Looking at a 308 100k miles | FerrariChat

Looking at a 308 100k miles

Discussion in '308/328' started by Imatk, Jul 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    I don't know much about Ferrari's other than what I've researched.

Been looking casually for a few years for a 308 -- yes I watched Magnum and have wanted one since I was about 8 :)

I'm a gear head, so do most of my own work on my cars... currently own an '87 VW Scirocco 16v, '91 Mustang GT and 2007 GT500.

The car I'm looking at is a 1982 308GTSi so I'm SOMEWHAT familiar with the Bosch fuel injection since it shares a lot of parts with my VW (theoretically that is).

I have my own lift (MaxJax) and am pretty well versed mechanically speaking. So I'm thinking I could do belt services and these sorts of things on my own.

This long-winded intro basically is to my question... is a 100k mile 308 that's in decent condition something that I should consider at a little over 30k?

OR should I keep looking for a lower-mileage version for more cash?

Also this car is in a different state so I can't inspect it myself.

Thanks for any sage advice :)

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I Would definitely want a compression check and someone reputable who knows 308’s to look it over for rust issues if you are unable to do it yourself. which brings up the price point. Few hundred dollars for an airline ticket to go see this vehicle personally is money well spent which you could recoup on price negotiation should you decide to pull the trigger.

NYC Fred and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If the car is religiously maintained, has all or most of the service record, then maybe it’s something to consider. I’ve seen older 308 model that has way more mileage and it still runs great. If you can, get PPI done and take it from there.

4. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    If it’s the California one for 33k, it’s been for sale for some time

5. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    #5 Imatk, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Yeah that's the one :)

Does anyone have a line on someone who could inspect it for me?

6. jk328

jk328 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2013
    Los Angeles
    In Los Angeles I know a 30+ year Ferrari mechanic who is very good. He specializes in older Ferraris and does PMIs. PM for his info if interested.

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Where are you located?

8. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    I'm in Austin Texas

miketuason likes this.
  9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    As the owner of a 117K mile 328, that doesn't sound like enough of a discount for the mileage. Ferrari buyers have a ridiculous paranoia regarding mileage, and a Fcar with 100K+ miles is practically unsellable. I don't think there's anything -wrong- with a high mile car (my motor has never been apart, only 3 majors, and just regular car maintenance). Still, an 82 falls into the least desirable 308s (2 valve injected), so press hard on the price or go find something else.

10. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    What would you say a fair price would be?

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I bid on an '85 QV on Bring a Trailer that had over 100k miles. Got up to $38k before I backed out because I had never bought a car at auction before and it suddenly dawned on me that purchasing a 35 year old automobile sight unseen was kinda nuts. Sure, there were pictures and plenty of them but to spend that kind of money on something I hadn't touched or sat in just seemed all wrong.

The mileage is not a deal killer and combined with the fact that it's an '82 gives you leverage, or at least it should. But if true that it has been for sale for a lengthy time would indicate that the owner is firm on his asking price or maybe doesn't really want to sell it. If you can't get him to negotiate then, at the very least, get some hands on time with the car.

I also have a MaxJax and it makes working on these things a joy. If you're good with a wrench you'll be fine with a 308. I bought my '83 with 50k miles, now at 63k and my goal is to hit 100k, resale value be damned.

Good luck in your search.

Brian Harper and Imatk like this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'm in the 120's and it runs fine

Dane and Imatk like this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Tough sale for sure. May sound crazy but I’d offer tops 25-27k. As other user said with that mileage almost impossible to resale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imatk, mike996 and Steve Magnusson like this.
  14. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Mileage does not matter as long as the car is well documented to understand what has been done and what not.

So you know what you will have to do next.

Then you are in a better position to agree on fair price

Brian Harper and Imatk like this.
  15. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Thanks guys I'll definitely find out what documentation he has and so on. I would much rather see it in person, but the thought of getting on a plane nowadays isn't so great.

I've been pouring through all of the threads here for a while so I'm trying to not let my excitement of owning my dream car to overtake my logical brain.

Saabguy likes this.
  16. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea that part is gonna be tough, ask me how I know.

Saabguy likes this.
  17. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    It’s only 30-33k, take the plunge, drink the koolaid

18. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Mine has 80K miles and going. I would not sell it for anything south of 50K, but then I just had the belts done and the entire suspension re-done. Every car has its price and only after a good PPI By someone who knows 308s can you figure out what that is. Good luck. JP

chas-3 likes this.
  19. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Yeah I've got a Mustang with close to 300k miles if you can believe it :)

I've had it since new so it goes to show that with proper maintenance things can last a good long while.

I recently had to do all of the gaskets, valve cover, lower/upper intake and oil pan along with a new timing chain, but that was at 240k miles so not too shabby :)

My intention is to do the exact same on this 308 (if I can get it). Take care of it, restore anything that needs it, improve anything that has been proven to make the car better, the fuse block I've already read about so I'm ready to buy the improved one and do that if it hasn't already been done.

I'm the guy who my neighbors probably think is crazy because every weekend all I basically do is work on my cars.

I was under my VW the other day doing the fuel pump and I hear this little girl say to her mom, "Why is that man under that car all the time."

I got a chuckle :)

JuLiTrO likes this.
  20. 348KYD

348KYD Karting

Jul 29, 2007
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I think it sounds like a reasonable price as long as there are no major issues, something at that price over here in the UK would be snapped up!!

You're obviously capable with a spanner and I've found nothing difficult to deal with on mine, sometimes the wife's small hands come in useful as space is tight in the back.

Bodywork and rust would be my main concerns as this can get very expensive very quickly, but it it's in decent shape then go for it, they are great fun to work on and a real blast to drive :)

21. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Your main concern will be the resale value. Changing out the old sodium exhaust valves and even putting in new rings and bearings etc. is not a huge deal and there is so much advice and relatively inexpensive parts available. I think the market will bottom in the spring but this is already a good deal and you should get a few thousand off since it hasn’t moved and the seller may be happy to move it. Below 30k they are more valuable as parts.

22. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    That's funny my wife has already helped me with a steering rack boot on the VW. Her tiny hands were able to fit whereas mine... wasn't happening :)

Interesting so with the valves, do you swap out for another material or is it just because of age?

I know a buddy of mine had issue with an old vintage motorcycle back in the day when they stopped selling "Regular" gas. Apparently the metal was just too soft for the premium stuff and the regular gave a bit of cushion.

23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sorry to disagree but no, it isn't nor should it be. Your main concern is enjoyment. Enjoy the car, enjoy your life and don't waste time sweating about money. Soon enough it will all be over and none of it will matter anymore anyway. If a 308 looks good and has 100,000 miles on it then I think it's a pretty good bet that it's been taken care of and loved. If it means anything I have a 1972 Alfa Romeo Spider that we bought in 1980 with 50,000 miles and it now has over 380,000. Of course I did rebuild the engine three times d;-)

24. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Yeah I'm not looking to resell it :) I want to drive it, and take it places so other people can enjoy it.

One of the things that DOES draw me to a higher mileage car is I won't be "ruining" it. I'd be afraid to drive a 308 if it was a show car and had 4k miles on it or something.

I plan to enjoy it as much as I can.

I'm nearing 50 and my knees and hips are already having issues so I definitely want to drive it for as long as my body will allow.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  25. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea you're gonna need that left knee for sure if you get a 308.

Saabguy and Imatk like this.