488 Pista Values | Page 19 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Values

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by customryder, Nov 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Mclaren did get financial backing. I dont think you have to worry about long term with Mclaren as they will be fine after they reorganize their business strategy. For me, we decided to build a new house and I dont have garage space and all funds are going to the new house and right now I can't justify the 200k hit to upgrade to a 765 fro my 720. Not worth the squeeze for me as I would rather add a Porsche Touring instead. But will reevaluate in the future to see how things shake out.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Interesting, they changed their minds on the vents then. I passed on the allocation. Have been rethinking for the Spyder version. Can’t see another car coming out that will match the 765’s performance.

3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No doubt. but can you live with the sound? I cant imagine the sound being drastically different than the 720.

4. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    That’s sounds like a good plan and congrats on the house. If it still had my 720s I would never consider the upgrade as your are correct, the hit would be too much. Now if it ever stopped raining in Tampa I could actually drive the Pista.

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    House is still 2 years out but its so much fun planning it with my man cave/garage all rolled into one. I just approved the preliminary plans and now the architect is going to start drawing construction documents. Im hoping to break ground in January/February with an 18 month construction timeline. By then, Ill be ready to add another addition to the garage. In the meanwhile, we are debating whether to sell our current house now and lock in gains and rent or wait till new house is closer to completion. Either way, my garage will finally be worthy of the cars that will be in there.

Thecadster, C50 and mkraft3003 like this.
  6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    765 sound, even if it significantly elevated over the 720, will never satisfy you. On your way home from picking it up at the dealer will cause you to make a U turn and give it back.

mkraft3003 and Ash Patel like this.
  7. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Im going to take this thread further off topic. Have you had any issues with the 720s windshield ? Dealer service guy out here told me they have replaced 30 Mclaren front windshields due to cracking in the last 2 years. That seems like a crazy amount to me. He said some were due to rock chips , some to production defects but the overriding issue seems to be the thickness of the glass.

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The cars are light for a reason lol

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    zero issues with the windshield. My gorilla glass above the head had to be replaced once due to a crack. Other than some occasional electrical gremlins that have come up which have just resolved on its own, Ive had no issues with the car. 4500 miles on it so far.

10. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    That’s great. Decent mileage also.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Now that’s funny!

12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yup. and what a shame too cause he will have missed out on an epic car cause...you know....sound. :)

Gh21631 likes this.
  13. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Roof scoop is awkward looking and isn’t an intake snorkel (as it was with P1, 675, 600), so you don’t get the Darth Vader breathing over your neck effect. It’s function is to cool the engine during extended track sessions.... so basically non functional on the street.

I think it’s more of a marketing gimmick than anything, since the margin is surely huge and well, every LT coupe needs to offer a roof scoop. Many people will option it because they’re uninformed of its actual functionality or think it will be more desirable from a resale point of view, based on previous roof scooped models. Needless to say I passed on the option.

sampelligrino, Bundy and Gh21631 like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think it looks cool. Half the options are non functional. Do you really think carbon fiber in the car does anything to enhance performance? No its a visual gimmick like the roof scoop.

15. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    I have noticed on Autotrader that UK Pista prices have eased in the last few weeks. There are quite a few for sale at £300-325k, which depending on spec, is probably a small premium on MSRP.
    The price for a decent low mileage Speciale is circa £275k, and so I believe Pista prices are unlikely to drop much further.
    I agree with Jon that longer term, Pista values will depend on whether an F8 "special" comes along.

16. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #466 ScrappyB, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Carbon fibre isn’t claimed to be performance enhancing. It’s purely eye candy.

The main performance option on the 765 are the Senna rotors, which I expect very few will select.

My main point is that the roof scoop on the 765 isn’t the same as the other models I referenced. It functions the same as the Senna’s, which was disappointing to discover.

Bundy likes this.
  17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I would have optioned it in a heartbeat if it looked and functioned the same as the 600LT’s.

sampelligrino and Bundy like this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree with you but I would still opt to get it even though its not functional. Visually I like the way it looks. It sets the car apart.

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Like other models I believe this greatly depends on the body color. For darker colors the carbon doesn't show very well but the contrast looks very good with lighter colors. The costs weren't too high for most of the carbon options so I went with them. I did skip the diffuser and the sills. The diffuser is under the rear and hard to notice and the sills will look fine without carbon. I did go with the Senna seats though - too cool not to check that box.

SoCal to az likes this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I have a feeling it will be pretty good but once again not as aggressive as the Perf or any NA car. With my first 720 I did exhaust and downpipes and it sounded incredible + added some power. Easy fix for exhaust sound.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Enough carbon parts and the weight is reduced, figure you are adding about ~40HP with the reduction of ~100lbs in this type of car. It all adds up. I really dont need another car right now with all I have going on but I just couldn't skip this one. God help me.

SoCal to az likes this.
  22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    100% agree. I loved the way glossy carbon looks next to the chalk paint of my 2RS so I’ve attempted to replicate that look on the 765 with ‘smoked white’. Added a splash of colour with the brake calipers in McLaren orange.

Gh21631 and Bundy like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I agree with this. On a dark car (I was contemplating Chicanne Effect) its not as visible or necessary. For the lighter colors- agree with you- its easier to see and looks better. The 720/765 is so out there in terms of design the carbon doesnt do much where as the Pista is more of a "traditional" look the the carbon helps to set the car apart.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #474 Shadowfax, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    All reports point toward the 765 sounding incredible but then I'm from the camp who really likes the sound of a Pista and 488. And 765 LT has flames!!!:cool:

The roof scoop looks cool and does set the car apart as socal suggests but at 80k I passed, same with the Senna rotors at 40K. Just too much to justify. A line needs to be drawn somewhere at this level of spend and the car isn't cheap once all the CF and other extras are included.

I also think the only car that could affect Pista's pricing would be 765 Lt's availability on the used market. The rest of the cars coming out will only make 765 more valuable. And with only 1520 examples being made puts 765's exclusivity a long way ahead of Pista's which was produced in much larger numbers.

And all this talk about Mclaren going bust is just wishful thing from a certain group. The Arabs will never let it close and they have plenty of money. So unless oil runs out in Arabia, Mclaren is going to be around for quite some time yet.;)

Bundy and ScrappyB like this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    And Gh take a look at this! Just as well you quit out of that tts taycan! So much for these electric cars and other hybrids being drag strip queens. 992 tts is already quicker and as quick as a Pista down the quarter at 10.2. So all this weight and huge power of these new expensive hybrids is already under threat from an ice car with way less power. LB has something to worry about and it hasn't even been released lol. I'm certain 765 LT will own BB, LB and all rest by look of these numbers. watch from 3.15 on.