ASU/Tempe area | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ASU/Tempe area

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Edward 96GTS, May 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    as the OP, thanks for all the replies.
    we will be staying at the JW camelback inn.
    would appreciate breakfast, lunch and dinner recommendations. can be hole in the walls to fins dining and everything in between.
    tia

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what time does the sunset in Az in spring and fall?
    is it safe to walk asu campus around 8 pm?

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #28 arizonaitalian, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    there are several threads in Silver and in the food and travel forums that have Scottsdale/PHX area food recs. Try the search function.

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    google can tell you the sunrise and sunset times for your exact dates. With our "no daylight savings" policy, its pretty much dark at 8pm year round in AZ.

I think somehow you are getting the wrong impression if you think its unsafe to walk around the campus/tempe area at 8pm.

Its a reasonably nice area in a larger metro area, its safer than most of places in such large metro areas around the country and world.

That said, "safe" for an unaccompanied 18-22 year old girl is another matter altogether and a judgement that is often formed less by the area than by the comfort level of the parents and girl. (meaning some parents are not comfortable with their 18-22 year old daughter walking alone in even the nicest areas after dark)

5. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    We come to Phoenix on the 5th of August. I rented a house for the week so we can get my son moved in on the 10th. We don’t know eachother but we will be doing the same thing in a couple weeks. Pretty cool.

Can someone give me an update on restaurants and gyms in Phoenix? Open? Closed? What’s the virus situation?

6. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Restaurants open.....with mask to enter and exit but not at table.

Gyms are still closed until mid August at very earliest.

Personally I feel Scottsdale is totally fine for COVID - we spiked heavily because they reopened the bars in Old Town which caused thousands of people to all be shoulder to should with no masks on!

Hence bars are still closed.

Let me know if you need anything

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    from what i understand, move in to dorms is august 15th?
    first day of class aug 20th(depending on major).
    restaurants that look appealing are:
    - hashkitchen.com
    - dominickssteakhouse.com
    -galloblancocafe.com
    -maestro’s but $$$$
    -we booked a week at Jw camelback inn.
    hopefully there is a cars and coffee event.
    ed

8. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hash and Dominick's are good. I've never heard of gallo. There is a weekly C&C type get together at 4 'til 4 (coffee shop in Old Town) on Saturday mornings.

I get together with a few guys for breakfast on Sundays in old town. You are welcome to join us and chat about AZ, cars or whatever! This goes for Jason too. Just message me.

9. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Man that’s depressing. Everything in Atlanta has been open since April 28. Gyms, bars, everything. No masks. I’m in the gym every day and out with friends all the time. We’re all still alive. Oh well.... that’s for another thread I suppose. I’m gonna go nuts if I can’t hit the gym while I’m there for a week. Hopefully they open everything up.

10. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My son says dorm move in is the 10th. I’m leaving it up to him to figure out his schedule so it’s very possible he’s wrong. Ha. Yes, my son says classes start on the 20th. Hopefully that doesn’t change due to corona. Our plan is to hang out in Scottsdale from the 5th to the 12th.

Have you heard anything about campus life this fall that isn’t on the ASU website? They seem to be sort of open ended about last minute changes.

11. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thank you very much for the invite. Yes I’d love to meet up with you and your group as well as check out the C&C. My plan is to leave Atlanta for good and Scottsdale area is high on my list. I’ve always loved phoenix and now my son will be there so it’s a win win. I have a lot to learn about the area though. I will message you when i get out there.

12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i heard that the art dept students have the worst dorms. very small and the bathrooms are down the hall.
    some classes are in person but a student can elect to take all classes online.
    dino thanks for the invite for coffee....sounds great.

13. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim

For "hole in the wall" restaurants, during my many trips to Phoenix in the 80s, I spent a number of evenings at a such a restaurant in Tempe. It was a steak house in an OLD western structure on the west side of town as I recall. For an East Coast guy, it surely gave me the feel of the old West. The food was good as well.

14. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Best breakfast in PHX is Butters.

FOr NICE seafood/steak dinners we eat at Eddy Vs and Maple & Ash fairly regularly.

TomAZ likes this.
  15. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Nah, the best breakfast is Snooze.

16. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

they ruin most of their entrees with too much sugar and sweetness.

TomAZ likes this.