SF90 Stradale exclusivity | FerrariChat

SF90 Stradale exclusivity

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by ponyis458, Jun 7, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ponyis458

ponyis458 Rookie

Jul 29, 2015
    Hi, guys

Recently I went to my dealer and specced my F8 and SF90. I'm wondering how is the availability/wait time of SF90 from your dealer? Is SF90 a popular model and how exclusive the SF90 will be?

Please share your thoughts

Thank you
    L

2. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2010
    CA, NV, TX
    The general sense I've been getting is that those who want one will be able to get one.

I'm getting the sense demand isn't as high as other "regular production" models (possibly due to the hybrid powertrain, and possibly due to price).

Curious to know everyone else's experience...

3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Dealers towing company line regarding SF90: "All allocations sold out." Camilleri bragging on shareholder calls: "Order book is full." Then on further inquiry, dealer will tell you SF90 available if you want one.

F2003-GA and ryalex like this.
  4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    It’s not a limited edition so question is how long you need to wait I guess

5. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Plenty of walk-in allocations available here. As a public company now, they need to be careful about some of these statements. The Monza was available in Europe long after he told investors it was sold out too.

day355 likes this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The Pista was allegedly sold out even before it was offered for sale...

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If people cant get it they want it even more ... SF90 not sure if that applies eh?

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Pretty much every high end manufacturer from cars to clothes to art lies about orders being full and then graciously lets you get your order in.

Im in that business and I see it from every company.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They’ll make the car for 5 years minimum I’m assuming so ya if you want one you’ll get one. If the platform is successful, milk it! Make 10,000 of them if you can sell them. That’s probably about $1b to their bottom line.

tres55, F2003-GA and paulchua like this.
  10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #10 Eilig, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    2-3 yrs max. Not enough market for car like this & at this price. And battery/hybrid tech becomes obsolete quick.

Adamas, technom3 and BJK like this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    2 yrs coupe, then 2 yrs Spider?

456-boy likes this.
  12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Predictably yes.

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Covid will change everything. They’ll add time to milk the profit from the platform.

F2003-GA likes this.
  14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Meh they are already doing it with the f8

F2003-GA, ryalex and Jo Sta7 like this.
  15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    the precedence is set!

16. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I was told 500 units/year for 4 years at unveil

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ya... There is for sure going to be more than 500

18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I think Ferrari has diluted the brand with so many new models. The V12 was the flagship and now it's an appendage since the SF90 but they are trying to keep it relevant by doing the GTS and making customers think that will be an exclusive car. I was told buy the 812 to get one and three months later after the 812 is in my garage, they are giving GTS allocations to anyone that can pay for it.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Where in Europe are you? Plenty of walk-in orders? How come people in France, Germany. Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Spain and Portugal are all turned away and have been on waiting lists since August last year?
    When you make that statement, it needs some background. I've spoken go both dealers and high tier Corse Cliente customers, and nobody has been offered an allocation. My dealer who's not only one of the largest in continental Europe, servicing clients from four countries, but also known fkr both getting a lof of allocations, but also for being fairly easy to deal with for walk-in's/first timers, have nothing. They usually carry enough heft to get extra allocations if they sit idle with other dealers in and outside Europe. They have nothing, and I know they are trying because so.e of the guys not getti g what they want are pretty big hitters.

There was a bit of a delay in reaction after the unveil, and that meant a few of the guys here who usually jump right in, did not get an allocation. We're not talking small fish with an FF and a 488 in the garage. We're talking Challenge and FXX-K runners with LaF. Enzo, TdF, and so forth among their inventory. They usually get what ever they want, but not this time. Some I know have been promised a Spider instead, and others are simply waiting in case others back out.

That's just how it looks from where I sit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Like when they said they "pre-sold every 612 OTO" when demand was so tepid that they only built them after the order?

I suspect there is a production issue. Hybrid component problems? Like Co-Pilota noted, they had the unveil and road show and then tripped up getting pricing and order details out. You saw the car but then dealers were stumped as to how many/how much/when... not exactly the most reassuring way to get $600k out of a buyer.

21. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    From the two dealers where i have been a customer (one German, one UK) there was no problem ordering one at least when I checked a while back. And I know of two people personally who are not regular Ferrari customers who have ordered one. Ferrari has a long standing policy of allocating a portion of their production cars outside of their regular customer base for commercial reasons, so that's not a surprise. So that's what I saw and wrote here. I have been in the Ferrari game long enough since the 1980s to know what weak demand for a car looks like.

Of course not every person wanting to buy a Ferrari can get one even if the car is not selling well. That's marketing 101, but
    I wonder how you could possibly know that people are all turned away in all these different counties? May be your phone also rings every time Lousi Camilieri's does? :D

Astrid.Didier and F2003-GA like this.
  22. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    I hate to pile on, but Barry's statement is just plain wrong. The SF-90 is extremely in demand. Its future Spider version will be even more so.

uhn2000 likes this.
  23. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    No doubt you also remember how "in demand" the 812 was when it was released. In UK the dealers said the entire run was sold out, in Germany 2 year waiting list. Well, that didn't last long did it? Because of the the current market and the Ferrari business model, the days of "sold out" for production models are long gone, at least until the next cycle.

Astrid.Didier, F2003-GA and day355 like this.
  24. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    So your position is that there is not much demand for the SF-90? In other words, if you go to your dealer in Germany, or if I go to my dealer in US, we could easily get one of the first build allocations made available to our dealer?

25. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    SirPouyan, your two propositions above are not the same as you suggest. Let me give you a quick illustration by an example from my own past experience. Back in the late 1980s I wanted to order a 412 (which was the GTC4Lusso of its day if you are not familiar). In what was then the largest market for Ferrari in Germany, I was told they were all sold out and waiting list was two years. I could have come away with the impression that the car was in extreme demand. The reality was very different. The German allocation was no more than 10 a year. So as the 11th customer, I couldn’t get one yet Ferrari globally was only seeing a demand for perhaps 100 412s a year (they built about 500 over 5 years IIRC) while selling 1000+ Testarossas annually which were way more popular/in-demand, but actually easier to order. So I ordered one instead. The reality was Ferrari were supplying enough to meet the demand on both of these production cars yet my personal experience could have given me the opposite impression of which was the “in-demand” car.

So ignoring the fact that your two propositions are not equivalent, I think you are seeing a situation with the SF90 not dissimilar. There is just a relatively small market for a $500k+ production Ferrari regardless of the impressive specs.

Also there are similarities with the 812 situation – a lot of initial hype about excess demand, then the supply arrives to meet it, and soon no problem ordering it. If the hype is overdone, then you end up in the situation like in Europe with a massive supply overhang in the “almost new “ car market, and people backing out of new orders. And before you ask, I own an 812.

And yes, I know for certain that 6 weeks ago I could still order a SF90 in Germany if I wanted to (as impressive as the technical specifications may be, it's just too ugly for me). I obviously have no idea if you could do the same in the US.