Buying 2006 F430 Spider | FerrariChat

Buying 2006 F430 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ryan English, Jul 20, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan English

Ryan English Rookie

Jul 20, 2020
    I am in the process of doing an in depth look into a 2006 F430 silverstone spider with 23k miles. It was owned for 4 years by one of the members on here but is now for sale at a dealer.

Wanting to get some advice on the mileage if I plan to drive the car regularly.

2. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I purchased mine ('06 F430 Spider) 3 months ago. It was also owned by a member of this forum, and known to be well-sorted, based on the history he noted here for the previous several years. Mine had 42,xxx miles on it when I bought it, and I just ticked-over the 45k mile mark yesterday, so a little over 1000miles/month of ownership.

My PERSONAL opinion:
    Assuming a complete and comprehensive service-history, the mileage can't really be seen as anything but a positive, from my perspective. All issues should be well-sorted, and the mileage has accelerated its depreciation (which means you buy it right, and don't worry about driving it).

The only real major-expense I'm anticipating in the next 24 months will be a clutch (Mine is an F1). I wish I had checked the clutch-wear the moment it arrived to me. The seller reported it at 27% used shortly before my acquisition. I'm now at 47%. But I've been there for about 2000 miles, so either the shipping company abused the clutch as they unloaded-it and loaded-it twice between the seller and I, - OR - my first 1k miles learning to drive the F1 were really hard on it.

When you buy it, get the clutch read (or buy a tool to read it yourself, as I did) and check it early, so you can monitor that usage.

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. Ryan English

Ryan English Rookie

Jul 20, 2020
    The current clutch wear is 24% and there are all service records from being done at the dealer

4. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I agree with jag-oo-r. I did almost the same as you’re contemplating. Bought my 08 Silverstone 430 from a fellow fchatter with almost 22K miles back in November and have put about 1,000 miles on since then. The mileage is high enough that I don’t feel guilty putting more miles on it, the price was lower so I worry less about depreciation, and it didn’t have any deferred maintenance. Sounds like you’ve found a really nice 430 that ticks all the right boxes.

SpencerMarks and jag-oo-r like this.
  5. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Personal opinion here. I just purchased an 06 F430 myself. Has 26k miles on the dash. However it looks far better than others I have seen with much fewer miles, including 2 examples that were for sale at my Ferrari Dealer for a much higher price. PPI also concluded it was well sorted and well maintained. Mileage doesn’t always* matter!

AandSC likes this.
  6. Ryan English

Ryan English Rookie

Jul 20, 2020
    Curious to know purchase price if you don’t mind sharing.

7. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Hi, You bought the car I wanted. Kidding aside, which tool did you get to read the clutch wear?

jag-oo-r likes this.
  8. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    No problem. Mine was 2006 F430 Coupe. F1. Rossa corso/ tan. Daytona seats. Leather roof and leather firewall. Subwoofer. Yellow tach. Carbon fiber options. 75% clutch left. Paid 85k.

9. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Yeah, Dan mentioned there were a couple other interested parties. I believed him, and the car was as perfect as he reported it to be.
    I bought the Autel AP200 first, and it worked for some simple items, like Clutch life. But last week my Launch X431 PROS Mini arrived, and that's an impressive piece of tech.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DQPN4N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Thanks for the info on the scan tools. Yes, this was the car that I wanted but because of COVID, I could not travel to the Northwest to see the car. So how has your new ownership experience been? Would you recommend the F430 Spider, any advice for me since I am about to take the same plunge..