Harry's Garage 812 Superfast Video. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Harry's Garage 812 Superfast Video.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by miurasv, Jul 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Tell me it s a joke, the SF 90 is 1886 kg and the F 8 over 1600 o_O

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Indeed and amazingly, sizes are very similar for the three cars (only 8 mm between the "narrower" 812 and the wider F8, with the SF90 in-between, and less than 9 cm between the longer SF90 and shorter F8), but weights are probably spread over more than 300 kg between the F8 and SF90: quoted (and certainly optimistic) kerb weights are 1435 and 1630 kg for the F8 and 812, and a dry weight of 1570kg is quoted for the SF90 (the Ferrari web site does not even dare to mention a kerb weight).

3. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Co-Pilota, I didn't think the point of the thread was dry or wet weight of the cars. That is not in dispute. I thought the question was how do the cars feel. My 812 feels much bigger than an F-8, but it may actually be narrower as you say. It may be the same weight, or lighter than, an F-8 but I can tell you that it heels a lot "heavier" to drive than my 488.

On another note, I just took delivery of one of the last Portofino's made before they switch to the new model. It is a beautiful and impressive car. I don't know how its dry weight compares to that of 812, but it feels to me like a go-kart compared to the 812.

4. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Wait - did you not ask which models feels light and tight - i.e sports car? If this is a "weight" question, I misunderstood (French not my native language). If this is which of the current models feel like sports cars, the answer for me is definitely the mid-engined cars: SF-90 and F-8. The 812 may be considered a sports car if you consider actual weight, but I see the 812 as a monster and definitely not a "sports" car.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The lightest version of the SF90 is 1570. A non-AF car is about 1680 with standard seats and alloy wheels. No way it is as heavy as you say. Not trying to change subject, but I completely fail to see how you end up at 1886.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Base 1500 + Hybrid system 275 + 4 Wheel drive 90 + ... = 1886 kg

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Where do you get those numbers from? Never seen those quoted by Ferrari anywhere. In all fairness we don't know the weight until someone puts one on the scales. It's also worth noting that while it has drive on the front wheels, if your 275 is right, that's definitely including the front wheel system, so those 90 kg for 4wd is off. The battery and wires alone is not 275, that must include everything in the EV system. Also, compared to the F8, the engine is 26 kg lighter and it uses a carbon rear bulkhead.

Time will tell, but I think you're aiming way too high here.

8. Cargt63

Cargt63 Karting

Aug 12, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I drive a 458 Speciale (see small photo to the left) and a 2018 911 Turbo S (my daily driver is the full size Range Rover). I really notice the weight difference between the two (talking about the Speciale and the Turbo S, not the Range Rover ;)). Although they are almost equally fast when you know what you are doing (the Turbo S has a couple of upgrades and around 660 hp), there is no comparison between the two. You can throw the Speciale around without much skill. The Porsche is much more difficult to drive fast on track.
    I have driven the F12 many times. It is absolutely fantastic car, but a GT. The Speciale is what I call a sportscar.
    Anyway, before you get upset again, let me point out that I am on this F12 forum because I seriously consider selling the Porsche and buy an F12. The F12 is emotional and gives you sweaty hands when you push it. The Porsche, though blistering fast, is a bit boring. This would be for our house in Europe, not the USA because here in PA there are hardly any exiting roads - exactly what Harry said about the UK - and the F12 would be perfect (I think), but perhaps I change my mind and buy a McLaren 675LT.

luigisayshello and ryalex like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well, I've yet to see a wet Speciale weigh in less that 1580 kg. Considering he weighted the car with a full tank, it just shows how close there cars are. So to claim that the 812 is not a sportscar due to its weight, makes no sense. Sure if you think the Speciale is more of a sportscar, fine. But just to turn your own statement around regarding what people think they drive, that's hypocritical. Your car is no more a lightweight sportscars than our Pistas, F8's, 488's or the like - including the 812. Your car is a streetcar, and in reality not very raw. Want raw? Try the GT3RS. Want something that feels a bit like a race car? 360CS. I'm offended if not down right insulted, and I think your statement about people not knowing what they drive, like we're just a bunch of poseurs is incredibly rude and arrogant, especially considering you're not driving anything different. Implying that others don't have a clue about what they drive, just because you have a Speciale? Lol. It's no more a lightweight sportscar than any of the other VS cars. It's actually the heaviest of the 360CS, Scud, Speciale and Pista. The VS cars gained weight until the Pista.
    So here we are. You don't know any more about what you drive than the rest of us.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Tu aurais une réponse si c était en anglais,)

Et honnêtement il y en a plus de légers et compactes... la dernière pour moi c est la 355 et puis voila.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Well I do hope you can find it in your heart to forgive those who find it intolerable to select wet unless the conditions call for it.

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Of course:)

papou likes this.
  13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William

Well the mid engines do feel as you describe. However, with more miles on this car, it is feeling lighter and tighter all the time. It just takes some time to get used to the fact the car doesn't drive the way it looks. It really can handle the curves when pushed.

KenU likes this.
  14. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    If the real weight is lower i ll invite you to the Montana ristorante:) !

15. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The 812 is in a class of its own- I call it a hyperGT- part GT and part HyperCar.
    It can run with the best of them and swallow the miles if it needs to. No it’s not the greatest at the comfy GT thing or the fastest on a technical track but on average it’s sublime at what it does and hopefully one day Ferrari will surpass it with an even better replacement but until that day arrives the 812S (and that includes the GTS) is the one and only hyperGT in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

italiafan and RamsHmb like this.
  16. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    from my experiment, wet is the softest ride for sure, sports and bumpy is not a good combo as the car bounce a lot on medium to bad road, however to my surprise Race and bumpy road is truly fantastic, the car is so sharp and still we all know on corners but even in straight not so smooth road to my surprise super sharp and no bounce, it act different to sports mode it bounces there, not sure why but I am glad I find this race/bumpy combo as my daily drive now , Thailand not so good road with this more than happy and it has become sports car category 1 GT all in one :)

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Won't say no to that:)

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's the thing Ferrari does better than anybody else. A car that is sharp as a razor but still works in the real world. It's like the first time pushing the 488 hard on track. A car this comfortable should not be able to do what the 488 does, it defies logic lol:D Lusso is the same way. S class comfort when you want it, and then it goes ballistic when you tickle the loud pedal just right.

ANOpax, SirPouyan and Mike Chawla like this.
  19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I enjoy Harry's videos. It doesn't bother me that there could be a generational disconnect because he's not pretending to be 20 years old. But there are things he says to which I disagree. But that's just opinions.

Regarding the tram lining, I found my car did this, and didn't feel quite natural when I was really pressing on in bends. I had an alignment performed, and it transformed the car. It is still a very fast steering car, and it can sometimes tramline, but it is much much better, and the feeling of the car rotating in turns is much better as well. I would just say to anyone getting a new Ferrari, its worth the investment to have your dealer perform an alignment. Watching his video I kept wondering if perhaps the lockdowns, etc, maybe the car could use an alignment.

About the wet mode driving, it will also affect throttle response, fuel map, shift smoothness, all the traction and stability systems, etc, so perhaps he is just simply looking for the most gentle mode.

Mike, very interesting about the race mode. My own experience is when you press the bumpy road mode button in sport or race, the car will soften the dampers, but if you start driving more aggressively, it seems like it can readjust them a little. So I wonder if the programming is such that it has different reactions based upon the mode you are in- that it is not as simple as it might first seem. The idea being for example, you are in race mode so you want the car to be so sporty, but you've asked for a little better ride. I will play with this the next time I have the car out.