I finally have 50679. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

I finally have 50679.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bjwhite, Apr 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Brian, this looks awesome. Any updates? If possible, I’d love to hear a sound clip!

Good luck on the install!

Ruben

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Thanks Ruben. Not installed just yet. Working to get the flanges welded up and the pipes extended at the ends to fit the cats. Working on it.

I can't wait to hear it.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    New (used) lift installed today. Now ready to do some cutting and test fitting. But first I threw the X1/9 up there to check out the soon to be removed gearbox.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  4. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Hi @bjwhite Brian
    Just wondering if you are finished with the exhaust.

It seems my rear mufflers are shot, the sound of my exhaust is not nice at all and the cost of replacing all the system is prohibitive.

My mechanic recommends to do straight pipes from the heathers to the back and use stingless steel mufflers with my original Ansa tips.

I like the idea but I don’t want to let go of the vintage v12 sound that I would like my car to have.

What are your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    It's really a mater of personal preference, my brother's 365 does not have the middle section and he likes it a lot, whereas I've kept the complete exhaust. On the positive side
    1) the exhaust under the car is easy to damage, so a straight pipe is far less troubles
    2) the sound is really nice when cruising on the countryside.

Overall my brother considers the car feels more like a "proper Ferrari"...

This is however really noisy on the highway (130kmh). After 2 hours on the highway I suffer from ringing in the ears. Your mileage may vary, but whenever I take the little kid with me I just give him a Bose QC headphone. Needless to say the lady never gets in this particular car.

My car has stainless exhaust with all mufflers. This is slightly noisier than stock (a bit more treble), does not sound as good as straight pipes at low speed, but much more comfortable. I Like it better.

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Not yet. After I pulled the engine/gearbox out of the X1/9, I dropped the Fiat off the lift and got the 400i up in the air just yesterday. I then removed the center sections in their 85% installed state which was a hell of a job in its own right. So now the car is up on the lift with the rear sections installed but no center sections at all.

I'll be installing the balancing pipe caps (the side holes in the headers) here in the next few days and then mocking everything up with measurements. Then I will need to have a couple pipes bent of course because the difference in width between the Magnaflow cat input flanges and the width between the header outputs. Then some welding, and then hopefully it goes together without much fuss.

7. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thanks Brian for the update, I look forward to seeing the end result.
    Good luck with the undertaking.

8. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thank you for this information, very valuable.

I am having trouble finding the doughnuts that go between the heather and the cat, I purchased a set in the UK through Eurospares and I received a set 3 inches when the car calls for 2”

Do you have any recommendations where to find them in the USA ?

Thank you.

9. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    @bjwhite
    I am having trouble finding the doughnuts that go between the heather and the cat, I purchased a set in the UK through Eurospares and I received a set 3 inches when the car calls for 2”

Do you have any recommendations where to find them in the USA ?

Thank you.

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Exhaust center sections removed. New cat sitting on top.

BTW Ricardo, these cars didn't have cats from the factory. The o rings I pointed you to on Eurospares are the factory parts between the headers and the center exhaust sections. If those don't work for you, then what you have isn't factory stock (and if you have cats, then what you have isn't stock).

Best bet will be to start a new thread here with pictures and/or take it to an exhaust shop--they should be able to help.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Hi Brian
    The parts that received from Eurospares were too big for the header.

They are working with me to sort this out.

My center resonators were made by Timevalve si the size of all tubing has not changed.

Thank you much for your comments.

12. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    Congrats. 400i stick is on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior