Thinking about buying a GranSport. Am I crazy? | FerrariChat

Thinking about buying a GranSport. Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by PaulK, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I admit I have always wanted a Maserati GranSport. There is just something about them.
    And I see I can pick up good ones in the high teens to the low 20s. How bad can I get hurt?

I know clutches are a big deal. So is the heater core.

Can you get a complete workshop manual on the GS? Does anyone have one?

How do they ride? I am thinking of getting rid of my 500 Abarth and replacing it with one. I'd like a car that is comfortable on long road trips. The Abarth is NOT a comfortable car but it is fun to drive around town. Also it costs next to nothing to maintain. I know the GS won't be like that exactly but since I have a F355 I would like to spend less maintaining my next car than that one. Am I crazy for wanting to do this?

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Maserati are not exactly reliable;) I would say u are a bit crazy;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agreed. From what I understand the engines and transmissions are bulletproof, but it will have the typical stickies of the era.

Does anyone have a workshop manual?

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just sold mine after 12 years to Jimpo1's son.
    • they are reliable.
    • clutches are not a problem.
    • they are soft and understeer until you get springs and sway bar.
    • interior and cosmetic things will cost you more keeping right than mechanical.
    • they will wear tires pretty quick.
    • get the DBW from Formula Dynamics, more fun to drive and clutch will last longer.
    • I think market is $15-20k for the best ones, OK ones that you'll dump some money $10k.
    Here is current estimate Norwoods some common expenses.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever, jjmalez, PaulK and 2 others like this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Texas is cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMark likes this.
  6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dude! Way cheeper than a F355!! Wow!!!!!!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Rob. Did the leather shrink on the dash like on the 355s? How many miles do you have?

8. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I look at them quite often as well. I just haven't found one that met my criteria which is basically not red or black, don't want that microfiber interior or whatever it's called and (this is the most important) one that's been properly maintained.

I had a Maserati Coupe which was stick and it was pretty reliable but when issues would arise they were generally $500 to $1,000, closer to $1,000 though. Back then they were 15-17k cars so I got kind of annoyed at paying so much in repairs relative to the value but now I actually miss the car.

Texas Forever and PaulK like this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no dash problems, I did have most of the interior restored, the mesh inserts wear and discolor bad. think it had over 55k. original clutch replaced at 45k and it wasn't even slipping yet.

jjmalez and PaulK like this.
  10. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    It will be closer in cost to the 355 to maintain than the Abarth, but not nearly as much. Ride is very good for a sporty-GT. There is a spider version too, but they're rarer and probably not as good as the coupe for long road trips. Some cars have full leather interiors without the funny seat insert material.
    Also, they sound great. A 4.2L V8 with a cross-plane dry-sump...

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yeah that's the problem. I want a blue one. Everything that is out there is black or red. They are all the same cars, too. They are asking mid-high 20's and they are just sitting there.
    I remember them having carbon-backed seats. Turns out I was wrong.
    I believe the fabric is referred to as a "technical fabric" and I actually like it. I like cloth in cars better than leather as cloth wears better. I am disappointed to hear that is not the case on these cars.

That really isn't bad at all. I am fine with them being a little softly sprung. The roads here in Michigan are worse than Afghanistan.

I still wish I could find a workshop manual for one! Anyone?

12. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Blue is my favorite color as well as it fits Maserati perfectly. I actually like the look of the fabric but it gets dirty over time and is a pain in the ass to clean and to keep clean I guess. That's why I think the leather is a bit better. Having the fabric on the seat and door handle I can tolerate as that's easier to fix but the dashboard one scares me as that's a big job.

I don't know if you're familiar with the MC Victory but I really like that car. I'm just annoyed I missed out on a blue and gray MC Victory for 45k 2-3 years. Unfortunately this was when I had my 355 and I didn't feel like having 2 high maintenance queens lol!

PaulK and Nembo1777 like this.
  13. 5000gt

5000gt Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    I own a GranSport and I have had issues with the clutch paddle shifter not working properly. I find the transmission sluggish. Many of the interior or engine bay plastic parts deteriorated pretty quickly. Don't get me started on the sticky switches! I recently purchased a GranTursimo MC and I couldn't be happier. For little extra money I would go for a GranTurismo.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Interesting, I had a 4200 Spyder where the finish coat on the switches got sticky. I now have an 06 GranSport Spyder with the redesigned console (hopefully not jinxing myself), not a hint of the switches becoming sticky.

