458 - Speciale to Speciale Aperta | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Speciale to Speciale Aperta

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by plastique999, Jul 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    Keep the Coupe and buy a 458 Spider as well... saves money two...

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent discussion!

I would just add I think the Speciale Aperta has the structural improvements they put into the 488 Spider, so, if correct, the Speciale Aperta should exhibit considerably less flex than the 458 Spider. Though the comments above make me wonder if it might still flex enough that would annoy some of us. I guess on this point it’s really personal preference, we will all come down differently. I am pretty sensitive to it and my roads are full of little ruts and uneven bits.

Especially for someone in So Cal with such glorious weather and relatively smooth roads, it makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I would just add that I used to have a 458 spider and recently got a pista spider. The body flex is a bit better on the pista but not that much better.

It seems to me you are mainly paying for rarity with the 458SA. Of course if the roads are smooth it may not matter as much, but I think it also shows up in the handling when driving hard.

4. ajc

ajc Rookie

Aug 8, 2005
    uk
    Full Name:
    AJC
    I too wanted a AP, To be devil’s advocate I had a Speciale after several different 458`s and even after modifying the exhaust it was just so capable and little hmm until you eked out that last 15% just too capable, so kept my 16M which has more drama and gone back to a 458 spider with modes and sounds better slower If the car is not for driving then the AP but you will be watching the miles, I had the 675LT roadster again so capable just too fast and lack of theatre almost playstation.

There is no wrong or right answer but do it for you and think about what you really want not just chasing investment or top trumps, the world is changing make the most of what ever you can while you can best of luck. for my two pence worth ;-)

uhn2000 and plastique999 like this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    FWIW I thought my 488 Spider was noticeably more rigid than my 458 spiders. But the new turbos sound absolutely terrible in comparison, including my Pista. Mods do not make enough difference to make up for it. Better off in a 720s if just want speed.

6. gderek

gderek Rookie

Sep 22, 2010
    Just a note on this. I have had 458 Spider, 488 Spider, Pista Spider, and the Speciale Aperta. The only car that I still have is the Speciale Aperta, it my opinion it's just a better car. The turbos just don't do it for me, they are loud for open top driving and the sound feels too manufactured. The SA on the other hand seems to be the pinnacle of the normally aspirated V8. It's truly special car. If I wanted more power I too would buy the 675LT Spider, unreal car at some great values now.

That said, it really comes down to whether you want the open top or not.

7. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
  8. ScudLife

ScudLife Karting

Nov 19, 2012
    SoCal
    In my opinion for around 100-130k difference the SA makes sense. It will always be a Limited and more special/desirable car. Any more than that would be really hard for me to justify. I compare it to the Scud and 16M. Both great, but price difference between the two is far less. SA seem to be coming down far faster than the Speciale. I would love the open top myself and also would consider the switch at the right price. Make sure you add you exhaust to the new car. That will sound glorious!

Caeruleus11 and plastique999 like this.
  9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Just drove the S today and it is so dang nimble and playful. Top down would be exhilarating with my exhaust set up.
    I agree... the price differential between 16M and Scud is much smaller than between the SA and S, not sure why.
    It will be interesting to watch the SA market and gap between the two.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my 16M

10. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I’m surprised that you found the 675 to be a synthetic driving experience? I’m not a fan of modern sports cars, which is why I still have my 550 and 430, and I find the the 675 to have an extraordinary amount of feel. The engine doesn’t sing like my other cars but it suits the car and it feels spectacularly powerful. Add to that the ability to have a spider with zero structural issues. I also think it’s the best looking modern sports car.

ScrappyB likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You need to change your signature line, “sent from my 16M.” ;) :)

uhn2000 and plastique999 like this.
  12. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    To me the SA is about the best open top motoring you can get right now.. maybe the GTS might get close but it won't be a mid-engined car handling etc. In my mind it worth about $200k more for the right one, there are some wrong ones. Mileage sensitive yes, but I barely get to drive these days so I would grab one I love and hold it for as long as I could.

plastique999 likes this.
  13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I agree!
    Now if I could find a spec I like....

Sent from my 16M

14. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    I did the move from speciale to SA at sticker price.
    Was lucky to sell it when prices were all over the place.
    i loved the car but had a feeling prices were artificially high so sold it after 1500 miles only.

plastique999 likes this.