suctioning the old break tank | FerrariChat

suctioning the old break tank

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dersark_painclinic, Jul 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I decided to service the break system today. I worked on other cars but there is something different here on 550 break thank. I removed the cap to suction the reservoir, I almost suctioned half of the reservoir, there is 50% more in there. I see another cylindrical round plastic inside the reservoir loosely turns that needed to come out to have accesses to the rest of old fluid. I don't want to apply unnecessary force.
    Any guidance appreciate, Sark

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    it is a dirt screen and has one way barbs preventing you from removing it. Your option is to very carefully bleed this section by opening a caliper bleed screw. If you let it go down too far you will get air in the master and be screwed. Air in master can result in you having to even remove the master to bench bleed. That is extreme but happens. I hate the little screen thing. I stick a thin small screw driver forcing the plastic and releasing the tabs to pull the spinning thing out. Sometimes you lucky and it pops out clean. Sometimes you break a piece of plastic. Sometimes you bend the plastic and it leaves witness bend marks in the plastic. pick your poison. once out you still have to navigate a thin tube over a wall to get at that fluid. Suck out as much as you can and refill do some bleed and call it good. The best thing to do is never let the brake fluid get nasty and you will never have to do a 100% clean brake fluid purge R&&. I never open block freeze plugs, or oil pans, or 100% brake flushes. I always keep fluids in good order and change as much as I can and refill. I do the dilution method where there is always some old fluid left. It is a compromise but my old fluids are never nasty.

3. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Thanks Carl, my fault left the fluid in for long time and is dirty, so try to remove that plastic first without damaging, I will get back with more news. hopefully good news.

4. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Change all my fluids every January ....even when my tech says there fine haha crazy me :)
    Just can't service my car enough keeps it very happy ....

kinda drives him crazy especially doing the transfer case every year when he drains it he makes me look at how clean it is :)

5. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I tried to remove the filter but I don't think it will come out easily without leavening big scars . So I got may be little bit more than 60% of the old fluid out. I decided to order Motive power bleeder since I need to push larger volume than usual to get to the fresh fluid. There are closed now to call, any body has information for the correct adapter for our car , thanks.