Clutch disk relining | FerrariChat

Clutch disk relining

Discussion in '348/355' started by Bucci, Jul 28, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Wher is the best place to get 348 disk reclined or new ones?

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If you google "clutch plate relining" you will generally find places in your area or at least a state away. You can buy them at AW Italian, Ricambi, Superformance etc just about everywhere.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I had a bad re-lining experience and had to do the job over. I suggest you just buy the disc from a supplier.

fboutlaw and tbakowsky like this.
  4. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Yes found plenty. After looking at paperwork it appears clutch was replaced at 60k so I am wondering if the slippage I have in 5 TH gear is due to triple seal As I have a little showing up in inspection plate. Gonna year it apart and measure disks.

5. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    If you can see any oil on the grille at the bottom of the Pumpkin, then there will be oil on your clutch plate due to the triple seals leaking.
    I would do the seals on the throw out bearing as well whilst you're in there too.
    Mine wasn't too bad and I was able to clean my clutch plate up using brake clean, and I had to clean and de-glaze the pressure plate and flywheel, I replaced the triple seals and replaced the throw out bearing seals too, 3,000km later my clutch is perfect.
    You can just buy the clutch plate on its own if there is too much oil on it...they are not too bad of a price.
    Are you a twin plate or single plate?

6. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Twin. Just talked to previous owner and he said he did triple seals so it looks like I’ll be doing it again just to be sure.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There is a great place about 15 miles from me.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That's because the clutch guys breath too much clutch dust and got brain damage. We are talking giant idiots! I tell them the spec. I arrive with my calipers. Spec wrong. I tell them to do it again. This is how it works!

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The problem was I installed them and within 50 miles the clutch disc broke into five pieces locking up the gearbox. Car had to be towed, and redone, and ...

I have never had a problem with a new disc bought from any of the good supplier like Ricambi or GT. So, as a professional, I just buy new ones now.

10. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Well at the end of the day the disks are wore out. New disks are supposed to be 7.25mm. Owner manual says you are allowed .06mm wear and due to double disk a total of .15mm. So if you subtract, in reality your disck should be replaced at 7.1mm thickness. Most guys probably run them down further like me to 7.0MM, but that is when you first see signs of slippage. I bought some out of California and the damn things wouldn't even fit my spline not to mention they were only 7.19mm out of the box, so watch out for that. Returned..........

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    7.25 mm for new discs (measured without load) is correct. However, the info you found on max. allowed wear of 0.06 mm is incorrect (can't even really be measured on a clutch disc). According to the Workshop Manual (Page D3) the max. allowed wear per disc is 0.8 mm. Extract from the manual:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    AP will actually do the facing if you send them to them. In the US, you go through essex parts services. IIRC. I've not done this, but it is my plan when it comes time.

sjd

13. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Well here is a head scratcher.. so I got two new disks from Ferrparts and when I went to use my alignment tool it wouldn’t slip into either of their hubs whereas the tool slipped in like butter on mine. I sent them back because I was sure they grabbed the wrong disks off the shelf and when he got them back he took pics of them on the shaft they had at warehouse and said they slipped right on. The spline was labeled 348/Mondial, but I think it is the same spline as the 348 TS. Any idea what is going on here? I am at a loss, I guess I will have to send mine to be relined as they are the only ones which seem to fit my spline. Anyone?

14. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Well I will tell you I did my clutch about 2 years ago and I too ordered my discs from ferrparts which were from AP Racing. I also ordered the clutch alignment tool from Ricambi. The tool fit my old plates perfectly but would bind and only go in part way in the new discs. I had to take Emery paper and slightly machine the clutch tool to fit the new discs. It was ever so slight I virtually sanded it off the Anodizing and then with some lubricant was able to get it to slide into the new disc

15. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I guess my advice to you would be order a new clutch tool and discs from Ricambi and tell them to make sure they fit. I don't remember what brand ricambi pedals I went with ferrparts because I wanted the AP brand.

16. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Machining the tool is one thing, but they also don’t fit the shaft spline and I wouldn’t touch that. Maybe some slight filing of the disk hub would be in order, but it sounds like a qc issue with the disks at the end of the day. I think you really need to get your hands on the oem Valero something like that. I think I am leaning towards reclining at this point. Darn..

17. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Oh boy! Very strange. Again I think I would call Ricambi tomorrow and see what they have to offer and what brand they are peddling. Realigning seems like a good idea in theory but all it rakes is a rivet to come loose and you will destroy a $2,000 pressure plate

18. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Yeah, gotta do something out of the box. Whoever I buy I am going to send them my alignment tool and make sure their disk fits it, because my originals had no issue slipping in. Always a venture, but thanks for the response so I know it’s not just my curse.

19. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The problem is in the splines of the new clutch discs, not in the splines of the alignment tool. The splines of the new AP clutch discs I bought had a lot of burr on the edges causing the alignment tool to jam:

I used a small flat diamond file and cleaned-up the burr until I could get the alignment tool to slide in smoothly.

The second thing to do is to round slightly the sharp inner edges of the splines that go over the O-ring during installation:

If not rounded, these very sharp spline edges can damage the O-ring during clutch installation:

Qavion likes this.
  20. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    I agree with you 100%, but being my first clutch job, I was certain they sent the wrong parts so I panicked and sent them back. It is a shame no one can build like the Italians. Other item to note was when I measured the disks I received they only measured about 7.19 opposed to spec of 7.25, so not only didn’t they fit, they really were out of spec in thickness as well. It’s not like the Italians gave you much to burn off to begin with. Mother help this industry.

21. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I wouldn't worry about the thickness being 7.19 mm, 0.06 mm thinner than the spec which is practically nothing. And the measurement depends on how hard you clamp the caliper over the lining. After all this is measuring over relatively rough surfaces on spring supports, not measuring of some high precision machined steel thickness.