08 Scuderia Alcantara airbag discoloration / mismatch. Repair? | FerrariChat

08 Scuderia Alcantara airbag discoloration / mismatch. Repair?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ShineKen, Apr 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you buy a Scuderia we a re-upholstered Alcantara passenger airbag?

1. No. Car's originality is being tampered with and I will not consider such a car.

2. Yes. As long as the workmanship is up to par I could care less. Does not de-value car.

3. Doesn't affect car as a potential purchase, but does de-value the car.

4. will no doubt consider car and consider the re-upholster as a bonus.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #1 ShineKen, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I tried doing a search, but I couldn't find any past discussion on the topic. I have noticed on virtually all 08 Scuderias equipped with an Alcantara dash have a mismatched alcantara for the passenger airbag. Discolored could be the right word, but it seems to be the norm on 08 models. As if Ferrari had someone else upholster the airbag with a different colored batch of Alcantara. On 09s, it is perfectly matched with the dash. It is a bit of an eye sore to me.

What I would like to know is if anyone has gone through the trouble of having it re-upholstered. I believe alcantara is a trademark fabric and there is only one source it comes from, so there shouldn't be a problem getting a matching fabric?

What i would also like to know is if the market sees the re-upholster as tampering and damaging the originality of the car, thus devaluing it and ignoring the car as a potential buy or if the market sees it as a desireable "upgrade" and treat it as normal. Or if the market is indifferent.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #2 ShineKen, Apr 29, 2015
  3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #3 f355spider, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    That would bug the crap out of me, and I would get it replaced. I would also save the old fabric, so if some idiot actually wanted to have the faded crap, they can. ;) But I avoided the problem by simply buying a 2009. And btw, this would so very easy for a future owner to reproduce the faded look (if the fabric cannot be saved), that I would certainly fix it and not think about it again.

That is not an uncommon problem with Ferrari in general. Many period 328s from 88 and 89 had dye lots that faded at a different rate on the seats, versus the door panels. Really looks bad, and especially a problem on the GTS. Why would anyone want to keep it that way?

My 87 328GTS had mismatched badges on the rear, presumably from the factory, as I had seen a couple others that way online and in books. One badge was black (there is a "328" ,the other "GTS"), one kind of goldish. People would always comment on it...I really didn't care, but the comments were starting to annoy me, so I bought a matching black badge like most other 328s had, and saved the gold one for the next owner. I forget which was gold, but the badge was cheap at the time (2002) and set me back all of $50 or so.

4. JDoggery

JDoggery Rookie

Nov 1, 2013
    I would rather have matching and maybe keeping the old piece as someone mentioned when you want to sell. The color difference is quite annoying.

And speaking of that how about those carbon fiber headlights. Shame as those look horrible as well.

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My buddy's 250 mi garage-kept 08 has the same mismatch color. I don't think this is a fading issue. Came from Ferrari mismatched.

Manda racing likes this.
  6. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    Weird. I have a 6000 mile '08 with no mismatch color issue. Maybe only some '08s are affected?

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Perhaps yours is a late 08?

8. CF Shield

CF Shield Karting

Oct 22, 2014
    Norcal
    My 08 scud has mismatched color but my 09 is perfect. I'm pretty sure it is from the factory.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #9 ShineKen, May 1, 2015
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #10 ShineKen, May 1, 2015
  11. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Bringing back this old thread as the mismatched Alcantara airbag on my 08 is bothering me as well. Has anyone been able to find a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
  13. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks @mwstewart! Now I just need to find the factory color code for the alcantara.

14. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    DeTomasoGTS74 and f355spider like this.
  15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    mstewart, just curious would you happen to have the details on the cabin roof /seat center upholstery?

16. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, I have that fabric if you mean the textured, high grip option. What colour? There is black, red, and yellow.

17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Red

18. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just had the guy who replaced my headliner in the Aston finally come by with the sample book. When he put 9002 against it the color more resembled the lighter look of the airbag cover.

It appears to be either one of these two:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

where can I buy alcantara 9002?