car design thread | Page 413 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Of course not!

2. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    tritone and jm2 like this.
  4. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    The car is an Esso 67-X — one of four that were created by George Barris on Olds Toro for a give-a-way promotion by Esso to mark Canadian Centennial in 1967 .
    No further comment required...:eek:

G. Pepper, tritone, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Please note: my "like" of your post does not connote acceptance of this design; only your diligent research.......:cool:

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Try as I might to keep my contributions on a positive note (see post # 10285)........:cool: this design SUCKS BIGLY imho.
    Will I ever get over it? Even the '68 - 83? did not seem so fugly.
    Wish someone could do a make-over removing all of the unneccesary slits slots scoops gills grilles t-tops etc so I could lust after a 'Vette again.....like I can still lust after a split window....(did we hate on that one as much in '63?) sigh......:rolleyes:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jm2 likes this.
  7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    You had to be there, the 1960's were wild and the wilder the better!
    Just ask Eric von Zipper...

A couple of examples of the receptive market for these zany products>

The Munster Koach

By Jack Stewart

Abnormal was the norm for TV shows in the Sixties. The airwaves were full of Martians (My Favorite Martian), witches (Bewitched), genies (I Dream of Jeannie), costumed super heroes (Batman, The Green Hornet), and lovable mountain folk in luxury environs (The Beverly Hillbillies). Amidst this sea of wackiness, the dueling creep-show families of The Munsters and The Addams Family fit right in. However, The Munsters gets bonus points in our book for giving the family car a starring role. While the Addams’ 1930 Packard touring car was rarely seen, the Munster Koach was a regular costar. The wild stretched-wheelbase, Model-T hot rod/hearse hybrid made its debut in episode four (Rock-A-Bye Munster), when Lily goes to a used-car lot to buy a car for husband Herman’s birthday (she arrives in a 1937 Cadillac limo, by the way). She likes both a T-bucket hot rod and a 1920s hearse (a rare and expensive Cunningham V8), and asks to have a customizer combine the two.

More TV and movie cars

The Munster Koach was built at famed customizer George Barris’s shop.

In real life, famed customizer George Barris was given 21 days to build a vehicle for the series. He paid artist/designer Tom Daniel $200 to whip up a wild ride for a spooky sitcom family. (Daniel later designed the Red Baron model kit for Monogram, which was one of the best selling model car kits of all time.) Barris then had Dick Dean and employees of the Barris shop turn Daniel’s drawing into reality.

What Was The “Beverly Hillbillies” Truck?

Herman Munster worked in a funeral home, and there were funeral-themed details on the Koach, such as casket handles on the hood, “cobwebbed” lantern headlights, and lots of rolled-steel scrollwork. Three fiberglass Ford Model T bodies were used to form the bodywork, which stretched over a 133-inch-wheelbase chassis. The 18-foot long Koach had four rows of seats—including a bench seat hanging precariously off the back. All were upholstered in blood-red velvet, which was lost on viewers of the black and white TV show. The engine was Ford 289-cid V8 that was hopped up with Jahns high-compression pistons, Isky cam, Bobby Barr exhaust headers, and a wild (but fake) 10-carburetor setup that concealed a single four-barrel carb. Barris was paid $18,000 to create the Munster Koach.

The Koach was fully drivable, though it was a bit of a squeeze for its TV pilot. Since actor Fred Gwynne was six foot five in real life and seven feet tall in his Herman Munster costume, the seat cushion had to be removed for Gwynne to fit behind the wheel. One day during filming, Gwynne piled the cast into the Koach and drove off the Universal Studios lot—much to the delight of people on the streets of Universal City.

The Munster Koach debuted in the episode “Rock-A-Bye Munster.” Lily Munster heads to a used-car lot in search of Herman’s birthday gift, and asks for this righteous T-bucket hot rod to be combined with a 1920s hearse.

Both the Munster Koach and Drag-u-la are available as AMT model kits.

In one episode (Hot Rod Herman), Herman loses the Koach in a drag-race bet. Grandpa Munster, who was both a vampire and an inventor, tells Herman to “bring home a box from work.” Herman brings home a casket that Grandpa turns into a dragster dubbed Drag-u-la. Grandpa and Herman win back the Koach, of course, and the Munsters became a two-hot-rod family. The Barris shop built the Drag-u-la as well, working off another Tom Daniel concept sketch (Daniel also came up with the Drag-u-la name). Drag-u-la rode on a Dragmaster chassis and had a 289-cid Ford V8 fitted with exhaust headers shaped like organ pipes.

Munster Koach and Drag-u-la model kits were released by AMT in the Sixties, and both have been reissued recently. The real Munster Koach was formerly on display at Cars of the Stars Motor Museum in Keswick, England and Drag-u-la is at Volo Auto Museum in Volo, Illinois. As with many other TV cars, several replicas are also floating around.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What is with all the ****ing black wheels? Not only are they too ****ing big, but they are butt-ass ugly.

Oh, and while I'm here, why is Mazda the only car company that can do candy apple red?

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Two excellent questions!
    Don't get me started on black wheels. I've stated my distain for a number of years.

Mazda red however is very cool. Red is expensive to paint because of the pigments involved. Their red in particular is bright and deep. But they nailed that color. takes me back to the 'kustom kar era!'

ingegnere, anunakki, C50 and 5 others like this.
  10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wouldn’t a candy apple Ferrari be cool? How about a C8?

And what’s up with these baby **** colors? [Actually I know the answer to this one.]

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jm2 likes this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Ferrari has a color just like Candy Apple Red. One of them is a Try-Coat paint. Don't know the color name though.

Texas Forever and of2worlds like this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    One of the custom paints is Rosso Coburn named after the original owner who had the color for his Speciale.
    Also used by a different owner for the Pista pictured here>

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone, anunakki, G. Pepper and 4 others like this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes, that's it!

energy88, Texas Forever and of2worlds like this.
  15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    And I thought that I was the only one who noticed the Mazda red. Probably next up for honorable mention is a Ford red seen on some Mustangs and Trucks.

As for black wheels, it makes a car look incomplete and reminds me of wheels installed on el cheapo entry-level cars.

of2worlds, Texas Forever and jm2 like this.
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The '58 Chevy was never one of my favorites, and wire wheels are so yesterday, and yet.............I think this is very cool.
    Clean and understated.
    Well done!
    Fifties Flashback! Pat Ganahl showcases CHEVY & FORD: 1950s CUSTOMS – ’58 Impala and ’49 Ford – that celebrate an era when car enthusiasts truly personalized their street and show rides. Check it out @ http://carguychronicles.com/

colombo2cam, Tenney, anunakki and 3 others like this.
  17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I would LOVE a Roma that color! :)

of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  19. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  20. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Same here. I've been waiting for this to come out for quite some time now.

I'm not in the market for a new car any time soon, but in a couple of years these Broncos will be hitting the CPO market and pre-owned private markets, so I'll definitely be having a closer look at that time.

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2 likes this.
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    G. Pepper likes this.
  22. jm2