Need new battery | FerrariChat

Need new battery

Discussion in '308/328' started by Austin Newman, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Austin Newman

Austin Newman Karting

Dec 18, 2019
    Memphis
    Full Name:
    Austin Newman
  2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I prefer the 750 CCA battery. You can get the battery type at almost any automotive store Walmart, Autozone etc.

308 milano likes this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Interstate battery, group 32-R

juanito308 likes this.
  4. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I Just watched a video posted in the Technical Q&A section on batteries. , I found it interesting, you may also.

5. Dal308

Dal308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2014
    Coppell, TX
    Full Name:
    Dude
    I was able to get and Odyssey 34R-790 to fit, but due to the location of the terminal posts, I wouldn't use the aluminum cover I have. I use a fiberglass replica from Superperformance. It is a little taller and of course not conductive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Personally have had VERY good luck with “ever start”batteries from Walmart. (I know, I know) but truth of the matter is they have FAR outlasted any other battery with exception to Optima that I have ever purchased. Use them in the tractors, suburbans, side-by-side etc. Purchased a $200 battery from AutoZone for a BMW 330i that lasted a year. They replaced it next year free of charge and the following spring, sure enough it would not take a charge and stone dead. Said they would only warranty it once.

ferrariowner likes this.
  7. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    I took the old battery into the FLAPS, walked out with the cheapest battery they had in that form factor. Still going strong five years later.... auto battery technology is not an opportunity for innovation or distinctive engineering.

(And I donated another car to charity when I would have had to spend more on a new battery for it than I just had on the 308).

308 milano likes this.
  8. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    If you really want to avoid battery problems for the next decade (or two) go get yourself an Optima Red Top battery from Autozone (or other auto parts store) for a little over $200.

Hook up a pigtail for a trickle-charger (Optima makes a great one) and your battery worries are over.

Alan
    N.J.

rmgaiss likes this.
  9. wilkie

wilkie Karting

Apr 15, 2005
    L.A., CA
    Full Name:
    Wilkie Cheong
    I also just replaced mine with an Odyssey 34R. Pricey, but it's supposed to be worth the premium. I didn't notice any interference problem between the terminal post and the cover.

newark_308 likes this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The raised terminals should be at the rear of the tray, protected by the rise of the spare tire carrier.
    And the fact the base locking block SHOULD be tight!!

The ground side is pretty short, but the positive cable is almost slack enough to hit either location.
    So I'm not at all sure why an "R" series would have to be installed posts "forward"....from memory my car grounds to the driver's side but I will look to confirm.

Agree with all the rest, I have used conventional and I have had Optimas,
    Just put something in there, no magic ....

Hannibal308 likes this.
  11. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    i like napa legend 84 group 34r batteries. the boys at the local napa all know me (you have a ferrari) and always
    process my warranty claim on the spot.
    they are in shouting distance from me.

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Walmart is fine...over 5 years starts every time...trickle charger required unless you drive often.

13. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Guessing by the other posts, the Red Top 34R is the correct one? Optima says it will not fit, but that's not surprising. I see everyone else mentions 34R type batteries thus I figured that was a size/post layout specific code.

14. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Walmart and Sam's Club batteries won the battery test on Farm Project Youtube channel. I have had good luck with them.

15. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    If your BMW's computer is not reset to reflect the battery is new, the new battery will be overcharged and quickly die. I have a BMW that needed a battery so I looked into the matter. I have always fixed vehicle things myself but after reading up on it, I bit the bullet and took it to a dealer and had it done properly.

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I like Yellow Top Optima. They can take a lot of discharge/recharge (for times when I forget to disconnect my ground or plug in the battery charger) I got over ten years out of the last one. That was a personal record.

Interstate is never a bad choice.

miketuason likes this.
  17. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I heard Optima battery is not as good now as it was when they first came out. What change?

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Dunno.

I hope they are like they were. I honestly don't remember when I bought this Yellow Top. It has been at least 5-6 years. Maybe more. Still starts like it was new.

We'll see.

19. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    I chose a Bosch replacement for my GT4, and it has been a keeper.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Terminals should be to the rear, as viewed from overhead....

Then they clear (barely) the metal cover, which I insulated with 3M tape as I hate to explode a battery.
    That's the point of the R in the catalog, to put the hot lead to the right or "reverse"...

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Optima was sold as a brand and had some "bad years"...but as they survived, I think the current product is fine.

Although time marches on and the modern AGM units have real advantages.
    I'm still running a lead/acid in my 308 though..

22. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I had the Odyssey battery in my F40 for 10+ years. Replaced it last year just because it was 10 years old.

However the battery in my Boxer went dead last year and I replaced it with a cheap battery from Advanced Auto and it works fine.

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Used to be Advanced Auto, Autozone, etc sold 5 year batteries. Several years back I noticed they only had 3 year batteries on the shelf and that's it. I asked why and was told that they were losing money on the 5 year because they lasted so long.

Think about that for a moment. What an ******* thing to do to customers. Deliberately reduce the quality of a product just so they will fail sooner and they can sell more.

24. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yes, It all started with light bulbs over 100 years ago. Planned obsolescence. I don't mind paying more for something as long as I get it.

25. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Dean:

The Optima Red Top battery #34-78 will fit a 328 perfectly. I can’t vouch for a 308 however.

Also, I can’t say enough good things about the Optima trickle charger/maintainer...it has special functionality which mates perfectly with the Optima battery. Sometimes, as a promotion, Optima gives them away for free!

Alan
    N.J.

dinonz308 likes this.