Photos Taken While Flying | Page 74 | FerrariChat

Photos Taken While Flying

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by juliei, Jan 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My favorite Jimmy Buffet song. When I was a kid in the '60s in Pensacola, I would lay in water in the summertime and watch the storm clouds move in off from New Orleans.

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I have some kinda account for music licensing (from Universal Music Group I think) and should probably get involved with figuring out some additional music.... that Buffet song (assuming it’s in the portfolio I have access to) would be awesome for a local flying video.

flyover of local hospitals:

Cruising down the coast:

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That would be great. Biloxi was written by Jessie Winchester. I don't know if that matters for licencing purposes.

4. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Kelowna, JLF, juliei and 2 others like this.
  5. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Photo taken yesterday in the Diamond DA40 NG while I was practicing an approach into RNAV 23, LPV into KAND. My airspeed was faster than I wanted at that point. I need a lot more practice!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jaguar36 and Bob Parks like this.
  6. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Nice! Congratulations on earning a reinstatement of your CFI!!

7. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    That is scary!

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Lovely picture. Great job. I had to think from your comment, " Back on power." Way ahead of anything that I did.
    Bob

9. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Went flying in a Cessna 177 Cardinal a few days ago... it was my first flight in a small plane since Rob Lay took me up in his plane about a decade ago. Kinda entertaining, everything seems to happen very slowly but that was fine as it was just a fun flight up and down the coast.

Shipyard in Pascagoula, MS:

Texas Forever and alum04org like this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks like a sister ship to the Bon Homme Richard that caught on fire in San Diego.

11. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I’m not familiar with the variations of the amphibious assault ships but it’s very similar. It’s the USS Tripoli (LHA 7) and we did a flyover of it a few months back, made a bunch of passes and got it from multiple angles. The USS Fitzgerald is one of the destroyers down there fresh off repairs at the shipyard from its collision. It was then moored next to the BHR in San Diego and had to be moved during the fire fighting efforts.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Fast shutter speed now that the shutter is electronic.

Hannibal308 likes this.
  14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That's easy. Three gliders.
    Easy. They're three gliders.

16. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Aeroprakt A-22. Ukrainian Light Sport. Built like a (light) tank. Popular with ranchers Down Under who chase critters around with them. Super economical. Our go-to trainer.

donv likes this.
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Easy to tell the tip of the propeller is going faster than near the hub from that photo. But then, everybody already knew that.

18. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I’m just an amateur photog but I think that as sensor chip tech has improved they can bump up the ISO (sensitivity to light) without getting too much noise which reduces the exposure time. This keeps photos from ending up blurry so cameras in auto mode or on phones take pics as quick/short an exposure as possible. With older digital cameras and phones I used to get blurry photos a lot, with iPhone 11 Pro Max they usually turn out pretty good no matter how little attention I pay. With the quicker exposure times moving objects like props tend to get frozen. When I’m shooting with my digital camera I typically like to keep the exposure around 1/1000 second with the C-130J just to get some slight motion blur but it sometimes varies depending on what I’m trying to do.

Something I have been messing with a bit more lately is capturing the vapor trails coming off the prop tips in flight. They are often visible during takeoff roll when it’s humid outside but they are rarely visible to the naked eye in flight. Messing around with some of my equipment it’s been possible to see them at other times as well. You could probably accomplish the same thing with older equipment but capabilities and ease of messing around with the new stuff makes it much easier.

19. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Another video from last month... despite things being insanely busy for us at the moment (Hurricane Douglas in Pacific, Gonzalo in Atlantic and Hanna in Gulf) I have some bigger responsibilities to take care of and haven’t been on any of the storm flights this week. This is much to the disappointment of Public Affairs as I bring them a lot of material, but there will be other storms.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    One of my favorites coming back from a flight into Dorian as it was pounding the Bahamas last year... Public affairs took the pic as I was holding the flag out the escape hatch.

Ak Jim, Jacob Potts and Texas Forever like this.
  21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- What is the biggest difference you are seeing between the older H models and the new J models?

22. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    What I like about this shot is the props are spinning but the plane is not moving! And it's in midair! :cool:

Jacob Potts likes this.
  23. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The power is definitely noticeable... seat of the pants a J loaded up with max gas (60k) feels a lightly loaded H. The ability to climb to altitude and speed up rather than step climb on warm days is nice.

The WC-130H had slightly longer range than the WC-130J as it had a giant Benson tank in the cargo compartment but that is rarely a factor. I have only been on a few max range missions (Colombo, Sri Lanka to Darwin, Australia with a brisk headwind being the most memorable) and I’m not sure if they would have tried it in the slower H model.

The avionics are also a big step up however the modernization program in works for the H will be beyond the J. Having said that the upgrades to the H seem to be a decades long disaster. Cockpit automation in the J isn’t quite at airliner levels but it’s a huge step over the legacy Herks. For normal airlift it’s really a two person cockpit where the H required a Engineer and Navigator. For special missions like the Hurricane hunters we still have a nav to pick through the nastiest bits using radar while the pilots focus on maintaining altitude and airspeed.

There are other things like integrated flip over rollers in the back and a built in winch (rather than giant clunky freestanding one) that really make things better for the loadmasters in the back.