348 and 355 single disc clutch interchangable? | FerrariChat

348 and 355 single disc clutch interchangable?

Discussion in '348/355' started by plugzit, Aug 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Does anybody know if these are interchangable? For sure??? (Just the disc)

2. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    Did you already got a answer to your question?

I have both gearboxes and pumpkins here but dont had time to check if it is interchangeable. I also thought about using a 355 clutch maybe even flywheel and pressure plate on the 348 gearbox. I will tomorrow check if the clutch spline is the same ( i think it is ). And i can messure thickness and diameter of the disc.

Samy

3. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    They are a different thickness but share the same diameters and hub. So you would need to take some material off. I think the 348 is also a little lighter construction which could only be a worry going the other way perhaps.

4. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    #4 Samy, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    I got the sizes out of the workshop manuals

348 : 247.00 mm x 8.00 mm
    355 : ???.?? mm x 8.30 mm

I think on that low difference it could be used. It will maybe loose some of pressure in the early lifetime due to the bit bigger thickness and over stretched pressure plate but will soon go on normal ratings. If the pressure plate is used maybe it also lost already 0.1-0.2mm wich would make the difference lower.

5. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    early size is

8.3mm + or – 0.3 at rest.
    7.7 under pressure.
    wear limit 1.5mm

It was changed in 1999 to 8.9 mm thickness.
    This gives more wear and has a greater tolerance. Unless you tell us otherwise, this is what we use:

At rest 8.9 + or – 0.3 mm
    under pressure 8.3
    wear limit 2mm.

6. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    Ok that looks like the early clutch is similar to the 348 clutch. But the new one is much thicker. Did they change the pressure plate on the new 8.9mm type also?

7. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    The pressure plate is essentially the same, with just a little adjustment to accommodate the extra thickness. what changes - and I dont know why - is the strength of the finger springs. you can tell which set you have from a letter stamped underneath Z is the stronger. But same size in 348 and 355.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Here is another question.

What about the flywheels? Could you change a dual clutch to a single clutch and still keep the dual clutch flywheel???? Or are the flywheels different between the two?

9. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Only the facing plate is different. Now, back to our originally scheduled program.....

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Right on, thanks Bruce.

11. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    Ok then it should be easy to use a 355 clutch disc in the 348 pumpkin with 348 pressure plate. Just grind down the pressure plate 0.9mm and it should fit. Or put a small space plate under the pressure plate (where it is bolt to the flywheel).

At the moment my plan is to use the hole 355 flywheel , clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and hub. That would atleast give some of my 355 gearbox bits a task. Because i still miss the shifting gate and shift rod to use my 355 gearbox in the 348. But to use these parts in the 348 there is one problem the starter gear sits lower on the flywheel and not on the pressuer plate :D. But maybe i can raise it up?

But what is your plan Plugzit why you ask if it is interchangeable ?

12. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I have a new 348 pplate and a new 355 disc I'm selling. Wondering if I can sell as a set for a 348.

13. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    ah ok , i would say if you messure 8.0mm thickness it should be possible. On 8.9mm only if you machine 0.9mm off.

14. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    Is it worth us swapping out one or the other? I'll check what stock we have but think I'd do you a 355 PP for the 348. (We had a 348 pp with pretty damaged fingers last week that needs replacing) although postage may make it unworkable.

15. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    So is there a how to video or post showing how to go from double disk to single disk in the 348?

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The dual disc pack and the single disc pack are discrete. You either have a dual or single unit and they are plug and play

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    To switch you would need to switch fly wheels and a few bits, Andrew from MD Clutches in this post used to sell a conversion kit before closing doors. At this point what you have is what you have. Try pricing an OEM flywheel.

18. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    No thanks I’ll stick with my duel.

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  20. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I think you have that backwards, the single was the upgrade.
    At 300 hp a twin plate clutch is completely unnecessary which is one reason they changed to a single plate, the other being a Lighter pedal, simpler and cheaper clutch without compromising performance....
    My car is a 1993, and it has a single plate AP clutch. The earlier single plate clutches were Valeo and at some point along the line changed to AP.

21. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I would not call it "upgrade". If the change was because twin plate was an over-design for 300 Hp, then it was a downgrade to what is adequate/sufficient. However, I agree with Eric that we should call it "not an upgrade" to avoid the negative impression.

22. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I would agree with that, your statement is a more correct way of explaining it.

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its like upgrading to a 2 bolt mail from a 4 bolt main to save weight.

GTO Joe likes this.
  24. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    There's no point in having a twin plate clutch if its not necessary, that's all I was saying. You can have a heavy clutch pedal if you want, but there is no advantage at all to having one.
    So, in a way, having a lighter clutch pedal, which ultimately makes the car easier to drive, is in a way, an upgrade.....
    Ive had the AP twin plate clutches in all my race and rally cars which is where they needed, they are not needed in a 300hp road car which is why Ferrari changed to single.

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #25 Ferrarium, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Understood, we all agree.

KevZep likes this.