VIN question for 308 about to purchase.... | FerrariChat

VIN question for 308 about to purchase....

Discussion in '308/328' started by Plutonium, Jul 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    I'm looking at purchasing my first Ferrari this weekend and I have a few questions/concerns that hopefully can be answered/relieved here.
    It's a 1980 GTS, serial/VIN numbers don't match. I haven't seen it in person yet but seller claimed that the chassis number does not match the body number (I'm guessing steering column). The numbers are apparently exactly 400 off from each other. Seller says he's tried searching to see if it was stolen/damaged etc. but has turned up nothing. He has decided it was "clerical error" during assembly/stamping/reading process. There's a few other interesting-ish things about the car that make me go hmmmm. Just wondering if anyone has heard of non-matching VIN/serial numbers, if this is common or if this car has definitely had some damage/rebuilt/theft going on in it's past life.

Thanks

2. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Photos of vin and chassis stamping? Other things? If in doubt, walk away.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The black one on BAT?

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Don't guess that the "body number" is the one on the steering column; ask him exactly of which number he is speaking of.
    What you want and need is that the VIN engraved in the engine compartment (on the passenger's side chassis bar alongside the engine) and the one on the control column’s plate are the same. By the way, the last five digit of the VIN make the « chassis number ».

But Ferraris have also an « assembly number », and a « body number »: these two have no relation to the VIN. And they are much less known, and less visible, except by enthusiasts.
    If the seller is actually speaking of the true "body number", he is a "cognoscenti » (« one in the known ») which would be slightly surprising, BUT it would be then absolutely normal that the « body number » does not match the VIN/chassis number : they never do.

If he is, as you suspect, saying that the VIN engraved in the steering column plate and the one engraved on the chassis bar in the engine compatrment are not the same, then don’t buy the car (Unless there is a certificate from the factory explainig why).
    The steering column plate might have been changed, but if you don’t know the reason, the car will always remain suspect.

A picture of each one would be worth a thousand words.

Rgds

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What is the number?

6. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    Thank you so much for all your replies and advice. I was ignorant to the Ferrari specific VIN/serial number prior to speaking to the seller so I do not currently have all the info.

Currently there is no picture, but I’m planning on going to take a look at it and will take some.

It is not the black one on BaT

The seller told me the the two VIN codes were off by exactly 400, I don’t currently have the VIN.

So I see three scenarios: manufacturing mistake/error (I’ve been told many other car companies had this in the past, especially small European manufacturers), damage has been done and different body to frame has been pieced together and miraculously the VINs were 400 off from each other, or something maybe less than lawful has been going on.

I was hoping someone here may have had experience/knowledge about the potential for non matching VINs being a factory mistake.

Thanks again

7. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Would not be a factory mistake. Too many other good Ferrari 308’s out there for sale. I would never buy a Ferrari 308 with VIN issues.
    Even if the steering column VIN does not match the chassis number and VIN on Door jamb. All have to match or you will have a questionable 308.
    Good luck.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    There is no such thing as a (Ferrari) factory mistake: that simply does not exist, UNLESS IT IS COVERED BY A FACTORY CERTIFICATE, which almost never happens.
    If some seller speaks about a "factory mistake" which is not documented by the factory: run away. Don't believe any story. Don't even touch the car with a ten foot pole.
    Contrary to what some would like you to believe, the small numbers does not mean mistakes or errors, it means that the factory knows each and every car by heart.
    If you are too soft and buy a car with such a non-documented story, you will end up being the one unable to sell it in the future.

Rgds

9. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Even with no picture, does the seller gave you a VIN? whatever the number, we will be able to tell you what it is, a VIN, an assembly number, engine....

10. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    He said the VINs while I was talking to him on the phone as he was disclosing this information to me but I didn't write them down. I'm pretty sure they are the VINs and not a VIN and an assembly number. He seems very knowledgeable about the car and about the issue of the non-matching VINs. He indicated a number of steps he took to try to figure it out but unfortunately he didn't get any clarification.

11. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Post your VIN's here and let the F-Chat detectives have a look.

mwr4440 and Rick Weston like this.
  12. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    The owner just texted me:
    VIN 33419
    Chassis 33819
    Thank you in advance for the sleuthing.

13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well it does seem possible that a badly stamped 4 might be mistaken for an 8.

14. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The numbers differing by exactly 400 is very curious. My advice is to never buy an asset you need to explain to sell.
    Good luck.

15. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    That could be! If a search could be done, is there another car that has Vin 33419 and chassis 33419? And is there a car that has Vin 33819 and chassis number 33819?
    Am I missing something?

