controller. I would do more research on this forum before a decision was made. I digress.

We don't like the attention, but have gotten used to it. It comes with the territory. I don't buy these cars for the attention, I buy them because they're high performance pieces of art. My F12 does somewhat fly under the radar, and the Pista just looks bonkers and will surely get more attention. I can't wait for Civics to race me (eye roll)

The Cup 2's are super sticky. I understand that and recognize their purpose. I noticed more stone throwing sounds than in my RS despite the same rubber. If I get a Pista, I would likely adorn it with aftermarket wheels and put 4S's on it. I wonder if the offsets on my F12 wheels would work on the Pista

Update.... I was actually granted the opportunity to drive one I'm interested in yesterday.

So I got to actually walk around it and appreciate how much is going on. IMO it's one of thee most brilliant and magnificent cars I've ever seen. It's simply breathtaking. While I love the body of the F12, this car is a different league.

Upon looking over the interior. While it's beautiful in it's own respect, I am discontent with the lack of storage. Yes, I get why there's none, but the 4 pounds a glove box would have added, would not make a difference in the performance of the car. I find this foolish. This may some crazy to some, but I carry a gun everywhere I go, and there is no place to put it. It's a compact weapon, and I'm literally contemplating that I would have to wrap the weapon in a microfiber and stow it in the netting on the firewall. This is a stupid problem to have, but nevertheless a problem.

I drove the car 7 miles. I found the ride quality surprisingly good. The instant power and torque is astonishing. The tires were cold and she wanted to break loose at the top of 2nd....which I anticipated. I did not take the car over 80...But I am certain that this thing will pull the a freight train through it's gears. The sound was good all things considered. I like that I heard spool from the side inlets. I wonder if the car has a charcoal filter overlaid it's standard filter, and does it come with a BMC filter from the factory? The steering is laser precise and the car is very nimble. I have no doubt this car is exhilarating and fun to drive.

Back to my conundrum....I took out my F12 last night, and I was reminded on how insane it sounds. It's the best part of the experience. My F12 has sport cats and a tune that adds some fuel for burbles and pops. It's intoxicating....I also realized how much I enjoy my arm rests while cruising. As you know, that's not available in the Pista. I was even considering trying to fabricate something that can attach to center console over the part where a phone can rest.

Unfortunately at this time in my budget, I cannot afford to keep the F12 and get the Pista. Maybe that will change and later I could get a 812 to sit along side the Pista. I also have a M5 so that is my other option for usage when the Pista is not preferable.

Alas, subjectively I don't see a decision regardless that will be non regrettable. If get rid of the F12, I will miss it. If I keep the F12, I will see pictures of the Pista and be in awe of it's beauty. The F12 is a comfortable, awesome car. The Pista is a highly capable road car that will be exhilarating and beautiful to look at. I am a sports car driver at heart so I will appreciate the capabilities and put them to use when prudent. I feel I will make this purchase eventually and perhaps reacquire a V12 down the road...Or a preowned 812GTS in a year to 2 years when they hit the market.

Thanks again for everyone's contribution. Please keep insight coming. I think this a good debate and perhaps will assist others contemplating this move. Below is my F12...and I feel it's tastefully done and beautiful in it's own respect, hence why this is a tough decision.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

victorg, Wikdstrate, Dr. K and 9 others like this.