Just drove the F8 spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just drove the F8 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Randyslovis, Jul 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #26 Shadowfax, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Yes true but parking an F8 would be like waiving a red flag at an already charging bull!! An ex army Hummer is probably a more suitable form of vehicle to be parking around town these days.

So again if you can't park the bloody thing anywhere and you need to be driving it at 200 mph to get any form of buzz out of it then what good is it? So much for the great DD story! Probably the only one the poor sales guy has to work with....and he's sticking with it bc he doesn't have anything else up his sleeve other than a spec sheet.

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Don’t waste your time trying to change the minds of the “broken record” crew. Every thread like this they love to jump in and say yet again how the F8 has no soul, no sound, it’s a Bentley..etc.

I don’t share their opinion and just ignore the continued nonsense, some of these folks need to move on to the next topic.. this one has been over beaten to death.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Had the word Bentley and my user not been called out I would have had no cause to enter this thread as I am totally and utterly disinterested in F8 after driving it. As I've said before if others like it good luck to them and I'm happy for them but if they love it so much and are so convinced then why continually refer my user and the word Bentley all the time knowing full well it will draw me in to validate my experience. Stop mentioning my user and the word Bentley and you won't see me for dust.

MANDALAY likes this.
  4. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Insert sarcastic humor here......

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that Raptor is a V6 and rides like a dump truck. Why not get a dually with the 6.7 power stroke diesel (lays down 1,050 ft-lbs of torque) and call it a day?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I will never use the word that starts with a B, since I would be very pleased to never hear shadow opine on the F8 ever again.

Drson and buddyg like this.
  6. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Clearly you've never owned one--I've owned 4. Rides like an Escalade to me (and yes owned several of those as well) and the V6 is plenty for city driving and ranch duty. I don't need to haul horses. Thanks though.

Back to Bentley forum...

Drson and wthensler like this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    My appology coincid. I guess i need to refrain from the stirrers who are playing me. I'm thinking my time has come here on fchat until something new presents worth me chatting about.

Drson and Coincid like this.
  8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    One of my VP's has a raptor, it's extremely comfortable. Nothing, from potholes to road debris, phase it.

Drson and IPO1 like this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    *in best 1970s dalek voice*
    “The 458 is supreme...488 and F8 suck...must exterminate...exterminate!”
    :)

10. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The F8 is a stunning car. On my F8 test drive I pressed it a few times on the drive. Has Ferrari set the bar higher yet again with the F8? Yup, you betcha they did! But, was it enough to lore me away from my beloved 488?

Drson and buddyg like this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I am of the belief that most 488 ( new bought ) would go to the F8 if it wasn't for the ridiculous Delta.

Drson, Il Co-Pilota and Coincid like this.
  12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #37 PhilNotHill, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    My 458 Spider is my daily driver April through October. If l wanted a Bentley l would buy one. If l wanted an F8 l would buy one as well.

I have not driven an F8. I am very happy with my 458. Can set up an appointment to drive an F8 but it is a 3.5 hour trip one way. Don’t want to risk a hotel virus. Maybe they will bring one to me to test drive on roads l am familiar with. Not holding my breath. ;)

13. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    This is very good news. Hopefully the same can be said for the new black series AMG which seems to make more tire noise than anything else.

I will say that I have seen several customer Tributos running around lately and they seem to sound just fine. I saw the dealer demo spider (giallo Tri strato with New Jersey plates) this past Saturday and it was darn near silent, even under heavy throttle. I assume this must have been the same euro spec car?

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Well I heard a Kline setup in a Pista today. If you think the F8 is too quiet change the exhaust to a Kline with a remote and presto. The high shrill will be there

Gh21631 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  15. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    The car I drove did have Jersey plates but DEFINITLY not the triple yellow. Regular giallo Modena.
    Car was started up by another person who was looking at it. Outside the car it sounded reasonable. It was only while driving that it had less sound on bigger throttle inputs. You get a gurgle out of the exhaust down low. As you are trundling along slowing for yields, stop signs, etc.you know it is not my silent Golf R. But then it dosen't seem to either build to a crescendo or change pitch as you give it the beans. Also, engine is so smooth and a lack of any appreciable NVH makes the epic push less epic than it would be with a few rough edges. Again, NOT saying it should have NVH. Just more amazing GT-like rather than true sports car like in demeanor.

Yes, the AMG Black series has a flat crank so should be wild. Plus cost likely less than F8 coupe by a mile.

Still, I have to go back to what kind of power can almost be can used on the street, cost, ease of driving to many locations "safely", and still possess a personality. I have to say with those qualifiers I am more interested in the new flat plane Z06.
    I could easily add one for 1/2 of the delta to trading my car in on an F8.

best

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  16. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I humbly feel there’s nothing even remotely comparable between a Bentley and an F8; a Bentley is a creature comfort car that happens to go fast. An F8 is a super sports car that happens to also manage to be comfortable. It seems I’m playing with words here, but on the road it becomes clear as day, imvho.

The F8 is one of the most striking Ferraris of late. I like it when a car at launch, like the one I attended at my local official Ferrari dealer, makes me stumble in my own words and I can’t quite explain why I want one. I just know I do, logic gone out the window.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

anishka, uhn2000 and Coincid like this.
  17. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Honestly the technology and performance between the 488 and the F8 felt incremental to me. Now the performance delta between the 458's and either the 488 or F8 is a massive leap forward. I think the 458 kids are the buyers for the F8 as the 458 is beginning to look dated..... We'll see what happens!!!

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thx, please share link or video. Would be the first really good sounding 488/Pista!

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Ferrari is pushing new customers. This way they don't know whats happening with the delta.

Technically its easy to get an ECU update $1500 and gain 75 kws 150 NM to be more powerful than the F8 or Pista but its not that.

I do like the upgrades , steering wheel, radiator positioning, intercoolers and air intake amongst other things....

Ill look at it when the last of the F8 orders need to be place. If I don't go forward ill be adding a Kline exhaust ( awesome ) and want to see if Ferrari can change my steering wheel to the new one.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This is likely what I am ordering this week for my Pista. I held off on the valve controller as I figured swapping the exhaust would be a better solution.

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    No don't hold of on the controller. The Pista that had the exhaust done originally had the valves pined. There was no instruction what to do and they just reconnected the valves. I told them they better get in touch with the owner as he wont like the no sound when the valves are closed.

If I were you get the controller and do not pin the valves as you then have the option. 200 cel makes a difference and going down to 100 or catless even more but I was happy with what I heard. But when the valves were closed boy oh boy was it quiet.

Looking at all the exhausts available this one impressed me the most and is unique that it has the valve after the silencer. Not even Ferrari does that OEM. I believe this and the iconel contribute the biggest differences and IMO they have put a lot of thought into it.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Kline has a valve controller that you can order with the exhaust.

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Yes and it conveniently just stays in your cigarette lighter. I definitely would take up the option.

Gh21631 likes this.
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The kline Inconel setup IMO is what the Pista should have had in the first place all Inconel.

Interesting if Ferrari offered this as an option I dare say 99.99% would have ticked it off. How many new that the only Inconel part was the exhaust manifold ?

Gh21631 likes this.
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

It seems that some mnfrs put very little time in optimizing the exhaust not to mention the sound limitations these days. It keeps the aftermarket guys in business though.

MANDALAY likes this.