16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I have a “4” and an “8” in my serial number and can say that there is very little chance that they could be mistaken for each other.

“nerofer” and “TripleBlack” are absolute authorities on the numbering of these cars. Heed their words.

And be careful not to fall in love too early. Love is blind.

Brian Harper likes this.
  17. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Price would also be an indicator of shadyness, where we at on price

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    There is a confusion here that must be cleared: there is no VIN in these two numbers; said otherwise: none of these numbers is a VIN.
    A VIN is an international identification 17-position combination of numbers and letters that helps identify a car, its manufacturers, etc...
    Ferrari started using full 17-position VINs with the injected 308s (a small number of the last carbed UK GTBs got 17 positions VINs); for a Ferrari, the chassis number is the last 5 positions of the VIN.
    What you have above are two chassis numbers, one that is stamped in the engine compartment, the other on the control column plate, but again: no VIN here. But on an injected 308, both the engine compartment and the control column plate should be stamped with a full 17 position VIN (the last 5 digits of the VIN being the chassis number).
    One of these two stamping is not the VIN, the other one the chassis number: both should be a full 17 position VIN, the last 5 figure ot if being the chassis number in both cases.

That being said:
    Matthias Urban has
    # 33819 as a Rosso Corsa / beige LHD 308 GTSi in the original "Handbuch der Ferrari Seriennummern", but just its chassis number, not its full 17 position VIN;
    and ZFFAA02AXA0033419 (= the full 17-position VIN) as a GTSi Rosso Corsa / Nero US LHD.

Of course, it depends who reported the numbers, where these were seen (during a meeting on the control column?), etc...

Rgds

19. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

I own 44381 and the 4 and the 8 are indeed very different.

20. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    He said the VIN ended in 33419 and the chassis was 33819.
    I still have yet to see the vehicle firsthand.
    I just wanted to do my homework before going to see it.
    Thank you all so much for all your help.

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And what's the "legal identity" of the car? I mean, the number on the registration papers, insurance, etc...?
    (I have no grudge against the seller, whom I don't know, but I still am of the opinion that buying a Ferrari with identity contradictions would be a very bad idea - UNLESS there is a factory certified explanation; but if not cleared by the factory, and no-one else, don't touch it)
    Rgds

22. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If I were to see a Vin on the steering column that doesn't match the # on on the chassis (in the engine compartment, right side) I tend to think these possibilities
    1. Car is a rebuild of two or more cars (wrecked). Does the car have factory paint?
    2. Car is stolen or otherwise has legal issues
    3. Steering column was replaced for some reason and they didn't re-affix the correct Vin tag
    One other note- My state DMV recorded my vin # incorrectly on the title when I registered it. It was a hassle to get it corrected.
    Can anyone think of any other reasons?

energy88 likes this.
  23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You are going to have to go check it out.

A 1980 in North America SHOULD have a 17 digit VIN.

It's JUST past the years (ending in 1979) where our Ferraris only had 5 digits, I have owned:

All that said, as everyone is telling you, in the rear engine compartment the FRAME rail has a stamping.
    it should be the frame designation "F106AB" or AS for a GTS, followed by a "star" and then the 5 digits and another "star", if this car for whatever reason follows the older numbering system.

If this number differs from that one on the steering column plate, it does indeed indicate something has been changed.
    The Factory number stamps are deep and not ambiguous, in my experience, however anything can (and does) happen with the Title Office.

A way "out of your woods" which I HAVE done, is an inspection b the local Police Department, Theft Division, which can execute a form that will make the Tax/Title office STFU and give you a new title!!

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think you can still buy a blank steering column plate, and "fix that" if it's the only problem with the documents.

Everyone is warning you that it's long been practice to hide a stolen car, under a "typo" like this, but usually the frame rail section has been welded or ground over in the alteration..

25. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    I have both chassis number 33419 as a GTSi, US market, Rosso with Nero interior (I should have the door plate somewhere in my file, I have to check). I also have 33819 as a GTSi, US market, Rosso with Tan interior exactly as nerofer described it.

Both car has a full VIN stamped either on the rear frame of the engine bay, and on the steering column and on the door plate as both cars are US market car.
    Between this 3 places, you should be able to make up your mind.`Post or send pics if you need advice but as many people confirm here, a "4" and a "8" cannot be confused, other numbers do not. One is from July, the other one from September 80.

Then, after, we can cross check this number with the body/assembly number, and with the engine number to be sure with one is the good one between the "4" and the "8"...

MFlanagan likes this.