Catalysts temp. not plausible. Go to dealer slowly | FerrariChat

Catalysts temp. not plausible. Go to dealer slowly

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by vaderinc, Aug 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    So I got this interesting error message in my FF yesterday ...

Catalytic converter temperature system failure: “Catalysts temp. not plausible. Go to dealer slowly”

I drove the car to work in the morning, parked in the building basement (much cooler down there than outside), didn't move the car all day. Evening time, got in the car to go home and got this message as soon as I hit the engine start button.

Didn't move the car, turned it off, waited for a few minutes, restarted the car and got the same message again. I thought it must be some sort of bug as there is no way the catalytic converters were too hot. The car was parked and hadn't moved for 6-7 hours. I drove it home slowly and this morning it started just fine with no error messages.

Suggestions? Is it worth a trip to the dealer or just ignore it and hope it doesn't come back?

2. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I had that happened to mine before.

Dealer suspect it was caused by low battery level, which I think it BS cause I just drove the car the day before and it was only parked overnight, I had them replaced the sensors anyway under warranty.

3. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Happened to us. Was overfilled oil which led to dowsing the intake system with oil. Probably also caused a fault in one or more exhaust system sensors. Took a few hours to clean intake ducts,, mass air flow sensor and air filter boxes, as well as replace air filters.

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Could be a broken or disconnected cat sensor... Particularly if it persists.

SV

5. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thanks guys. It's been two days since the incident and everything seems to be working fine. Let's wait and see. I really don't want to take the car in as they will probably keep it for at least a couple of days and that's a hassle. Hope it's one of those things that just goes away on its own :)

6. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I got it in a 599. Would disappear with reboot.

LARRYH likes this.
  7. cgomez

cgomez Karting

Sep 25, 2007
    Key Biscayne
    Full Name:
    Carlos E. Gomez
    Got this same error yesterday.
    Coincidentally happened here in Miami with the ambient temperature dropping quickly suddenly due to a cold a front.
    How do you "reboot " the car?

8. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I just took it to the dealer because it's near by :)

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Try parking and locking the car. Wait for all screens to go dark. Give it a few minutes. Then try restarting the car. That often will clear things at least temporarily. I'm glad the OP went to the dealer because my experience is 50/50 on things being either gremlins or actual problems.

10. Mike Petersen

Mike Petersen Rookie

Aug 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael Richard Petersen
    We had this issue recently on a '15 458. Turned out to be a bad coil on the #6 cylinder. As raw fuel was being dumped onto the cat due to misfires in the cylinder, the cat temps jumped.

This issue may be intermittent at first, but once the coil starts to go bad it will not get better with a battery reset.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I had this on my FF. I’m told the error message is a bit of a catch all and can signify a problem with plenty of things other than the cats. In my case, it was a fuel pump going bad. I kept driving the car as the error would go away. Eventually the fuel pump caused an ECU to fry which blew a 50A fuse and left me stranded.

Go get it checked.

12. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I had this problem on my previous F12 . I’ve been seven times at assistance , they changed fuel pump , fuel pipes , injectors always connected to Maranello especially because car was on warranty . They realized after six times they hade to remove engine and change a faulty hydraulic timing . Camshaft was not pushing enough down a valve and fuel was not burning properly causing excessive cat temp . I had that error only after pushing a little not just starting the engine . Sometimes warning was disappearing by itself , sometimes after re-start , but after a certain numbers of warnings ( if I remember well it should be 10) the engine lamp was on and then I had to go to assistance

of2worlds likes this.
  13. TriumphantTaco

Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2018
    I get this on my '12 FF on occasion. Replacing the battery, keeping the car on the tender at all times, and letting it warm up a bit before starting up makes this problem stay away. The cold start of my car involves a rather unique "coughing fit' that occurs right before the engine goes from 1200 RPM to the 800ish it normally idles at. If I drive away before that occurs, I get the error and possibly an ECU error to go along with it. Ferrari SF has looked into this numerous times, de-carbonized the combustion chamber, and taken a host of other measures and seems to be unable to resolve. $40 bluetooth OBDII tool reveals that when this happens there's a misfire on cylinders 6 & 7. I hate having this linger undiagnosed, but luckily the car is running great as long as I abide by the warmup and keep it on the tender.

14. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    I just got this on my '13 458 Spider. I was about a mile from my home when I got the message. So, the engine was warm, but not hot. I turned around, called the dealer and they are supposed to come out and pick it up. I am hoping I don't get the bull crap "battery is low" excuse.

OBD deals with "plausibility" errors in addition to out of range errors that would normally throw a CEL. An example of a plausibility error would be one cat. temperature sensor reading -40° and the other 300°. Both temperatures are in range, but both cannot happen at the same time. Hence, the reading is not plausible. Also, the ECU cannot figure out which reading is the correct one.

16. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
  17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I had an error message similar to that on my F12 several times .. I recharged the battery and it went away or sometimes a simple reboot.. These cars take more miles than many people drive to recharge the battery... Eventually it shut the car into limp mode(several months later) and had it sent to the dealer it was a defective senser and was replaced under warranty ... it never had anything to do with the cat convertor....