488 - 488 Pista base sound system vs JBL | FerrariChat

488 488 Pista base sound system vs JBL

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JB1997, Jul 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    Lately I’ve been going between buying an Aventador S Roadster and a 488 Pista but I’ve always been a Ferrari guy at heart so I’ve made my decision on that front. I was wondering about the audio system in the Pista. I know plenty will say “just listen to the engine” but I enjoy road trips. So I was wondering just how much worse is the base audio system compared with the JBL HI-FI system? I have a Bentley Continental GT with B&O so it’s not the biggest factor to me but I do enjoy music when doing a long drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Have you driven the car? It is very loud and raw especially without carpet or sound insulation. You hear the exhaust and every pebble on the ground. It is hard To “enjoy music” in the Pista even with the JBL upgrade. If you are buying a used one I would not let that option alone influence your decision. Not worth passing on an otherwise good spec just for the audio system. (Just my opinion).

LARRYH, SoCal to az and Lagunae92 like this.
  3. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
  4. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    I’ve previously owned a 488 Spider. Haven’t driven a Pista yet. In comparison with the sound in a 488 Spider, how much louder is it in the cabin? GT3RS loud when at highway speeds or quieter?

5. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Much louder than the 488 spider and You hear every road noise/ road imperfection. The first time I drove mine I ran over a small rock and thought something broke in the car. It hit the undercarriage of the car and made a huge sound. I eventually got used to it and realized it was from the lack of anything that would help with sound absorption. If I’m not mistaken the GT3RS has carpet which helps absorb the sound where The Pista is just bare. The Pista is just raw ( and I love it)

LARRYH likes this.
  6. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    Well ****. At least I have my Bentley if I want something soothing with good music. I need a more hardcore car anyways right now. I’ll go check out the Pista local to me later today.

7. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    IloveGT, Pis7a2020 and Gh21631 like this.
  8. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    And a Piloti too. Very nice.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  9. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    My daily is a Mercedes S cab. I agree, if I want a smooth quiet ride and to listen to good music the daily drive fits that need.

10. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    The base system is a big step up from the 458 Speciale's base system. Total power sounds much higher (louder) and the speakers actually sound liked sized and tuned for the car.

The rawness comments above are all relative. The Pista is much more sound insulated than the Speciale. The exhaust is also more quiet. Case in point: I can take a business call in the Pista; in the Speciale, it would be simply a rude gesture to do so as it is really loud. I'm sure the same relative comparison could be made with the Speciale to Scud and CS.

11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I agree. I have a Pista spider and with the roof up you can just about enjoy the hi-fi above the cabin noise at highway speeds. Top down doesn't work we'll, and once you are really working the engine during a proper drive, it is less relevant anyway.

12. I really think listening to the stereo in the Pista and expecting quality sound is a Sysphisian endeavor.

13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Exactly.
    If you can't hear the stereo at nine grand with the windows or the top down, you have the wrong stereo.
    If the Pista came with 12 inch front rotors and rear drum brakes, how many of you wouldn't upgrade?