Ferrari Testarossa Purchase | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Testarossa Purchase

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by oo7ml, Jul 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Longstone Tyre posts here and has Michelins available for much much more money. Two tires available for a thirty year old car is pretty good. And if you want better then the aftermarket 18” wheels are the way to go. Save your stock wheels.

oo7ml likes this.
  2. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The BF Goodrich rears were very hard to locate for a long time. Seems they recently did a production run. I have a set on my stock 16” wheels and they are a decent tire. I also had Toyo R888’s all around on a set of 16” 288 GTO wheels (on my 86 TR). I was surprised at how quiet and grippy they were- also a very good choice if your sticking to the 16”. But as @xplodee said Moving up to larger diameter gets you into much better tire choices.

3. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I should have added... the Toyo R888’s are great in So CA in the warm dry weather. Rumor has it cold or wet may be an issue.

4. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    My observation of the market has been that TR's and 512 TR's in Europe generally have lower asking prices than the US.

But, on that 125,000 Pound car, did that include VAT? Americans are used to quoting things without VAT, and if that car included the 20+% VAT it might be more in line with what people here expect.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    UK (&EU) secondhand cars do not incur vat so that figure is what you pay - no sales tax

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Many, u mean u?;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOSS likes this.
  7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    well, and Harry Metcalf which counts for at least five normal opinions

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    not really right. it depends if you buy from private party or from business party. from private always no tax, but from business could be and also could not be. this depends on several facts

9. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I've got a FB page that I've documented my ownership since June of last year. @bellarossa2019 if you're interested in the experience from a first time owner. Since then I've had the driveline out twice and the trans down to bare casing. I've got lots of pics and might give you some insight into an average DIY experience. Lots of advice from the pros here for sure.

Wheel options were three that I know of. The early monodado (single nut) came in a strange TRX wheel size and then later 16" wheels. Tires are available but not a lot still made in that size. Later five lugs began in mid year 88, so you'll hear 88.5 as a model designation. 85-early 88 have the single lug centers. You'll need a torque wrench and big socket for those single lug ones. I'd recommend that even if you don't do your own work. You don't want them coming off at speed.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Rose Red likes this.
  10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Also relates to buying a freshly painted car. 6 months to a year before you really see what quality to have. It can be stunning and a perfect
    10 a week after and a 6 in 8 months to a year.

11. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    You will pay mega prices for single bolt aftermarket wheels. My 86 TT had HRE's. They were beautiful and about 5k a piece.

12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Not true! I found a modern facility that makes custom wheels for $750/ea for 18” two piece or one. Very high end stuff and they design any wheel to your tastes from scratch.

13. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I made two statements so which one is not true? I know what the HRE's cost. You know of a facility that makes high end wheels? Forged wheels that have been properly forged run more than 750. Cast wheels are junk. My Lingenfelter one off wheels by HRE were 10,000 for the set. What are you willing to trust your 100k car on?

14. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Just that you don’t have to pay mega bucks for single bolt custom wheels. You definitely can pay megabucks for badass, high end and big names wheels like your old HRE’s. But you can also buy wheels machined from forged billet (which is what forged wheels are) for 750/ea.

Manufacturing has come a long way since aftermarket wheels in the early 90s. These processes are not as expensive as they used to be.

MOSS likes this.
  15. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Billet is best. Who is it Tim?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

xplodee likes this.
  16. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Augment Wheels, can be seen on IG. Very nice stuff and they've done a few Monodado’s already.

17. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    So custom one off wheels for that price?

18. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    yup! Crazy but true.

19. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    sherrillt and MOSS like this.
  20. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Im impressed. Very nice Tim

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

xplodee likes this.
  21. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The 18’’ look great, but I’m sure they’ve dropped the suspension in the mockup to give it a cleaner look.

22. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The mockup is based on my car with 17” wheels. Nothing but the wheel was changed. My wheels have an incredible looking offset when seen in person, I get tons of compliments at car shows (not concours! Lol)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Concours are for cars with modified vents only!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Fwiw, I really do believe that with an aftermarket custom wheel supplier like Augment Wheels making stuff for single lug TR's, there's no reason to worry about the whole 16" or even metric wheel problem associated with the earlier TR's. To me it's a no brainer to pick up any monodado and factor in the money to buy new wheels and tires so you can enjoy it on rubber from the 21st century. Save your stock wheels regardless of whether they are 16" or metric, because we know they will be worth a fortune some day, especially the 16" wheels which already are worth a fortune, and move on with your life. Mine is a wonderful car to drive with the 17" rubber.

MOSS likes this.