Retrofit carbon fiber LED steering wheel? | FerrariChat

Retrofit carbon fiber LED steering wheel?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by blabus, Jul 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blabus

blabus Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I'm currently in the market for a 488 Spider and have found a spec that is quite literally near-perfect for me, with the single exception being that it does not have the carbon fiber steering wheel with LED shift lights. My preferred seating position in the 488 causes the steering wheel to block redline on the tachometer, so the shift lights are quite useful to compensate for that.

Does anyone know if it's possible to retrofit a carbon fiber wheel in the 488? They seem to pop up for sale on eBay somewhat regularly, but is it difficult/expensive to swap out? I would imagine it'd be fairly simple but then I also imagined it'd be simple to retrofit CarPlay, yet multiple dealers have told me that one is quite literally impossible, so was curious to hear if anyone has managed to change a wheel successfully!

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't know about the 488 (But imagine it would be the same), but I've heard of 458 owners that purchased the LED/CF wheel and installed it. After it's installed, you will either have to go into the car setup menu and turn on the wheel, or you will have to go to the dealer so they can add that option for it to be turned on. I don't remember which one. However, the short answer is, if it's the same as a 458 (which it should be), then yes, it could be retrofitted.

AlfistaPortoghese and MANDALAY like this.
  3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Correct. Find a dealer that will do it for you. Its only money stopping you.

BUT DONT buy one of the internet unless it absolutely 100% new.

You will notice that they do not contain airbags. Most likely gone off but also illegal to air freight them due to explosive nature.

A new one will come by ship so be prepared to wait.

up4speed likes this.
  4. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    I recommend having the vin number checked first by your dealer. That way you will know for sure it can be installed.

up4speed likes this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It's certainly possible, but the cost will be significant - it may be easier (and most cost efficient) to look for an already equipped car; there is no scarcity of used 488 for sale so finding the right spec should be possible...

6. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    I’d pass, personally. Got to be able to find the right car with an LED wheel.
    in terms of resale, besides condition of the car the led wheel seems to make the most difference. When shopping ferrari it’s the first thing I look for, no led wheel,skip. A) because it’s enjoyable and I view as mandatory and b) resale without it is significantly lower. A more important than B to me, but both factor in. Even with a retrofit, you will narrow your market if you decide to resell. If you are keeping it forever, no biggie have fun!

7. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    In the same vein I always compare the options plate with what is/is not on the car and tend to shy away from significant changes, of course one persons significant is anothers inconsequential.

8. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I did this on the 458. Bought it through dealer and they installed. Worked perfectly and was much better than the leather wheel. More interesting and special. Worth the $10k.

9. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If the car did not have the LED steering wheel, then you may need to get a proxy file from Ferrari to get the LED's to illuminate. My 458 has the LED' s but the NVO board within the steering wheel went bad (which controls the LED's and turn signals) and apparently had to get a proxy file from Ferrari to make them work again. I'm not sure where the proxy file resides. If it is in the steering wheel itself, then it may work.

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’ve changed the steering wheel on my 458, at my official Ferrari dealer. Part ordered from the factory using my VIN, installed and software updated to feature the option of switching off the LEDs. And that’s it.

Once there are a lot of unscrupulous sellers of expensive car parts on Ebay and parts whose authenticity is sometimes hard to ascertain, plus the need to update your car’s software, I’d strongly advise you to query your local Ferrari dealer.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Ash Patel and MANDALAY like this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You can have the LEDs on a leather steering wheel FYI. I have because im one of the very few that doesn't like carbon. Prefer luxury atmosphere

12. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Truth be told, in retrospect, I really like how carbon looks but I’m not crazy about how it feels. Talking about something like a steering wheel, had I known then what I know now, I’d do what you did, Angelo.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Danbossi and MANDALAY like this.
  13. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    For 458, for the LED lights to work, your dealer has to get a proxy file from Ferrari. Only Ferrari dealers can do it. Usually the car has to have it as an option.
    I recommend not to get the car unless your dealer promises you that they will do it if the CF important to you.

14. blabus

blabus Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Thanks for the info all! It sounds like the recommendation is to order a brand new wheel from Ferrari and have my dealer install it, which will probably run about $10k? After confirming with them that the shift lights can be properly enabled.

15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Don't forget about a FCA discount if you're in the states. At least that...

16. blabus

blabus Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    So I talked to my local dealer's service department and they confirmed that they can indeed swap the wheel out on the 488, and that it's a relatively quick process. They told me that I can either source the wheel myself, in which case I would need to purchase the $2,000 proxy file that enables the shift lights, or I could also order it new from Ferrari. The person I spoke with didn't know the cost for a 488 wheel off the top of her head, but had recently done the same type of swap on a California and told me it was $12,000 for the LED carbon fiber wheel (though the proxy file is included if purchasing from Ferrari).

Given the pretty high price (I was hoping a new wheel from Ferrari would be in the $7,000–8,000 range), does anyone know of any reputable places to source a wheel from? It sounds like eBay is a risky choice given many of those have come off of collision vehicles in which the airbag might have deployed.

17. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’m no one to contradict the information you were given and on top of that, I live in a very different market (in the US it seems parts and service are more expensive - shipping from Italy / import taxes perhaps?) and I’m not a 488 owner, but the exact same procedure on my 458 at my official Ferrari dealer was considerably less than half (before taxes) of the price you were given.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Okay I can give your real numbers as I have just done it.
    1-Not just the dealer can do it. My indi did it so long as your car had the option in the menu system.
    2-if not this is where it’s a ripoff: dealer wants proxy(500 usd)+ install roughly 800 and of course the wheel.
    They will rip u off in the wheel big time.if u don’t buy from
    Them they want 2500 extra.
    Total scam.
    Ferrari of SF and of Sillicon valley confirmed those numbers.
    I did it on my FF.
    My advice, unless you get a much cheaper car then buy one with it already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Eurospares has wheels I sourced my there.
    FerrParts has some too

20. Natkingcolebasket69

My wheel cost me 3200 from eurospares and looks brand new and at the door I was around 4200 with install etc

Danbossi likes this.
  21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I have said this before , if you go ebay :( also if you do go ebay note the country because you CANNOT air freight air bags. Buy new Ferrari or just don't do it.

Food for thought see if they can swap it for a F8 wheel, its better and better LEDs

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    They air freighted it ?????

23. Natkingcolebasket69

MANDALAY likes this.
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
  25. blabus

blabus Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Interesting, yeah I got that info from Ferrari of San Francisco. What independent shop did you use instead? Also, what do you mean by the car already having the shift light option in the menu system? Surely that wouldn't be present unless the car was specced with the carbon fiber wheel from the factory? If it's not present then I assume the only option is to have a Ferrari dealer do the install, in which case they charge you $2,000 for the proxy file.