Will having a new speedo with fresh miles hurt a resale? | FerrariChat

Will having a new speedo with fresh miles hurt a resale?

Discussion in '348/355' started by mcooper, Oct 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mcooper

mcooper Karting

May 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My speedometer problem was unrepairable so I am having to get a new one.

Does anyone know if this will hurt the resale if I eventually sell the car down the road and the miles are not rolled forward to what the old speedometer stopped at? I'll obviously hold onto the old one for proof, but I don't know if it's even worth having them rolled forward.

2. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    I actually would think it would "help" resale...Everyone wants a speedo with low miles showing.

3. texasfcar

texasfcar Karting

Mar 16, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yes, it will hurt resale. Can't you have the new odo set to the mileage of the old one?

The mileage change will trigger a flag on Carfax.

4. mcooper

mcooper Karting

May 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For aesthetics, maybe. But legally, you'd still need to state the actual miles on the odometer statement.

5. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    yes, an ODO discrepancy will seriously hurt resale. it will scare away many buyers.

6. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would take the new one to a speedometer shop and have it set to match the miles of the previous one. If you don't do this, at the very least, take a photo of the new "0" mile odometer, next to the current odometer while it's still in the dash, so you can show when it was changed out. It's worth a trip to a certified speedometer shop to preserve the "actual miles" mark on your title, and on carfax.

jimmym likes this.
  7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is a good idea. My advice would be to document everything and obviously keep the invoices so that you can show the next buyer.

jimmym likes this.
  8. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #8 Saint Bastage, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    I was my understanding that it was illegal to provide a replacement speedo without verifying, certifying, and matching actual mileage. I also understand that many of the newer cars also count mileage with the ECU and a seperate sensor. A discrepancy between ECU and ODO is a HUGE problem and could constitute fraud. Ask Mike Vic about fraud across State lines.

I don't know this information first hand. Its just how I understand it.

9. mcooper

mcooper Karting

May 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is Mike Vic on here? Is that his login name?

10. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    How new is "newer?" I have two ECUs, one setup for higher performance, and one set up with factory settings. Hopefully, my ECU doesn't need to match the odometer.

11. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    engine miles and body miles are sometimes different. Unless you replace everything what is the true point

12. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    My understanding is 360 and up. Mind you this is what I've heard...not what I know

13. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I would match the new speedo miles to that on the old speedo. Saves any question...

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    360 and up! Correct! :D:D

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I would also have the speedo brought forward to match the miles on the old unit. :):)

As soon as you mention speedometers..........people starting thinking "story car" and thats not what you want with your Ferrari. :):)

jimmym likes this.
  16. mcooper

mcooper Karting

May 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    OK. Thanks for the input. I see it make sense to just roll it forward and keep photo/written documentation that the miles matched.

17. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The odometer in my TR was changed by a Ferrari Dealer before I bought the car I have the old odometer and the receipt for the replacemnet. I was nice getting a car with 36 miles showing on the odometer :)

18. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Given how bloody easy it is to disconnect the sender on 3x8 cars, I'd be
    really surprised if hardly ANY 3x8 cars have 'actual miles' on them.

19. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Oh come on dude, that is a really bad thinking..... I know my car has what my speedo says and is because it matches the PPI documentation of the car history. I am sure many other mates feel in the same way I do ....

20. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #20 Jedi, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
    Ok, "dude" - think about this: buy a car with 40K miles. Drive it for a while with
    the ODO connected, to say 44K miles. Then disconnect the ODO sender, and drive
    across the country. Get home, reconnect the ODO, and sell it with 44K miles.
    Car Fax is happy. Your buyer is happy. Except the car ACTUALLY has 54K miles on
    it after your trip because the ODO was disconnected. How will that be reflected in
    the documentation exacty?

Don't think it happens? Put on your rosey glasses - it happens. The connector is
    right at the rear under the car. Given what's at stake, I have very little confidence
    in the mileage in these cars. I'm at 69,320 miles "indicated" - Lord only knows what
    my mileage might actually be - all I know is it's honest NOW.

Don't be so naive.

And don't call me 'dude' - ONLY Lebowski is called "the Dude".

21. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

A place like Palo Alto Speedo was unable to fix your old one? That is surprising, based on the experiences I've had with them.

Like others have stated, I would roll the new one forward to match the old miles.

jimmym likes this.
  22. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I remeber this being dicussed before and some states actualy having laws against rolling the speedo forward. The way the laws are written moving it forward or back is considered tampering. Either way it will be hard to hide.. the new unit will look newer and cleaner.. no getting around the fact that this will come up at resale time unless it's one of many uneducated buyers we have seen as of late. The same folks that buy the ratty cars to save 2 or 3 grand and end up with problems and expenses. I laugh everytime someone passes on mine to buy a "cheaper" car and then posts thread after thread to fix all the issues instead of having fun driving their new car.

That being said if you can have a new one installed showing the correct milage it would be best and may not be detected in the future.

23. ILLA NOIZ

ILLA NOIZ Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Concord, North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I know this is an older thread - But my 348 Speedo just went out and Palo Alto will not fix the unit. They were not happy with the success of their repairs and decided to stop working on them. I was referred to another shop who again forwarded me to a third repair shop. This shop quoted me 375 - 500 "IF" they can repair it. For around $500 I can purchase a new unit. So this is likely the route I will go. The just have to find someone who can roll it forward.
    I've tried to find used to possible swap the mechanics but asking for used with no warranty has been $350-$500

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Is it possible is not the Speedo but the sensor that feeds it?

25. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    If you haven't already, you might want to try North Hollywood Speedometer. They offer a warranty on their work as well.

jimmym and ILLA NOIZ like this.