manual 360 Modena stuck going into 2nd | FerrariChat

manual 360 Modena stuck going into 2nd

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by palmpalm, Jul 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. palmpalm

palmpalm Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    Test drove a car today, might buy it. Shifting into 2nd gear from either 1st or 3rd just doesn't want to go, gets into the gate and just doesn't want to continue, feels like hitting up against hard rubber. happening 9/10 times but otherwise engages no problem.Sales dude had no clue what it was. Car seems otherwise great. Thoughts?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome after ten years lurking ! Manual Ferraris do not typically easily shift into 2nd gear from cold - was this the case or also once car had warmed up ?

jdlegg likes this.
  3. palmpalm

palmpalm Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    Car was warm. And it wasn’t that. Was very much something wrong. Perhaps
    A bushing?

4. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
  5. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Mine had occasional issue, suspected bushing, bushing was fine, just needed adjustment. The shifter linkage requires careful adjustment to get into 2nd w/o issue, and you need someone well familiar with the 360 to do it right.

Bigilo likes this.
  6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Dewinator is correct, set up on that system is critical, however, if you are buying it, don't expect it to be easy or inexpensive. expect the worst and be surprised when it is an easy repair.

Dewinator, Bigilo and EastMemphis like this.
  7. palmpalm

palmpalm Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks guys. Mechanic at dealer drove the car for 30 minutes and couldnt replicate the issue. Says there is nothing to fix. ugh. I'm gonna go drive the car with him tomorrow. The salesman who was with me and the mechanic for our drives said he thinks it's due to my shifting style as the mechanic shifted differently. I said that's ******** because if you depressed the clutch pedal the car should shift into gear and my friend (an employee at this dealer) drove the car and had the same issue. Any advice?

8. palmpalm

palmpalm Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks. Ya, it took me ten years to afford to get a Ferrari. lol

Kevin Rev'n and NuorderSG like this.
  9. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Have you driven manual shift Ferraris before? If not - it may be your style of shifting. You need to shift into 2nd gear slowly and deliberately. Move the lever up to the neutral side-to-side slot, and then move the lever sideways in the neutral slot. Then bring the lever back to the slot leading to second gear and gently push it up to engage.

BE SURE THE GEARBOX OIL IS WARM. I generally avoid even trying to engage second gear until I have driven a mile or so. Go from first to third until oil warms up.

10. palmpalm

palmpalm Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks. This was my first time driving a manual Ferrari (have driven f1 shift before) The car was quite warm and was shifting into second fine at first and then it just would not go. Not on a down shift or an up shift or even with the car at a stand still at idle. Just felt like something hard and rubbery wouldn’t let it go. Certainly if that happened ina my of my Porsches it wouldn’t be normal

11. palmpalm

palmpalm Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    The mechanic and I both drove the car and he admitted something is definitely wrong and he's going to have to diagnose it. He doesn't think it's a bushing and is concerned it could be more serious. I will know more Monday

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    use redline MTL in the gearbox. problem solved

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  13. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    Don't buy it without it fixed to your satisfaction. Don't let emotion get the best of you. It could be a synchro issue, very expensive. There is no magic sauce that will fix the shift problem. Most of these cars have been through multiple owners, which mean each owner at some point (usually at the beginning of ownership) has redlined and/or power shifted the vehicle. Why do you think the vehicle is for sale?

NuorderSG and EastMemphis like this.
  14. palmpalm

palmpalm Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    So after all that the owner (car is on consignment) is refusing to even allow the dealership to diagnose the problem; so I walked away from the car. Shame because in every other way the car seems great.

EastMemphis and NuorderSG like this.
  15. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

A suggestion that has served me well: buy the newest Ferrari (or Porsche, or Lambo, or Bugatti) that you can stretcccch your budget to.

The incremental amount you spend to get a newer, flawless model that is exactly what you want will save you a tremendous amount of money, time, grief, and allow you to better enjoy ownership. There is no "cheap" bargain with these cars. A trouble free car is the Bargain that you want....not an inexpensive one that will cause you to lament the dollars you threw away

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  16. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Probably for the best then. You got a link to the car I may have some history on it?