GranSport Spyder-473 built Verdi Goodwood/Cuoio - 4 built.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MrMark, johnei and Texas Forever like this.
  15. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I had a GranSport for about 8 years and like Joe I also had no issues with sticky buttons. I think it's mostly about body chemistry. Some people's sweat is more harsh and corrosive than others. No doubt environment also plays a role. Either way, it's a relatively cheap and easy fix and hardly unique to the GranSport.

As for the transmission, it's all about how you drive it. The car is set up for the average consumer, and not the enthusiast (for obvious reasons). If you drive it like a granny, it will shift like a granny (and eat clutch in the process). Drive more assertively or even aggressively, and you will be rewarded. High revs and WOT are your friend. So is sport mode.

FD DBW doesn't hurt either. It tricks the ECU into thinking you are always driving with WOT. Brilliant.

Gorgeous Spyder, Joe!

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I spent a few hours and 200+ miles in the car yesterday, running with some seriously big dogs. We didn’t have too much trouble keeping up. It made me wonder if it’s time to part with the 328. :) Its fast and comfortable and I didn’t get home exhausted.

Thanks Rob! :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever, SAFE4NOW and rob lay like this.
  17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they are such undervalued cars.

18. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    I have a 6MT Spyder, it's the buy of a lifetime.

19. Flav3xx

Flav3xx Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Switzerland
    #19 Flav3xx, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    I used to own one of last produced Gransport in Grigio Alfieri (very rare) / Full black leather interior with grey piping.
    What a beautiful car.
    Great engine. Fantastic sound with the Maserati x-pipe replacing intermediate cats.
    The only drawback was the gearbox but nothing wrong compared to Ferrari of the same years. Works great and brutal when pushing hard, a joy during downshifts. Regular speed upshifts were not so great. I had the latest software flashed for gearbox, it improved a bit but still not perfect.
    Wheels are beautiful.
    Plenty of details which really make it what I liked in former Maseratis.
    Carbon fiber interior parts (steering wheel in particular), but also center console and rear vents, are great italian job.
    Leather quality is good as well, and not fragile.
    The back of those specific seats is plastic. Only MC Victory (180 units built) had the "MC12-Enzo" seat design with carbon fiber shells.

Unlike the Granturismo, it is a compact car. The engine compartment is also much nicer to look at on the Gransport. Loved the thermal protection inside the lid being in contact with intake manifold. Zero space in between, something you do not see anymore due to safety regulations and crash/deformation zones.

Giugiaro did great job designing this car. Loved it but had to let it go to buy another (english) car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

20. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Have had the Coupe with vintage pack (just slight dress up bits and the light blue speedo--->to die for), and currently own an 06 90th Anniv Blue GS coupe (maybe only 2-3 in the whole world!).

Love the rawness and mechanical feel of the car, none of the refined crap in modern cars. Plenty fast for its era and like someone said, had no trouble keeping up with 458's, etc on a Sunday morning drive (driver dependent also). Ferrari engine, transmission, suspension, switchgear, interior bits. Watch the Ultimate Factories of the 599, and you will see the then generation Quattroporte and GS go into the paint booth after a 599 on that show.

Change clutch every 35k miles (mostly city driven) for ~$4500k. Otherwise, no other major expenses, change oils myself (underbelly pans are a pain!) and super reliable. Between 3 Maseraties (all 2006, 1 before and 2 still owning, 150k+ miles), super reliable. Can't say that about my 2007 CL600 (even though I love it with its Brabus body kit, but a true a money pit).

So get one! For that money, it is on of the best bargains in the world!

F1tommy and Texas Forever like this.
  21. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Oh btw, I was sooooo excited for the Gran Turismo MC Stradale when I first heard of it and was ready to "trade up." Until I drove one and was utterly disappointed. I went out with a Maserati factory "driver" when it was first introduced and him and I both said, "why do I need to trade cars, the GS is much more raw and satisfying, and purpose built."

The biggest culprit (which plagues most modern performance cars nowadays)...HEFT AND WEIGHT. GS is definitely more nimble and fun, and even better with a little suspension mods.

F1tommy likes this.
  22. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    I do miss my GS. Awesome sounds. The f1/cambio corsa worked quite well with formula dynamic dbw module. I could drive it in stop n go traffic no problem and 33% clutch wear after 25k miles .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I truly miss my 2004 Coupe Cambiocorsa. Predated the GS but a great car. I would jump on a good/well maintained one.