F8 exhaust options. GPF delete | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F8 exhaust options. GPF delete

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LMH, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I’m very very happy with the car, including the way it sounds. It will never sound like my 458 or an Aventador, but the car is exponentially better in every other way. Being able to keep the valves open is a little icing on the cake.

Viperjoe, SECRET, Caeruleus11 and 9 others like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    And that in a nutshell is what the sound debate is all about. Sound is not as good but in every other measure the car is superior. Congrats Arnie!

SECRET, Caeruleus11, uhn2000 and 3 others like this.
  3. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Thanks man!

SECRET, uhn2000 and LMH like this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The only one thing that confuses me is when the valves were pinned you had a cel light but with the Capristo controller you don't. To me that doesn't make sense. I wonder what the dealer did to pin the values. This issue isn't observed with the 488 or Pista.

5. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I agree, which is why I asked for confirmation in writing. This was the response from Capristo when I ask for an explanation.

“Our kit has a “piggyback” electronic pass through. The module is “in line” in the harness chain so the computer never gets a code that valves are not functioning. Whereas pinning them open you have the electronics getting no feedback and a change in vacuum pressure. Our module can then override factory function signal to keep valves open at all times as default and just use remote to go back to OEM control“

FLU, SECRET, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ok , bit over my head on that answer , but if it works , God Speed. Wonder if all the other suppliers will do the same . Enjoy you car mate.

SECRET likes this.
  7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

That’s just awesome, thank you for figuring this out for the rest of us. ! Score 1 for the home team.

SECRET likes this.
  8. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Basically the controler tells the system everything is ok but you can open the valves the whole time and it still tells it all is ok, it lies to the sensor so you can do what you want

SECRET and uhn2000 like this.
  9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Arnie how much was the capristo and did the dealer do the install?

SECRET likes this.
  10. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Hey Buddy. It was around $1600 installed. And yes, I bought the package from my dealer.

SECRET likes this.
  11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    So you would think it wouldn’t effect the warranty, what did the dealer say about that?

12. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Never asked. It does make me feel comfortable that they did it though.

PTG1 likes this.
  13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If you can’t beat em , join em.
    What if instead of trying to defeat the GPF, one used a lighter and less sound reducing muffler?
    Could that improve the exhaust music?

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Even better would be a sound engineer working with one of the companies e.g Kline. But I guess they all take the easier route and just give an option with muffler delete.

Doesn't help also with distributors like Vivid not actually having any videos and stating what the equipment is.

15. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Eurospares finally has parts diagrams for the F8 on their website:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Just realized the GPF is integrated into the silencer (muffler). So it seems you could just replace the entire assembly (Like the Novitec valved exhaust) and leave the OEM CAT pipes in place. Might be a good starting point instead of replacing the upstream CAT pipes as well. Of course you’d have to add the “Techtronic” plug in to avoid CELs. Will be interesting to see more vendors solutions as they come to market.

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I don't believe there is any reason not to believe that the diagram above is not correct.

Having said that it can be clearly seen that there is ZERO control ECU wise with the GPF its all BS

17. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #92 Dicecal, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    That appears to be the case, so you may be able to replace the rear silencer and GPF with a valved system and maybe not have any CELs?

18. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This sounds like this could be a good option

19. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    I wonder why Ferrari went with no silencers on the Roma but kept them on the F8? You would think the F8 is supposed to be the more aggressive sounding car given its place in the sports car lineup rather than the GT lineup? Maybe they dumbed it down on purpose to ensure the SF90 would produce a more aggressive sound?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the answer is this. They deleted the resonators, but not the actual mufflers. The F8 does not have resonators. I peaked in under the Roma, and there's definitely a box. The GPF is up front so it was not that. Sometimes dealers will say the oddest things to make things more attractive. If they on purpose did something to make the F8 sound less aggressive, why the hotpipe, and why on earth then not make the entry level car that is supposed to be less frightning even quieter? I've heard them both and to say that the F8 is less aggressive and more quiet is B.S.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  21. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just got off the phone with a Novitec North America rep and he claims you will have to use the Techtronic plug with the valved exhaust to keep the CELs away...

22. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Sounds like the typical dealer sales pitch. I haven’t heard the Roma in person yet so I’ll take your word for it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    So both Capristo and novitec both stating they don't throw a cel. Well IMO just having control of the valve shouldn't. Cel wil depend if you change the cats and to what level. Ive seen 200 not affect cel but 100 and decat do hence why they put extensions on the O2 sensor bung and state you need a tune.

My opinion is that all the companies that have valve control you wont get a cel. Also going buy the diagrams You can do what you want like a 488 GTB or Pista.

Gh21631 likes this.
  24. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for posting Arnie. I am ordering this on Monday. So glad you gave it a try and shared with all of us.

25. pvgtv

pvgtv Rookie

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    AK
    I should’ve checked here before asking the dealer to unplug the lines basically right after taking delivery. Never had issues doing this on my other Ferraris but sure enough CEL came on after 80 miles of driving. Sound was SO unbelievably disappointing without the valves open that it is difficult to describe. And conversely improved to a very happy place with them open. My dealer has always done right by me and they are looking into solutions. Anyone have issues w Capristo yet? Any input much appreciated.

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.